2013 Nissan Versa

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epete

Whats a Nissan Versa topic doing here? Well, my past vehicles have been Toyota. Over 15 years ago I was buying Honda.

This weekend, I rented a car. It was a Nissan Versa. It did not have the usual sturdy feel that the Toyota's have. The driver's seat was very uncomfortable. I had to remove the headrest as it extended out too far. There was very little power to the vehicle.

I assume the Versa is one of the lower tier cars that Nissan makes.

I am hoping the Leaf does not have the problems I outlined above.

I am just looking for feedback from anyone who has driven both the Versa and Leaf and has comments about this.

And, yes, I could go to a dealer and take a test drive, but would rather start here first.

Haven't driven a Versa.

Leaf has a sturdy feel for me
I'm very comfortable in the drivers seat
The headrest does extend out further than I'm used to, but I got used to it and even like it now
There's a lot of power to the vehicle (EVs usually have this)

I don't think there's much comparing a Versa to a LEAF. Power is not an issue in the LEAF, it feels very quick off the line, but it's not so snappy on the highway- though it does have sufficient power to pass on the highway. The seats you'll probably find are similar to Versa's (total lack of lumbar support and the headrest leans forward too far, just like the Versa). But I think you'll be more impressed with quality and fit of the LEAF (it's not a premium car by any means, but I think Nissan did a good job on it).

Did you rent the sedan or the hatchback?

The Versa sedan is America's cheapest new car at around $12k...and pretty much looks like it. However if that's all you can afford, it's not all that bad if you don't set your expectations high.

The new hatchback version is called the Versa Note (just "Note" elsewhere in the world) and shares nothing with the Versa sedan besides the Versa name, 1.6L engine, and CVT. It's a bit more expensive, but I understand it's a bit nicer on the inside. Our current Versa sedan is called the Latio in other markets.

I haven't driven a 2013 Versa, but I did ride in the back seat while my youngest (adult) son drove a 13 Versa sedan on a test drive. Back seat wasn't uncomfortable relative to a $16k car, but the car itself was a no sale based on the test drive alone. He didn't like the driver's seat at all, and everything on the car felt like touching it would break it( his words, not mine). It did have good acceleration and ride wasn't rattly in my opinion, but he walked away disappointed. Does it feel like a Leaf? I test drove the 11 back in the day, and walked away from it for almost exactly the reasons mentioned above, even going so far as to tell the salesman that it felt too plasticky in every way for a $35k car. I mentioned that for the price, I should expect leather and high end audio, not recycled grocery sacks for body panels and seat covers. When the 13's came out with what I requested, I went in and drove one. Then drove it home. 94.6 miles just to be sure it would do as advertised. I have had my Leaf for almost 5 months and 9000 miles with just one minor peeve about rear bumper fitment.
From my perspective, the car is worth what it sells for now, but I see the price dropping on the 14s to compete with ICE's as gas drops.
Note on the Leaf, my son doesn't like it terribly well compared to the Prius, but only on drivetrain performance. He can hypermile the Prius into high 50s, but pulled a lousy 3.7 m/kwh in the Leaf when he borrowed it for ~75miles. He's happy with the seats and styling.
Postscript edit:
The Leaf is closer to the Sentra in platform than the Versa.

The headrest is carried over into the Leaf, unfortunately. The best I can say for it is it makes it harder to fall asleep if the road is uneven, as it batters the back of your head continually.

LeftieBiker said:
The headrest is carried over into the Leaf, unfortunately. The best I can say for it is it makes it harder to fall asleep if the road is uneven, as it batters the back of your head continually.

That is a concession to the safety gurus. Having a headrest much closer to the back of your head is an inexpensive way of reducing whiplash injury in a rear end collision. More expensive systems like Volvo's use a pivoting mechanism that tilts the restraint forward as your body is forced backward into the seat.

I would think the Sentra is a closer compare to the LEAF than the Versa. The Versa is purely a low cost vehicle and has not been reviewed positively.

In comparison the LEAF is relatively upscale, very solid, well built etc.

joewaters said:
He can hypermile the Prius into high 50s, but pulled a lousy 3.7 m/kwh in the Leaf when he borrowed it for ~75miles.
Hmm. Maybe "pulse and glide" doesn't work so well for EV's :D The glide part would, but not the accelerating.

RonDawg said:
LeftieBiker said:

That is a concession to the safety gurus. Having a headrest much closer to the back of your head is an inexpensive way of reducing whiplash injury in a rear end collision. More expensive systems like Volvo's use a pivoting mechanism that tilts the restraint forward as your body is forced backward into the seat.

We also have a Prius, and that car's headrest, while just as safe as the Leaf's, isn't uncomfortable. Believe it or not, Nissan makes mistakes. ;-)

I had occasion to drive a 2013 Versa... What a truly forgettable piece of econocrap... You'd be much better off buying a three year old something else for the same money than a new one of these!

joewaters said:
Note on the Leaf, my son doesn't like it terribly well compared to the Prius, but only on drivetrain performance. He can hypermile the Prius into high 50s, but pulled a lousy 3.7 m/kwh in the Leaf when he borrowed it for ~75miles. He's happy with the seats and styling.
Postscript edit:
The Leaf is closer to the Sentra in platform than the Versa.

I would agree that the leaf needs better aero and weight but I really don't understand the high 50's comparison. (which isn't that great for a prius in warm weather)

I can hypermile my Cobalt into the high 50's and my 01 insight has touched a tad over 103mpg when its warm out, not really sure what any of that means in the context of a leaf which to hypermile would be accelerate slow, disable any electronic things (lights, screens etc) and coast to every stop keeping your top speed below 35mph the whole while.

LeftieBiker said:

Thanks everyone. This is the item that bothered me most about the Versa. This is unfortunate that it carries over to the Leaf. :cry: I really thought that someone had put the headrest on backwards as I couldn't believe anyone would design a seat that way.

Anyway, I was able to get used to the vehicle with the headrest totally removed. I guess if I am lucky, the two poles that connect to the seat are some industry standard so I can just buy a new headrest.

http://www.autovillage.co.uk/car-parts/nissan/leaf/part/headrest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bet this one labeled Cheap Nissan Leaf Car Headrest may be more comfortable. Maybe there are other versions out there to choose from.

epete said:
LeftieBiker said:

Thanks everyone. This is the item that bothered me most about the Versa. This is unfortunate that it carries over to the Leaf. :cry: I really thought that someone had put the headrest on backwards as I couldn't believe anyone would design a seat that way.

Anyway, I was able to get used to the vehicle with the headrest totally removed. I guess if I am lucky, the two poles that connect to the seat are some industry standard so I can just buy a new headrest.

http://www.autovillage.co.uk/car-parts/nissan/leaf/part/headrest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bet this one labeled Cheap Nissan Leaf Car Headrest may be more comfortable. Maybe there are other versions out there to choose from.

I actually took mine off and tried reversing it. No dice. I'm thinking that all we really need is for someone to offer knit, padded headrest covers, in the two interior colors plus maybe some of the exterior colors. I'd buy a pair.

I have been noticing how I sit in my Prius and see that I rarely put my head back on the headrest. The seat is very comfortable while just sitting up as well as when I lean back on the headrest.

I am wondering if there is something about the Nissan seat that made my natural sitting position always have my head on the headrest. I looked in the windows of several Nissan's today in the parking lot. Not sure if it was the same style seat, but at a glance it doesn't look like there would be a problem.

epete said:
I have been noticing how I sit in my Prius and see that I rarely put my head back on the headrest. The seat is very comfortable while just sitting up as well as when I lean back on the headrest.

I am wondering if there is something about the Nissan seat that made my natural sitting position always have my head on the headrest. I looked in the windows of several Nissan's today in the parking lot. Not sure if it was the same style seat, but at a glance it doesn't look like there would be a problem.

I don't know... I now find myself sitting upright too, but it's because I don't like being punched in the head. ;-)

Back