2013 Leaf dates?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/03/20/nissan-leaf-update-will-add-new-heater-25-miles-of-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am wondering if this heater upgrade would be possible on current Gen Leaf.

IBELEAF said:

That's the question of the day. If we knew whether it was a hardware or software (only) fix would at least tell us whether 2011/12 Leafs could derive some partial benefit (say +10 mile better instead of +20 miles better for example).

Stanton said:
IBELEAF said:

That's the question of the day. If we knew whether it was a hardware or software (only) fix would at least tell us whether 2011/12 Leafs could derive some partial benefit (say +10 mile better instead of +20 miles better for example).

"Up to 25 miles" range increase?

A heat pump could do this, only in higher ambient temperatures, and only in "100 mile LEAF range" miles, IMO.

Probably an expensive modification, to 2011-12 cars, in any case.

The problem with Nissan's heater, is lack of energy storage to convert to heat, and the fact that, without a heat pump, there's no way to pick up available heat (energy) as you drive.

Herm said:
lukati said:
(crappy review by the way)

Surprising the Germans are not into electrics..
Diesel is king. And there are no government incentives and electricity prices are quite high due, in part, to the massive subsidy for solar panels. The government is probably waiting until there are a few German made electric cars before starting to offer incentives. Once BMW, VW, and Daimler all have at least one EV or PHEV in production, the situation might change.

It requires hardware changes that would not be practical in an existing vehicle. It's basically the same story as the 6.6w charger retrofit; it's not going to happen.

IBELEAF said:
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/03/20/nissan-leaf-update-will-add-new-heater-25-miles-of-range/

@DaveinOlyWa -- plugged in with 2 bars left, walked across the street to see movie, i get out and i am back to 12 bars --

Miracle! You must have a 6.6 in your Leaf! That's 10 bars (65 miles) in 2.5 hours.
Please explain...

ILETRIC said:
@DaveinOlyWa -- plugged in with 2 bars left, walked across the street to see movie, i get out and i am back to 12 bars --

Miracle! You must have a 6.6 in your Leaf! That's 10 bars (65 miles) in 2.5 hours.
Please explain...

ok, no problem. went to see "John Carter" which is a movie of 2+ hours that started at 3:45, records show that i plugged in at 2:32 and unplugged at 6:18

as far as movie going; i am NOT a fan of going to movies on opening weekend which is why we waited until the 2nd week, but my movie partner insists upon going early enough to get a good seat (IMAX supposedly does not have bad seats) and to see all the previews which is the reason why we got there so early

but for one who goes often, we have to get there early enough to swing by Shopko since they advertise "Theater Candy" at $1.29 a box of which we aquired 2 boxes along with pajamas for my Son (this gives you an idea of "someone's" addiction over shopping

**edit**

this illustrates the reason why alternative methods of monitoring charge and capacity are so popular. i ended up with charge near 100% was still charging when i unplugged so maybe 95%?? but checked chargepoint and only charged 14.128 KW so if i had 21 to use and assuming 87% efficiency then i only put back 12.3 KW which would mean...

OMG !! the GOM Lied to me!! oh, well, still aint walking so i am good

sdittm1 said:
Any speculation as to what the added cost of a 6.6kw charger will be on the 2013 model?

Over on plugincars.com there is some speculation that it may just be a default feature at no added cost:

http://www.plugincars.com/2013-nissan-leaf-heating-system-66-kw-charger-119180.html#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ex-EV1 driver - The cost shouldn't be an issue. All of the internal wiring of the battery is already big enough to handle 6.6 Kw because the motor requires it. It shouldn't add anything to the vehicle cost.

The problem that led to the wimpy 3.3 Kw charging was simply a lack of foresight. Nissan product managers didn't think beyond Japan whose 240 outlets are limited to 15 Amps (~3.3 Kw) and didn't realize that US households usually are wired for 240 volt, 30 and 50 Amp service to handle electric dryers, ranges, and air conditioners.

I'm fine with Nissan using 6.6 Kw as a value-add option though. There may be some people who really don't do much driving for whom 3.3 Kw is sufficient, just as 1.2 Kw (120 volt) works for some. Choice is good.

I'd much rather have mirror memory than electric seats unless they are planning to offer a LOT more adjustability in the seats themselves as well... On things like the 12 way adjustable seats on my Bimmer and Acura, it is nice, but with the few adjustments on the current Leaf seats, mostly unnecessary.
TonyWilliams said:
2013 LEAF will have additional colors (but reportedly not green), and electric seats offered.

Back