240 volt adapter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie82

I'm thinking about doing the EVSE Ugrade. I'll need to plug it into the same receptacle that my electric dryer uses. Is there some type of "Y" adapter available so that I don't have to unplug the dryer every time I want to charge my Leaf? I understand that I can't use the dryer while charging the Leaf.

bernie82 said:
I'm thinking about doing the EVSE Ugrade. I'll need to plug it into the same receptacle that my electric dryer uses. Is there some type of "Y" adapter available so that I don't have to unplug the dryer every time I want to charge my Leaf? I understand that I can't use the dryer while charging the Leaf.

You would have to make one. I recommend a switch so that it could never power the dryer and LEAF at the same time.

bernie82 said:
Nobody makes a pre-manufactured one since the risks are too high that one might accidentally try using both at the same time. There are some commercial applications that have complex relay systems to allow one load to shut off if another comes on but those can get expensive. You'll probably have to roll your own setup.

i would simply mount another receptacle. MUCH cheaper. for safety, adding a switch to disable power to the dryer plug might not be a bad idea either. this saves wear and tear on breaker.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i would simply mount another receptacle. MUCH cheaper. for safety, adding a switch to disable power to the dryer plug might not be a bad idea either. this saves wear and tear on breaker.
Dont forget to prop the laundry room door open...

This is getting almost as complicated as installing a new breaker in the CB box, and running a new line to the garage to the outlet you really wanted. It might be easier to do that if the CB box is anywhere near the garage.

Here's a simple solution for sharing a circuit where only one side is running at any time. Cost is about $100 for parts.

Get a double-pole, double-throw, 40A relay, with a 120v coil, for example this one:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Power-Relay-5X847?Pid=search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get a healthy-sized box to put it in, e.g.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100552487/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=nema+3r&storeId=10051#specifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Get a simple 120v timer.

Wire the 240v circuit through the relay, with one socket coming off the NO side of the relay, and the other socket off the NC side.

Wire a 120v socket off the supply side of the relay. Plug the timer into this, and wire the relay coil with a 120v plug that you connect to the timer output.

Set the timer to power the dryer during the day, and the car by night. Most of these simple timers have an override, so you can dry or charge anytime, and the timer will drop back into its normal settings within one cycle.

Some marine stores sell them as they are used on larger boats at times to power the split power system off of one dock box receptacle. As with anything marine, however, they are pricey.

bernie82 said:

Back