2013 SL heater not working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6yearstilbreakeven

car has about 7k miles on it. Got it last feb, noticed the heat and heated seats weren't working...took it to Nissan who stated that everything was working as it should. The weather got warmer, and I didn't use the heat, but pretty sure the heat and heated seats have not been working since day 1.

Today it was 22degrees when I drove the kids to school. The heat was very, very clearly blowing cold air. Triple checked my settings, powered the car off and back on, but still blowing cold air.

Nissan has the car now (luckily, after asking nicely, I got an altima loaner).

I understand and have read this is a common problem. They had no idea on an eta of when I could get the car back. I've read several other posts saying it took nissan weeks to get them their cars back...will keep everyone posted. this is my second trip to the dealer for this problem....if i go back a third time I'm going to be pretty "hot" about it. Would it be outside the realm of fairness to ask nissan to re-imburse me for the gas I spend while they have the leaf?

oh boy...where to begin.

Team Nissan of Marietta called me today to say the car had been fixed! Yeah! When I got the car, the service rep handed me a brochure that showed me how my heater worked. 1) I had had to turn the heater on and 2) I had to give the heater several minutes to warm up. Needless to say, I was shocked.

I had been driving the car for over an hour when the heat went out. When I pulled the car in to the dealer, I asked the valet to confirm that the heater was on, and the vents were blowing cold (which he did).

The rear seats (according to them) was some loose wires. I'd very much like to ask the service rep which wires were loose....I'm thinking maybe I've got some loose wires around the heater itself????

When I picked the car up, the heat was blowing hot...so hot, I had to shut it off. When I got home, I turned it back on, and it was luke warm after 20 minutes. I shut the car off, and re-started everything, and the heat was blowing hot again.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has had this kind of random problem. Would also love to hear from anyone who has had the heated seats go out. Thanks

I have a 2013 SL with a similar problem. Seems like the heat doesn't blow very hot and if I slow the fan down to 2 or 3 bars and recirculate the air, then it is warm, but the windows fog up. Lately I noticed on a trip home the heat quit about the same time the low battery warning came on, so I though maybe this was designed this way. Tonight, the temp was 2 degrees and about 10 mikes into my 60 mile trip, the heat quit. I verified this with the climate power usage meter that read 0. The dash said heat, fan was on, temp on 78, but was blowing cold <5 degree air. Any others with this problem that have it fixed? I am about 70 miles from the closest dealer and at these cold temperature, not sure I would make it there.

jjlionberger said:
I have a 2013 SL with a similar problem. Seems like the heat doesn't blow very hot and if I slow the fan down to 2 or 3 bars and recirculate the air, then it is warm, but the windows fog up. Lately I noticed on a trip home the heat quit about the same time the low battery warning came on, so I though maybe this was designed this way. Tonight, the temp was 2 degrees and about 10 mikes into my 60 mile trip, the heat quit. I verified this with the climate power usage meter that read 0. The dash said heat, fan was on, temp on 78, but was blowing cold <5 degree air. Any others with this problem that have it fixed? I am about 70 miles from the closest dealer and at these cold temperature, not sure I would make it there.

thanks for posting this. I suspect this is a known issue with Nissan. I know (from reading here) that the 2011 and 12's had heater issues, but read that the 2013s did not have the same failures. My heater problems are very random. Today is was in the 20's, and the heater (at one point) was blowing air that was 45degrees. I'm only about 20minutes from the dealer...sorry you are having issues, I will report back when I hear back from Nissan, and please let us know if your heater problems get worse.

thanks

I posted this in the "Problems/troubleshooting", but am posting here as well.

The winter climate here is typically 30-40F at this time of year.

When the car was new, I could see power consumption rise to about 3-4KW, then slowly drop as the car warmed.
Now it exhibits this behavior:
Power consumption varies between zero and .7kW. When at zero, I can turn off the car, back on again and it (sometimes) starts drawing power, maybe back to .75 kW.

Lately never above .5kW.

If I turn on the defroster, power drops to zero.

A friend's 2013 Leaf draws considerable power with the heater on, as much as 3.5KW.

Another oddity:
The vehicle is plugged into my L2 charger, with a charge of 80% and not charging.
I remotely turn on climate control.
I get the vehicle an hour later. The charge has increased to 98%, but little warmth is felt in the cabin.

I have an appointment Friday with the local dealer, we'll see.

Back