236 mile round trip completed 8/11/13!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMYK4Life

Update:
The weather at the beach was not the best but my son and I still took a dip. No one ICE'd us the entire time, no wating at the EVSE, we didnt see another EV or plug-in the entire trip! We followed my plan outlined below - worked like a charm.

The small town we visited, Lowell MI, will make a great lunch/dinner charge stop for other cities we want to visit on the west side of the state. I had 3-4 locals ask me about the car; your typical questions, they were floored that I was getting my juice for free.

Orginal Plan:
I cannot wait to take the Leaf to the shores of Lake Michigan this weekend! All using only L2 charging; god bless the 6.6kw charger!

We live 118 miles away from a Lake Michigan beach in Muskegon MI that has a L2 chargepoint station.

We will stop in a small town about half way there to have brunch and do some window shopping while we pick up some juice; the small town has a cluster of L2 chargers right in the middle of the shopping/entertainment district.

Since there is a charger at the beach we will charge back to 100% as we visit (plan B is 1 mile up the road)

We will visit the same small town for charging and dinner on the way back from the beach that night.

The route we are taking avoids all highways; so between the slower speed and the need to charge it will take us a lot of time to get to our destination and back. However, for us, our long distance journies in the Leaf avoiding highways and cutting through small towns and villages is almost been as fun as the destination. We love stopping at the roadside produce stands too!

Its going to be a great EV trip!

CMYK4Life said:
I cannot wait to take the Leaf to the shores of Lake Michigan this weekend! All using only L2 charging; god bless the 6.6kw charger!
yeah! I bet that 6.6Kw charger makes a huge difference. I have looked into planning such trips and I always back out. Then I always think that if I had the 6.6Kw charger, it would have been viable.

Lasareath said:
for that 118 miles stretch how fast do you plan to drive?, Is it all highways?

I pretty much avoided highways. I think I had a stretch of 5 miles highway. I use secondary highways, 2-4 lane roads where I go 55-60mph for 10-30 mile stretches, then slow down for 5 miles passing through a small town or city, then back to 55-60mph. Some if it was hilly but MI is pretty flat so I dont think elevation changes were much of a factor.

Back