2013 Leaf steering twitch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithereens

Hello.
My 2013 Leaf has recently developed an odd steering twitch. Both ways.
It's like hitting a small patch of ice. While driving in a straight line, at a constant speed, it'll just twitch to the right or left.
It's just passed its MOT. Does anybody have any ideas?

How many miles ? Do you live in the salt belt ? First thing I would do is grease up all the steering mechanics and shaft. Then secondly Jack up the front end and turn steering L to R with car in the off position, then try in ready mode , trying to see if it's mechanical or electric steering motor.

Thinking about the steering shaft , is there any u joints in the shaft ? If so grease them up liberally.

It sounds like you have some wear in either one or more suspension/ steering ball joint, or in one or both front wishbones that have 2 rubber bushes each.

You need to get the car up on axle stands at the front, then check each joint/ bush by push/ pulling the tyre or getting a steel lever in to lever the joint & checking for any movement.

If the steering is very sensitive, it might be the front wheel tracking is out.
Do either or both front tyres show excessive wear on the inside or outside edges?

Back