2013 Nissan Leaf Owner's Manual now available!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeD

The following 2013 LEAF documents are available at http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/whatsnew.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to browse and/or download as PDFs:

Owner's Manual
Navigation System Owner's Guide
First Responder's Guide
Dismantling Guide
Roadside Assistance Guide

The following is available (I think, though I have not tried) as a 1-day $19.99 viewing subscription or as a $210.00 CD:
Service Manual

I am still browsing the Owner's Manual, and comparing it to the 2011 version. So far I would say that there is more information (402 pages vs 342 pages in the original 2011 Leaf Owner's Manual), so I might try to get a paper copy of it to add to my glove compartment.

Edit: I notice they are also available via the http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website by clicking the Manuals & Guides link :
https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This also gives links to these three 2013 Leaf documents:

Quick Reference Guide
Warranty Information Booklet
Service and Maintenance Guide

A couple neat tidbits:

You can set the climate timer temperature to something other than 75F.

The "3.3kW" OBC is rated for up to 18A / 4.8kVA from the wall.
The "6.6kW" OBC is rated for up to 32A / 7.7kVA from the wall.

I wonder if this means that the 2013 LEAF might charge slightly faster than older LEAFs even without the 6.6kW OBC?

Page 2-29 of the Owners Manual shows how to display % SOC. It is right after the Energy Economy screen that I usually have displayed for my Leaf. Perhaps it will be available to 2011-2012 Leaf owners with a software update. Looks like it would be easy to implement the change for the older models.

I don't recall reading before that the Leaf's Panasonic L1 trickle EVSE monitored its (Nema 5-15P) plug for excessive temperature, but apparently at least the newest model does. According to the 2013 Leaf Owner's Manual (p. CH-37) the trickle EVSE that comes with that Leaf identifies the following condition flagged by flashing its "READY" and "FAULT" lights: "When the temperature of the electrical plug is too hot, or the EVSE is unable to detect the temperature of the electrical plug, check that the electrical plug is connected correctly. If it is connected normally, stop use immediately and contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer.". I understand this to identify a condition either where the connection is loose or otherwise high resistance (resulting in high heat) or the internal EVSE plug temperature detecting device/circuit has failed.

I did not see anything in this manual about monitoring either the Quick Charge (CHAdeMO) or the Normal/Trickle (J1772) inlet port for excessive temperature (probably a more appropriate topic for the 2013 Leaf Service Manual), but if Nissan is paying attention to a 120v 12a charging connection now surely they are likely also paying attention to both inlet port's connections in this regard.

On p. 3-18 was something new that I had not seen in either the 2011 or 2012 Owner's Manuals:

SECONDARY REAR HATCH
RELEASE
The secondary rear hatch release mechanism
allows the rear hatch to be opened in the event of
a discharged battery, etc.
Push the lever up to open the rear hatch with a
suitable tool.
If you had to open the rear hatch using this
lever, have the vehicle checked by a
NISSAN dealer as soon as possible.

I suppose this could be useful in an emergency condition...

Also I saw this (p. 3-21):
CARD HOLDER (DRIVER’S SIDE
ONLY)
To access the card holder, pull the sun visor
down and slide card in the card holder. Do not
view information while operating the vehicle.

Not sure what kind of card(s) this would be most useful for...

MikeD said:
To access the card holder, pull the sun visor
down and slide card in the card holder. Do not
view information while operating the vehicle.

Not sure what kind of card(s) this would be most useful for...

Perhaps its referring to the sun visor extension card?

RricBayArea: You wrote: "Perhaps it's referring to the sun visor extension card?".
That occurred to me as well since the "card holder" is referred to on the same page as the sun visor, but the illustration shown along with it doesn't match that of the sun visor extension illustration to its left.

I thought maybe it has become common some places that have toll roads to use a card to get through quickly -- but not exactly a general credit card. Or maybe it's for holding charging station user-id cards like those by Blinks and others, although the glove box is convenient enough for those.

Stoaty said:
Page 2-29 of the Owners Manual shows how to display % SOC. It is right after the Energy Economy screen that I usually have displayed for my Leaf. Perhaps it will be available to 2011-2012 Leaf owners with a software update. Looks like it would be easy to implement the change for the older models.

brought up at Yokohama and apparently not an option.

I think someone has already noticed this, but the 2013 Leaf no longer has a 5W WY5W "Side turn signal light" to reduce airflow and slightly clutter side appearance.

Also there is now a "Headlight (Type B)" 60/55W H13 -- a high/low beam halogen bulb (~$60 at Advance Auto Parts) which must be for the S trim line (no LED option) or SV w/o LED headlights and it appears from this manual to be owner replaceable.

To bad they still are quoting 100 mile range for the 2013.

pg 42. "Vehicle range depends on a number of factors. When the Li-ion battery is new, the estimated vehicle range with a fully charged Li-ion battery is approximately 100 miles (160 km) based on the EPA laboratory test commonly called the LA4 mode drive cycle. This test represents city driving conditions."

Also the annoying "feature" is still present.

9-16 "the operator of the vehicle must also touch [OK] on the Navi screen to indicate assent each time he or she starts the car."

bradbissell said:
To bad they still are quoting 100 mile range for the 2013.

pg 42. "Vehicle range depends on a number of factors. When the Li-ion battery is new, the estimated vehicle range with a fully charged Li-ion battery is approximately 100 miles (160 km) based on the EPA laboratory test commonly called the LA4 mode drive cycle. This test represents city driving conditions."

9-16 "the operator of the vehicle must also touch [OK] on the Navi screen to indicate assent each time he or she starts the car."

i agree although they clarify their statement, people will generally miss that.

during our trip, it was recommended that we post Nissan's very own estimated driving range chart right next to the required EPA sticker. hoping that suggestion takes.

bradbissell said:

Assent? I would think consent myself. ;)

In legal English, consent and assent are often used interchangeably. There is a subtle difference though. The term assent connotes a positive and voluntary agreement both as a noun and a verb. The term consent is neutral in connotation and can apply even when the agreement is given reluctantly.

Michael; in that sense it would definitely be "consent" because there is nothing positive about having to do it over and over and over...

bradbissell said:

Not on my 2013 it's not.. It doesn't prompt me. I just get a screen that comes up and says that it will be sending data, etc, etc... and then goes away. No prompts or acknowledgements required.. and I'm a stock 13 SV with the premium pkg.

MikeD said:
I don't recall reading before that the Leaf's Panasonic L1 trickle EVSE monitored its (Nema 5-15P) plug for excessive temperature, but apparently at least the newest model does. According to the 2013 Leaf Owner's Manual (p. CH-37) the trickle EVSE that comes with that Leaf identifies the following condition flagged by flashing its "READY" and "FAULT" lights: "When the temperature of the electrical plug is too hot, or the EVSE is unable to detect the temperature of the electrical plug, check that the electrical plug is connected correctly. If it is connected normally, stop use immediately and contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer.". I understand this to identify a condition either where the connection is loose or otherwise high resistance (resulting in high heat) or the internal EVSE plug temperature detecting device/circuit has failed.
Has anyone confirmed whether the '13 Leaf's L1 EVSE actually does this detection? I see the mention of that in the manual on the above page but the sheet (in multiple languages) that came in the L1 EVSE bag doesn't describe that state in the "3. Control BOX LED status indication and fault handling methods." nor anything about plug temperature in the table.

I've only charged for a few hours at L1 last night (was enough to take me to 100%) and found the outlet in the garage only gets a little warm. The prongs don't feel that hot either. I've much hotter plugs and cords from running space heaters inside the house for ~1 hour (or possibly a few hours).

Back