240V Charging Issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldnissanleaf

Hello.

My question.
My ChargePoint Home Flex charger clicks on and off when I plug in my leaf, it won't charge. Any ideas?

Background.
I have a 2011 with around 40k on the battery. This is my second ChargePoint Home Flex charger as the first one clicked and we assume the charger was broken. Installed the new one and it also clicks. The leaf charges with my small 120V charger and it charged at 240 at a destination charger. The ChargePoint Home Flex worked with my eGolf.

Thanks! Now that I'm off reddit, it's fun finding forums again.

Take care.

Any chance you’ve got a timer set? In my experience, I have a timer set, plugging in the EVSE does cause a click like you subscribe, but the EVSE won’t actually start charging until the specified time.

I appreciate the response. Unfortunately it’s not a timer. The charger attempts to charge, then clicks off. It will cycle like this indefinitely. It’s a replacement charger and the lead charges on 240 elsewhere. I’m really not sure how to proceed.

I just looked at the ChargePoint Home Flex EVSE on Amazon. It looks good at first, but there are several reviews describing failure to charge, clicking noises, and failure of WiFi interface. One review said it drops to the lowest rate if it loses WiFi connection--I find that hard to believe. At any rate, I think you should try a different brand of EVSE since your 120-volt portable unit works and the car charges OK at public charging stations. I can recommend Clipper Creek (have HCS-50P at my workshop garage purchased in 2016, although it does not get a lot of use) in addition to the Nissan AeroVironment unit that I have been using at home since 2011.

I still haven't solved this. ChargePoint has sent me two replacement chargers at this point, for a total of three tested. The dealer also says the car is fine. An electrician double checked the install. I don't know what else to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Db65k-FMk

Without trying the same EVSE on a different EV, there's no way to say for sure if it's a problem with the charger or car. The fact that your car works with other L2 EVSE's tends to point towards the ChargePoint as the problem. You would think (by this point) that designing an EVSE is a simple thing...but some chargers/brands just don't cut it. I still use my original (240v modified) EVSE from 10 years ago along with another (dual voltage) EVSE I've had for almost 5 years...so don't assume "new" is better than "old". ;)

We are assuming you have checked offsite L2 charging at more than one L2 charger? A symptom of the failed diode issue https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24696 is that it will always charge on the stock 120 volt charger and at some L2 chargers including the AeroVironment chargers installed at Nissan dealerships. But will not charge at other L2 chargers. If you suspect a failed diode, you can modify a J1772 extension cable by adding a diode to it. I did this to verify diode failure in my Leaf, then added a new diode as described in the link.

Edit: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/widespread-chargepoint-evse-issues.28652/

Back