2013 Charge Door lock option?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkendt1989

What do you guys keep the switch at for the charge door lock on the Leaf? There is Auto off and on. Just wondering what you guys normally keep it at and the positives or negatives of having it on that.

Thanks!

P.S. - Got my leaf today! Loving it so far!!!

jkendt1989 said:
What do you guys keep the switch at for the charge door lock on the Leaf? There is Auto off and on. Just wondering what you guys normally keep it at and the positives or negatives of having it on that.

Thanks!

That controls options for locking the charge connector to the car. I keep it unlocked all the time. No reason to lock at home for sure. If your charging in public and really don't want someone to unplug you can use auto. Leaving it locked seems less polite in case someone else wanted to try and charge.

dm33 said:
jkendt1989 said:

Thanks!

That controls options for locking the charge connector to the car. I keep it unlocked all the time. No reason to lock at home for sure. If your charging in public and really don't want someone to unplug you can use auto. Leaving it locked seems less polite in case someone else wanted to try and charge.

Ohhhh, so it has nothing to do with the charge door. It only locks the plug into the charger? Auto would mean it auto locks when plugged in and On means it currently lock. Yea I agree, I see no reason to have it on while charging at home. Thanks for the info!

When at work and using my 120V evse, I keep it locked. The parking lot has had GPS units, etc stolen in the past, so no need to lose the nissan evse. Otherwise, I keep it unlocked. Every morning at work I just hit the three buttons across (open charger door, port lock, and timer override) then plug in. Works for me and is now in muscle memory.

jkendt1989 said:
Auto would mean it auto locks when plugged in and On means it currently lock.

I believe Auto means it stays locked until the car is done charging, then unlocks it so other people can use the charger. On means it is locked until the owner or driver unlocks it, even if the battery is 100% full.

There are no kids around my driveway so I keep it set to off at home and I've only charged once the first week just to try it out and I didn't know what they meant back then so I left the buttons alone.

I set mine to OFF the day I got the car, and haven't changed it since. I do charge in the driveway, and there are occasionally neighborhood kids playing there, but they have never messed with the charging connection. I don't worry about losing my EVSE Upgrade because the other end of it is inside an enclosure behind a fence.

If I were ever charging from a plug in a parking lot or some other public place I might change it to ON for that, though I also have a small padlock that I got for that purpose when I had my 2011 LEAF.

Ray

jkendt1989 said:
Ohhhh, so it has nothing to do with the charge door. It only locks the plug into the charger?
Correct, it has nothing to do w/the charge door. It locks the J1772 handle to the inlet on the car side.

There are THREE settings, not two. Please see pages CH-18 thru 20 in the manual for a description and the caveats.

I almost never use it. Prior to the '13 Leaf being even available for sale, I examine a pre-production unit and observed the locking mechanism appears to be plastic or nylon. I'd be concerned having it in a lock position and someone breaking the mechanism via brute force.

Back