2013 LEAF S Charging Problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearscout

Greetings,

I've looked at posts on some of the other threads and want to relate this, somewhat different, story.

I use the EVSE upgraded charger for my LEAF S. Although it doesn't have the enhanced 6kW charger, I got the EVSE upgrade for that after consulting with Ingineer on the matter. Even if this model S EVSE couldn't take advantage of a charger of greater capacity, the car wouldn't draw more than, well, what it draws! Then, I would have a suitable EVSE should I upgrade to more charging capacity with my next LEAF.

As winter comes down South to Georgia, I decided to try out the Climate Control Timer. Almost immediately, I started having problems with getting a full charge. The very first time I used it (with Charge Level at 100% and using a 240v source) it worked fine. But within days, after shifting back to 80% and using a 120v source, I found that my charge was only around 50%. A warning light comes on the display and, yes, I'm taking it in to the dealer.

Since then, there have been 4-5 instances when I failed to get a full charge, whether to 80% or 100%. I've found that by unplugging the EVSE from the LEAF and plugging it back in, it sometimes seems to continue the charging process. No fault light on the EVSE. No thrown breakers.

As I try to determine what charging options trigger the problem, I'm finding that my menus sometimes don't switch from 80% to 100% or from Climate Control Timer ON to OFF. Yes, maybe it's how I enter those menu options, but I've got plenty of experience doing it and double checked my work only to come out the next morning and find something reverted to an earlier setting.

Of course, I'm thinking software glitch. But I'm a bit nervous that the dealership may just as quickly assume it's the EVSE upgrade that is the source of the trouble. The dealership was aware I was going to use EVSE upgrade and didn't voice any objections (at the time of purchase.) I am also wondering about a problem in the EVSE cable, although I treat that with kid gloves.

Thoughts? Experiences to share?

Many thanks...

Jim

I wouldn't entertain any discussion with the dealership that it is the EVSEupgrade. Just let them know that is very unlikely and that they will need to prove that if they want to avoid a warranty repair.

I'm wondering if you have had the PDM reprogramming done that is available for the 2013s?

Yes, from your join date it looks like your 2013 may have been built before July, 2013. There is a software update that is supposed to make the car more compatible with different charging stations. I'd get that done.

You can't expect too much in the way of climate control and charging at the same time with 120v charging, there just isn't enough ampacity to do both. Your problem may be that you're just not allowing enough time for the car to get fully charged, unless it has turned off and is indicating a full charge.

WRT the climate timer and charge level settings, be sure to hit the enter button after making your changes, then hit it again to exit the setting screen. Otherwise, your setting won't be saved. This happened to me a couple times when setting the climate timer.

^^^
Yep. Sounds like the OP might need NTB13-069 applied. See my "saga" at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=329929#p329929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

One can download the PDF of that TSB at http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=783#.UpJ-bSektRA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You need to get a free account and click on the 3.5" disk icon, when logged in. You're limited to 2 files/day w/a free account.

Took the vehicle to Regal Nissan here in Atlanta Monday morning.

As noted above, they didn't bother to ask about the EVSE upgrade, just proceeded to perform the software update. The dealership listed it as "Reprogram Campaign NTB 13-098 software update in the power delivery module."

No charge. Nice wash and vacuum! ;-)

I'll assume it fixes the problem unless I see otherwise. 32F today, so it will be a good time to test tomorrow when it's supposed to dip into the 20's by morning.

I do charge it at 240v if I have less than half a charge.

Many thanks for your helpful replies!

I hope it's all fixed now. At least yours didn't almost catch on fire while it was charging at a Blink charger. Now my wife and and I are worried about charging the car from now on. And Nissan couldn't care less. They won't let us out of the lease early.

I hope it's all fixed now. At least yours didn't almost catch on fire while it was charging at a Blink charger. Now my wife and and I are worried about charging the car from now on. And Nissan couldn't care less. They won't let us out of the lease early.

BoydLeaf: Tells us more details about your problem, maybe someone has some more information to help you out.

Charging + climate @ 120V = Fail period, it simply will not happen end of story

Charging + climate @ 240V = some what usefull if you got the 3.3Kw charger, the climate system will goble that up easily

Even with my 6Kw charger I find that at some points at first it cuts into the batteries till the cab warms up enough that it dials back and the batteries recharge as the temp is held.

Because of reasons I can't get into, I can't share many details, but here's what I can share.

I had the car charging on of the Blink chargers and I was told to come outside because my car was seen having smoke coming out of the hood. When I got there, I saw the Fire Department surrounding my car. They could not get the charger cord to separate from the charging port of the car. After about an hour, they finally got it separated, all while having the fire hose ready to put out any fire that might start. The charging cord started melting to the charging port. Then I had the car towed to Nissan dealership. A few days later, I was told my car was ready to be picked up. I was told the failure was blamed on the Blink charger and that there was nothing wrong with the car. The next day I started a claim with the EV Customer Support Team. After 12 days, they said that they would not be able to help us out of the lease because not enough money has been spent on repairs to the car. A couple weeks later, I started a second case with Nissan Consumer Affairs after sending them an email that included this..."As I mentioned before, both my wife and I are scared to charge this car anymore. The main reason for this is that we were told the car is fine, however the charging station was the issue. That makes it difficult for us to feel safe charging our car at any charging stations with no idea if this will, could, might happen again. This time we were really lucky that we were in a location that not only discovered the issue in a timely manner, but also had the resources available to handle the situation. What happens next time? What if this had happened at one of the hotels that we often charge at and went unnoticed? What kind of damage could a charging issue result in? How liable would we be for any damages to the location, charger, our car, other cars, or God forbid someone gets hurt due to a repeat of our safety issues with this car? We want to let you know that we like the concept of the car and we have enjoyed having the car, however we really feel that it’s a big safety issue for us. Personally we are lead to believe that Nissan put a few dollars ahead of whether a customer feels safe charging one of their vehicles." We heard back from them a few days later, stating that they weren't able to help with the situation. In the email I received from Nissan Consumer Affairs, it included the line that says “As a valued Nissan customer, your satisfaction throughout your ownership experience is our company’s highest priority.”, sure doesn’t seem truthful to me.

Back