2018 Leaf charger malfunction

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charging1954

Hi, I own a 2018 Leaf and have been happily charging at home with the Nissan-supplied level 2 charger for the past six years. Recently the charger started to randomly display a fault light - sometimes when not charging the vehicle, and once when it was charging, and charging stops.

Wondering if others have encountered this, and I'm also wondering if it's worth trying to get the unit repaired...or just move on, as the charger is six years old.

(I also use it to charge a Tesla Model Y using the Tesla-supplied adapter. )

Usually when there is an error in the EVSE unit, it will have a fault code that is set with the LEDs. Do you have any flashing or solid pattern that you could post?

Error codes might be readable via the OBDII port and Leaf Spy Pro. Should be easier to diagnose the fault if it's possible to see what codes the car is throwing up.

If you look in the owners manual it will tell you how to determine what is wrong by how the LEDs are acting. I was getting a plug temperature sensor fault with my OE charging cable. It would charge at half the current. Could not find anything online about how to repair it, so I just bought a new cable.

Since it is intermittent, then the likely suspects are broken or damaged wiring, or corroded connector terminals. Inspect inside the charge port and the EVSE plug for dirt and debris or insects down in the sockets.

Has the EVSE plug been dropped or run over, maybe sustained some shock damage?

Solid Red indicates an internal issue with the EVSE unit, very little troubleshooting guidance:
When detecting the internal circuit abnormalities, the charging circuit interrupting device should light the FAULT indicator (red lamp).

Blinking Red indicates issue with ground fault or pilot signal abnormal, possible causes:
  • The charging cable is failed.
  • Earth leakage of regular charging high voltage system circuits.
  • Short circuit to earth of pilot signal circuit.
  • The on board charger is failed.

I have 3 cheap Amazon level 2 chargers that have all faulted occasionally charging Leafs, some more than others, also 2 Nissan supplied level 2 chargers that have not faulted (knock on wood).

2018 Leaf SV 40 kW (sold)
2020 Leaf SV+ 62 kW
2021 Leaf SV+ 62 kW (sold)
2023 Ariya Platinum+ E4orce

Back