2018 Leaf S battery and tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

After five years and 17,500 miles of town car driving, I decided to replace what appears to be the perfectly good original 12V battery. While I was at it, I had the tires rotated. "LEFT REAR TIRE AT MIN SPEC AND HAS BAD INNER AND OUTER TIRE WEAR"
So I ordered Nokian Encompass AW01 tires from my local Discount Tire store. I chose improved winter driving over efficiency.

My understanding has always been inner and outer wear is due to under inflation. Alignment is usually one or the other., or cupping.

I am assuming the rotation at 17,500 is not the first time for rotation. My 2023 S model displayed a tire maintenance required at 5,000 miles. The front had 2/32 more wear than the rear, but all were even.

We drive it gently, so I was surprised by the front wear.

I think this is the tire that had a nail in the tread that the Nissan dealer couldn't find. Discount Tire workers fixed it for free. I didn't like the Ecopia tires anyway. This was the second rotation.

Discount Tires wasn't busy and these Nokian tires were installed in about 30 min. They are certainly more "comfortable" than the original tires.

The weather channel was a little off. Instead of 2" of snow we have about 6" of heavy, wet snow with more coming down. My wife drove across town, Boulder, this afternoon and had no trouble at all even coming up a fairly steep, unplowed incline into our housing complex.
I think I made a good choice of tires regardless of how long they may last.

The Leaf has a torque advantage in that you can really feather the accelerator for a slow, solid start without breaking traction. My neighborhood is stretched across several steep hills. When it snows, there is one steep section of hill where everyone just parks at the bottom, but I'm always the only one to drive up it with success other than the neighbor with the 4WD jeep. ;)

I use all season tires too, but my secret is to just deflate the front tires to about 30 psi and it can crawl up just about anything snow or ice with ease with steady power. Kills the range, but it's only while the snow is around, so it's worth it for a safer drive with superior traction.

When everyone else is trying to drive up that steep section you can always here the engine rev when the wheels slip on whatever vehicle someone is driving before they give up and just back down in defeat. The bottom of hill is basically a parking lot of trucks, cars, and SUVs because everyone just tries to tear up the hill at full power and hope they have enough speed to reach the top, but it never works for some reason. :unsure: 🤣

Back