2013 Nissan Leaf incompatible with Grizzl-e

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like others have posted here, my 2013 Nissan Leaf S (40kw battery pack from a ~2019) will not charge on my Grizzl-e charger. it worked once (after lots of weird beeping and errors) and continues to charge via the Nissan 110V charger. no errors from car. Grizzl-E get stuck in charging mode after the car fails to charge (starts normally with beeps and blue LEDs flashing) after ~3 seconds (blue LEDs off). i can reset the charger back to "ready state" but car not charging regardless.

i've seen posts about the Diode, but that doesn't seem to be my problem. i'm taking the car to Nissan for some maintenance stuff and will ask about software updates. if the charger still wont work, I'm going to take it down, return it, and buy something else.

here's what i need:
exterior mounted to my brick house
exposed to sun/rain/snow/ice but we're in the mountains of Virginia, it doesn't actually get that cold here.
~25ft charging cord to reach car from house
32A level 2 charging

thats it, i dont need any smart functionality, i already set the car to stop charging at 80%.

what should buy?

I may merge the two topics on this into one, later.

I'd recommend Clipper Creek, and they quite probably are a good choice, but years ago I had a similar thing happen with a CC L-1 unit that had been modified for a test fleet, and then modified back. Clipper Creek fixed it for me for free including free shipping, but I had to mention it - it's just that it was a similar issue.

just to be thorough, i checked:
the charging timer, its off
tested at a local/public level2 charger i've used before and it worked fine. Leviton EVR40-B25

deathplaybanjo said:
Like others have posted here, my 2013 Nissan Leaf S (40kw battery pack from a ~2019) will not charge on my Grizzl-e charger. it worked once (after lots of weird beeping and errors) and continues to charge via the Nissan 110V charger. no errors from car. Grizzl-E get stuck in charging mode after the car fails to charge (starts normally with beeps and blue LEDs flashing) after ~3 seconds (blue LEDs off). i can reset the charger back to "ready state" but car not charging regardless.

i've seen posts about the Diode, but that doesn't seem to be my problem. i'm taking the car to Nissan for some maintenance stuff and will ask about software updates. if the charger still wont work, I'm going to take it down, return it, and buy something else.

here's what i need:
exterior mounted to my brick house
exposed to sun/rain/snow/ice but we're in the mountains of Virginia, it doesn't actually get that cold here.
~25ft charging cord to reach car from house
32A level 2 charging

thats it, i dont need any smart functionality, i already set the car to stop charging at 80%.

what should buy?

Less expensive than an equivalent Clipper Creek, I suggest a you Future proof with a Tesla Wall Charger with the J1772 end. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tesla-wall-connector-j1772-hardwired-electric-vehicle-ev-charger-up-to-48a-24-black/6527755.p?skuId=6527755

It has to be hard wired but can be programed and wired from 60A, 50A, 40A, 30A, 20A, or 15A breaker. Includes integrated GFCI protection. 4 year warranty
Variable amperage

Allows max output to be customized to an existing power supply and supports any output up to 48A. Possible max output configurations include: 48A, 40A, 32A, 24A, 16A, 12A.

Indoor or Outdoor Use
Minimum Operating Temperature -22 degrees Fahrenheit
Maximum Operating Temperature 122 degrees Fahrenheit
NEMA Enclosure Rating Type 3R

Back