2013 SL with 20K miles being delivered to me by Carvana

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You also need to know the date that particular Leaf went into service. If it sat on the lot for a year, you have a much better chance of losing 4 bars.

Alright, looks like I'm getting a 2014 leaf tomorrow with all 12 bars. I'll post leaf spy data tomorrow and would appreciate any opinions. He's letting me have the car for a day before I decide to buy.

bigbearballs said:
I'm new here, also posted in the newbie forum.
MODERATORS NOTE: Please don't cross-post very similar content across multiple threads, especially when it's not on topic.

Flyct said:
bigbearballs said:
Alright, looks like I'm getting a 2014 leaf tomorrow with all 12 bars. I'll post leaf spy data tomorrow and would appreciate any opinions. He's letting me have the car for a day before I decide to buy.

What happened with the 2013 from Carvana? There are very few 2014s produced or available.

I'm still getting delivered. Since it's a 7 day return period, I don't have to worry about still getting it.

I got the 2014 leaf today. It has 12 bars and drives great. Do I need to bother using leaf spy since it has 12 bars? Is there anything that leaf spy could tell me about a 12 bar battery that would be concerning? I love the beeps when it backs up, hahah.

bigbearballs said:
I got the 2014 leaf today. It has 12 bars and drives great. Do I need to bother using leaf spy since it has 12 bars? Is there anything that leaf spy could tell me about a 12 bar battery that would be concerning? I love the beeps when it backs up, hahah.
It will tell you how close it is to becoming an 11 bar battery. You decide how important that is to you.

GRA said:
bigbearballs said:
It will tell you how close it is to becoming an 11 bar battery. You decide how important that is to you.

I don't think it's important enough to not get the car. I feel I'm a conscious enough driver to keep the battery healthy.

Another question, I've been charging my car today and I went from 6.6kw down to .87kw. Is that due to the leaf turning down the charge or is it the EV station?

bigbearballs said:
GRA said:
bigbearballs said:

I don't think it's important enough to not get the car. I feel I'm a conscious enough driver to keep the battery healthy.

Another question, I've been charging my car today and I went from 6.6kw down to .87kw. Is that due to the leaf turning down the charge or is it the EV station?

Nothing about your consciousness will affect the battery health. You live in Texas, Texas is hot, hot equals battery damage.

Nothing you can do about that.

dhanson865 said:
bigbearballs said:
GRA said:

Nothing about your consciousness will affect the battery health. You live in Texas, Texas is hot, hot equals battery damage.

Nothing you can do about that.

It sure is hot, too darn hot. Looks like I got up to 85 miles on a full charge, that's good range right? And I shouldn't be charging the car to 100%, that will damage the battery?

Also, what does turtle mean? I know it's the last part of the battery, but couldn't find anything more specific. I clicked the wiki but the link didn't work.

bigbearballs said:
It sure is hot, too darn hot. Looks like I got up to 85 miles on a full charge, that's good range right? And I shouldn't be charging the car to 100%, that will damage the battery?

Also, what does turtle mean? I know it's the last part of the battery, but couldn't find anything more specific. I clicked the wiki but the link didn't work.

Turtle mode happens when you only have a mile or two left on the charge. The car normally can do 80KW to the motor, in turtle mode that is limited to 30KW. That will lower your max speed from 93mph to something closer to 30mph.

I've been driving my car for a year now and even when I drove 85 miles on a charge I never saw turtle mode.

Before turtle you will see Very Low Battery Warning (VLBW). When you hit VLBW the miles remaining changes to --- and you still have full power but you only have about 4 to 9 miles remaining depending on all the variables (speed, temp, tires, weather, etc).

Once you hit VLBW the only way you'll know how much range you have is if you have a 2013 or newer and can watch the SOC% on the dash. (Older cars don't have that and have to use leafspy to see SOC%).

The SOC% at time of triggering LBW, VLBW, and Turtle mode will vary based on the capacity of the battery. If you want to be sure, test it by driving around the block near a location you can charge and drive it until you get the turtle, write down the SOC% each time you get a warning and when you hit turtle mode then charge the car back up.

Or take a look at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293 for charts of speed vs range and keep that in mind.

Firetruck41 said:
Did you actually drive 85 miles? Because if you are talking about the GOM (guess o meter), "85" doesn't mean much.

It's the guess o meter. It was 85 when I left work, got to 70 when I got home which is pretty close to the actual mileage to my home.

dhanson865 said:
bigbearballs said:

Turtle mode happens when you only have a mile or two left on the charge. The car normally can do 80KW to the motor, in turtle mode that is limited to 30KW. That will lower your max speed from 93mph to something closer to 30mph.

I've been driving my car for a year now and even when I drove 85 miles on a charge I never saw turtle mode.

Before turtle you will see Very Low Battery Warning (VLBW). When you hit VLBW the miles remaining changes to --- and you still have full power but you only have about 4 to 9 miles remaining depending on all the variables (speed, temp, tires, weather, etc).

Once you hit VLBW the only way you'll know how much range you have is if you have a 2013 or newer and can watch the SOC% on the dash. (Older cars don't have that and have to use leafspy to see SOC%).

The SOC% at time of triggering LBW, VLBW, and Turtle mode will vary based on the capacity of the battery. If you want to be sure, test it by driving around the block near a location you can charge and drive it until you get the turtle, write down the SOC% each time you get a warning and when you hit turtle mode then charge the car back up.

Or take a look at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293 for charts of speed vs range and keep that in mind.

Awesome information, thank you! I do have a 2014 so I do have the SOC%. I need to get leafspy asap.

dhanson865 said:

The SOC% at time of triggering LBW, VLBW, and Turtle mode will vary based on the capacity of the battery. If you want to be sure, test it by driving around the block near a location you can charge and drive it until you get the turtle, write down the SOC% each time you get a warning and when you hit turtle mode then charge the car back up.....
Actually at some point before turtle mode the SOC % goes to --- at least on my '13 Leaf. First you get --- in the GOM(I think around 6% left on the SOC%) and shortly after that --- in the SOC display. I really dislike that they blank out the SOC, I believe it's some where around 3% left, I've never experienced turtle, it's bad enough seeing nothing but ---'s in all of my displays :shock:

jjeff said:
dhanson865 said:

The SOC% at time of triggering LBW, VLBW, and Turtle mode will vary based on the capacity of the battery. If you want to be sure, test it by driving around the block near a location you can charge and drive it until you get the turtle, write down the SOC% each time you get a warning and when you hit turtle mode then charge the car back up.....
Actually at some point before turtle mode the SOC % goes to --- at least on my '13 Leaf. First you get --- in the GOM(I think around 6% left on the SOC%) and shortly after that --- in the SOC display. I really dislike that they blank out the SOC, I believe it's some where around 3% left, I've never experienced turtle, it's bad enough seeing nothing but ---'s in all of my displays :shock:

the --- on the disply is Very Low Battery Warning that I referred to as VLBW above. You'll also see in a prior paragraph I referenced this.

Maybe you were confused because I mentioned Turtle prior to that in the post, but I did say that VLBW comes before Turtle.

dhanson865 said:
jjeff said:
dhanson865 said:

the --- on the disply is Very Low Battery Warning that I referred to as VLBW above. You'll also see in a prior paragraph I referenced this.

Maybe you were confused because I mentioned Turtle prior to that in the post, but I did say that VLBW comes before Turtle.
What confused me is you said "Once you hit VLBW the only way you'll know how much range you have is if you have a 2013 or newer and can watch the SOC% on the dash." but again on my '13S the SOC% goes to --- so how could I watch the SOC% on the dash until it went into turtle :? wonder if your talking about LeafSpy being able to display SOC% all the way to turtle? I only recently got LeafSpy and haven't experienced the --- in SOC% yet to be able to test this.

jjeff said:
What confused me is you said "Once you hit VLBW the only way you'll know how much range you have is if you have a 2013 or newer and can watch the SOC% on the dash." but again on my '13S the SOC% goes to --- so how could I watch the SOC% on the dash until it went into turtle :? wonder if your talking about LeafSpy being able to display SOC% all the way to turtle? I only recently got LeafSpy and haven't experienced the --- in SOC% yet to be able to test this.

ah, I didn't realize that the dash SOC% goes to --- as well as the GOM miles going to ---.

if so then you are in the same boat as the 2011/2012 users and need leafspy to see SOC% below VLBW.

I have a 2012 SL and don't get dash SOC% so I just have to imagine what it's like to have it. :)

I can assure you that I've driven my 2012 down to less than 2 miles charge remaining (at 10 mph speeds) but at that time I didn't know how to take a screenshot on my phone so I just have to assume that was around 8% SOC on leafspy. It's been almost a year since I did that.

Maybe some day I'll drive a 2013 or newer with leafspy around so I can compare SOC% mapping as I believe that the top and bottom of the scale are different (leafspy showing internal pack SOC% unscaled/raw and dash showing scaled percent to hid the top and bottom of the pack)

as to that trip it was after http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18427 and from another thread I posted

I bought mine in Hickory, NC, drove to Knoxville, TN. Including the diversions off I-40 to charge it was over 225 miles.

https://evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5/?id=cym3 is roughly what I did (I messed up at one point and used Google maps walking directions instead of car directions and took a slightly different route from black mountain to asheville to waynesville)

the zigzag through asheville was me going to a chademo charge point that I couldn't use, then falling back to another that was further out of the way.

the waynesville detour was to hit another chademo because there wasn't a single DC charger between there and home so I wanted every last drop of range I could get before I had to go through the wastelands of 10 mph L2 charge points.

fwiw I hit VLBW twice on my trip home, with 3 miles range on the GOM in Black Mountain, NC and with --- on the GOM when I pulled into the driveway at home (in fact I drove on --- for several miles).

on the day of that trip I was using leafspy lite, not the full version so I didn't have the better screens to see miles remaining but I've since used leafspy numerious times below VLBW, just not as far down as I went that night.

Back