2014 Leaf S random sudden shut-off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzipEVoli

Hi there,

A few members on this forum have reported issues with their Nissan Leaf vehicle suddenly shutting off while driving. My 2014 Leaf S has issues similar to what other members have described on this forum. Yet, I do not claim that the vehicles share the same root cause.

The problem:
At approx. 50K miles, in 2020, my 2014 LEAF S started to have episodes of random sudden shut-off and EV System Warning message displayed typically when driving at approx. 67 miles per hour. I discovered that rebooting the vehicle seemed to reset everything for a while. The problem persisted and even got worse over a period of 3 years, to the point where the vehicle was no longer safe and reliable even for in-town driving.

Temporary remedy:
Year one: based on OBDII codes and suggestions on this forum, I went head and replaced the 12v battery, connected a low voltage trickle charger every night to maintain it, and monitored the low voltage circuit with a plug-in voltmeter. This only help with some of my anxiety, not the root cause. I took the vehicle to a local dealership to no avail. They were not successful at replicating the problem.

Over a period of 3 years:
The problem got worse over time, to the point where last July 2023, I had several instances where the car suddenly completely shut off, buzzed continuously, and displayed no error message whatsoever. Complete blackout. I already no longer drove the car on highways, only in town.

This last August 2023, I took the car to a local dealership for diagnosis. After 2 months, they told me that they could not figure out what's wrong with the car. They were only able to confirm the symptom and collect some codes. They told me that they would need to contact a Nissan regional engineer for a more advanced diagnosis.

According to the dealership, the Nissan regional engineer determined that the vehicle needed new IPDM, VCM, PDM, etc... (sorry, I don't have the exact list with me here) and that it would cost over $10,000 in parts only (no labor included)!

Now, here's the best: they say that Nissan no longer has those parts in stock and that they don't have any fabrication planned because of the low demand...

The vehicle is less than 10 years old and has 72,000 miles

As soon as I get the written diagnosis, I will post more details.

Back