2013 S (10 days old) won't charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope the new PCM was updated with part's so other people won't have the same
problem.My car is till working with out any ER light's So far.

I'm sure my problem is not the same as the other owners on this thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for something so minor.
My 2013 Leaf SL has a problem with L2 charging at any EVSE except the Aero units at the Nissan dealerships.
Not a drastic problem, and I have developed a workaround.
When I plug in L2, most recently at an Eaton branded EVSE, but also at others, forgetting the names, I get a fault immediately from the evse.
I tried unplugging, reset the EVSE, and plugging in again, to no avail.
However, when I plug in, power on the car, then power down again, and reset the EVSE, I can get it to charge just fine.
Is this common on older L2 EVSE with the newer protocol on the car, or do I need to take the car in?
All the EVSE stations around me, except the Nissan dealerships, are more than a couple years old but with [almost] no use.
L1 charging with the Panasonic unit at home works without a glitch.
Again, I apologize for hijacking this thread.

joewaters said:
I'm sure my problem is not the same as the other owners on this thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for something so minor.
My 2013 Leaf SL has a problem with L2 charging at any EVSE except the Aero units at the Nissan dealerships.
When I plug in L2, most recently at an Eaton branded EVSE, but also at others, forgetting the names, I get a fault immediately from the evse.
However, when I plug in, power on the car, then power down again, and reset the EVSE, I can get it to charge just fine.
Is this common on older L2 EVSE with the newer protocol on the car, or do I need to take the car in?
All the EVSE stations around me, except the Nissan dealerships, are more than a couple years old but with [almost] no use.
I have a 2013 SV and have not had a problem charging anywhere. I have used the L1 Panasonic, my L2 Siemens, several public Eaton, several Chargepoint stations, a Blink, some unbranded, and Aero @ the Nissan dealership. All were fairly new. Not sure what to suggest. Could be old charge stations with incompatible protocol or an issue with the car only showing up on some charge stations.

Check out this thread, around middle of July a software update fixes the problem

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dm33 said:
joewaters said:
I have a 2013 SV and have not had a problem charging anywhere. I have used the L1 Panasonic, my L2 Siemens, several public Eaton, several Chargepoint stations, a Blink, some unbranded, and Aero @ the Nissan dealership. All were fairly new. Not sure what to suggest. Could be old charge stations with incompatible protocol or an issue with the car only showing up on some charge stations.

Thanks for the link, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13194 I read all 19 pages but my condition is completely different in that I have no problem getting to a full charge once I convince the EVSE and Leaf to play nice together. I am assuming now that I do need to present this to Nissan, as it may be a diode/connector problem.

Update to my condition. I made my way through the charging stations around my neck of the woods. I have discovered that of all the stations around me are either not existent, not in service, or Eaton units. The Schneider evse is owned by city hall, bought to make the appearance of caring about the environment by a prior administration, then abandoned when the next one took office. A GE Wattstation is listed at a nearby Electric supply company, but a search of the premises (only the area available to the public, not inside the gated area in back) leads me to believe that there never was and probably never will be any public service.
So, in my world, it's two locations of Eaton or nothing for public charging, so no way for me to eliminate the variable most likely causing my condition. It's not serious enough for a trip to the service department of and by itself, as I normally only charge at home, but does concern me that I might have a ticking time bomb of strandedness under the hood.
An aside to this, I've noticed that charging times at home are getting longer, in that the projected time to charge originally reflected true times closely, and now miss the mark by generally 2 hours. I plug in with 12 to 12 1/2 hours expected, and regularly exceed 15 hours to actually finish. Again not tragic, as the charge time to high level is good, just the last few miles are the slow push. I'm still on the Nissan/Panasonic portable until September when I get a big boy juice pump, does this factor in?

Back