2016 Leaf availability

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
TimLee said:
^^^ And the capacity warranty is still only repair to nine bars or more.
No guarantee of a like new battery.

wow, that horse's funeral was last year...

the 24 kwh horse has been beaten hard.

the 30 kwh horse is fresh and ready to be beaten still.

When we have Leafspy data for the 30 kwh battery we'll be able to start beating it. It'll take years before someone loses enough bars and provides enough data for us to call it beaten to death.

dhanson865 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
TimLee said:
^^^ And the capacity warranty is still only repair to nine bars or more.
No guarantee of a like new battery.

When we have Leafspy data for the 30 kwh battery we'll be able to start beating it. It'll take years before someone loses enough bars and provides enough data for us to call it beaten to death.

the "horse" I am referring to is the possibility of someone getting anything less than a new pack on a capacity warranty claim

DaveinOlyWA said:
dhanson865 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

the "horse" I am referring to is the possibility of someone getting anything less than a new pack on a capacity warranty claim

As capacity increases the feasibility of a refurb pack increases.

Tesla does refurb packs with 60 kwh. Will 30 kwh be enough to change things? I doubt it but I'm saying every time something else changes it's a new horse.

There will allays be fear, uncertainty, and doubt. This is even a reasonable version of it. Nissan has put the wording in the fine print to give them the option. We as consumers wonder what it would take for them to use that option.

You are very right to say Nissan has only given new packs to date. You are right to say we have no reason for that to change short term for 24 kwh pack owners. But I still think there is room to discuss what can change in the future.

funny how we spend so much energy speculating on something that is likely to never happen (ignoring the fact that "refurbished" despites its negative connotations, is generally better than new in most cases) while ignoring facts like Global Climate change, destruction of major Carbon sinks, and the erosion of our basic financial foundation

here's a pure hypothetical for ya. Say you had a 30 kwh pack that degraded to 8 bars and you needed more range from the degradation warranty.

Say 9 bars = a 72% or higher capacity replacement and you started with a 30 kwh pack. You go in and they give you a new 24 kwh pack as the replacement since that is 80% of your original capacity.

They could

A. Leave the car calibrated to 30 kWh max and show the lower number of bars
B. Recalibrate to 24 kwh max and show 12 bars but tell you they put in a 24 kwh pack as the replacement for your degraded 30 kwh

either way the "new" 24 kwh pack would be better than a heavily degraded 30 kwh pack.

Would that replacement pack bother you or would you be happy to know you got a better pack no matter what the capacity?

Can you see how the option is allowed by the current fine print?

Can you see how that might save Nissan money down the road?

Or do you see a flaw with this scenario?

OT. Pls don't post OT - people come to this thread to see if there are updates about '16 availability.

One good news:
Two new 2016 Leaf arrived at one dealer in Brossard, QC, Canada.

Less good news:
These are only S Leaf with the 24KWH battery.

The Nissan website now shows info on 2016 Leaf. The inventory still pulls up 2015 MY.

http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/?next=header.vehicles.postcard.vlp.image

This is very frustrating.

I live in Houston, Texas, and the increase in range is a big deal for me.

I currently live in an apartment and don't have a car. I plan to buy a Leaf once I sign a new teacher's contract (probably within a week or two). But my potential new employer is a good 25 miles away!

I won't be able to install a battery recharger until I move to a new place next year.

My Nissan dealership said in July that the 2016 models would be here in August or September.

Now it's the middle of November, and none of the Houston dealerships have the 2016 models in stock.

I would much rather buy than lease an older model, but I feel that I am being left with no choice. Or maybe I might go with a Chevy Volt.

How can you get an honest estimate about when these models will be arriving? I will probably pay to rent a car for a month or two while I'm waiting -- that's how much I'm willing to wait for a Nissan. But the cost of renting a car -- even for a long term rental -- is about 2-3 times what a monthly payment would be for a Nissan Leaf lease or a car note.

idiotprogrammer said:
... increase in range is a big deal for me... I currently live in an apartment and don't have a car. I plan to buy a Leaf once I sign a new teacher's contract (probably within a week or two). But my potential new employer is a good 25 miles away!

I won't be able to install a battery recharger until I move to a new place next year.
In general, buying or leasing an EV is not a good idea unless you can charge overnight where you live. Sometimes you can do ok charging during the day at work even if you can't charge overnight. But you need to be certain that charging at work is guaranteed to be available. In your case, you can't count on either one, so you should not buy or lease an EV. The 2016 increase in range doesn't change that.

The Volt seems a better choice for you, if you can usually charge at work. If not, the Prius PHEV, if you can still find one, is the best choice - it will get 60MPG with no charging at all, and closer to 100 when you can charge. The Volt will only get about 38MPG if not charged.

idiotprogrammer said:
This is very frustrating.

I live in Houston, Texas, and the increase in range is a big deal for me.

I currently live in an apartment and don't have a car. I plan to buy a Leaf once I sign a new teacher's contract (probably within a week or two). But my potential new employer is a good 25 miles away!

My Nissan dealership said in July that the 2016 models would be here in August or September.

Now it's the middle of November, and none of the Houston dealerships have the 2016 models in stock.

I would much rather buy than lease an older model, but I feel that I am being left with no choice. Or maybe I might go with a Chevy Volt.

How can you get an honest estimate about when these models will be arriving? I will probably pay to rent a car for a month or two while I'm waiting -- that's how much I'm willing to wait for a Nissan. But the cost of renting a car -- even for a long term rental -- is about 2-3 times what a monthly payment would be for a Nissan Leaf lease or a car note.
If the 2014/2015 model years are any indicator, we will not have any here in Houston until December.

It is mid-December. I still do not have a job although I am close to another one -- days away.

The 2016 model is nowhere to be seen in Houston dealerships. How depressing!

Back