270 mile road trip each way

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busybj

This Thursday I'm driving up to Bass Lake near Yosemite from Simi Valley Los Angeles area. It's 270 miles and Ill have to climb the notorious "Grapevine" each way. I spent two months mapping this out, calling places to see if I can charge, and even made to practice runs trying to get over the grapevine. I'm estimating it will take me approximately 21 hours max. It should be a relaxing, kickback drive. Let you know how goes!

I'm going to be very interested in your experience here, especially regarding charging. Consider the following:

Let's assume you can go 80 miles on a charge (you need also to allow some extra so that you don't go dead before the next charging stop);

you're planning to go 270 miles, and assume you start out with a full (100% charge). You'll have to charge 3 times on the way there.

If you try to charge on 120v, each charge will take about 20 hours, so you will spend 60 hours just charging, just to get there; same on the return trip.

If you're lucky enough to find 240 v charging stations at each stop on the way up (and assuming you car has the 6.6 kw charger), you will spend about 10 hours charging.

Therefore, when you check with places on the way up for charging, it's important to be sure they are 240v. (!)

Good luck and keep us posted...

I'm also interested to hear how it goes, particularly the trip over the Grapevine. We live in the Southern San Joaquin Valley and are eager for info on how practicable it might be to get to LA and back, as well as Yosemite and back. Please let us know how much the SOC decreases and increases on the climbs and descents each way. Based on the info on Plugshare and other sites that list charging stations it looks pretty doable but I'd love to hear your real world experience.

I think this is the link that Tony was referring to.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4901&hilit=Has+anyone+LEAF%E2%80%99ed+over+the+Grapevine%3F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back