284 GIDS??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ataman

Can someone explain this?

Untitled by Firat Ataman, on Flickr

And no, my LEAF was not plugged in.

Last week I only had 261GIDS at 100% This week, I let it sit for a while after it was complete and I get more than the maximum...

I think 283 GIDs were reported with a 2011 or a 2012 LEAF from Norway. There might have been another few high GID readings with 2013 LEAFs. The SOC is on the high side. Did you have a look at the cell voltages? Any idea what the SOC was last week on a full charge?

surfingslovak said:
I think 283 GIDs were reported with a 2011 or a 2012 LEAF from Norway. There might have been another few high GID readings with 2013 LEAFs. The SOC is on the high side. Did you have a look at the cell voltages? Any idea what the SOC was last week on a full charge?

Untitled2 by Firat Ataman, on Flickr

I do not remember the SOC from last week...

ataman said:
I did look at the voltages, mostly 4.135 or so. It had one cell at 4.14

Very interesting, thank you. It looks like the battery really might have taken more charge. Back in late 2011, it was assumed that individual cell voltages would not be allowed to go over ~4.10V. Any idea what the total pack voltage might have been? I'm not sure if Jim makes that value easily accessible. The highest value I would recall was 394.5V, if memory serves. I think that's about 4.11V cell voltage.

surfingslovak said:
ataman said:
I did look at the voltages, mostly 4.135 or so. It had one cell at 4.14

Very interesting, thank you. It looks like the battery really might have taken more charge. Back in late 2011, it was assumed that individual cell voltages would not be allowed to go over ~4.10V. Any idea what the total pack voltage might have been? I'm not sure if Jim makes that value easily accessible. The highest value I would recall was 394.5V, if memory serves. I think that's about 4.11V cell voltage.

I am starting to wonder if the app was reporting wrong.. Here are the squence of events.

Car was charged 80%, I turnoff the timer, so it started charging to 100%

Once it reached to 100% I checked while it was plugged in and almost all cells were red. I left it like that for about 6 hours.

Then I hit charge again. ( I know its bad, I wanted to see the max capacity ) It took another 20 minutes.

As soon I got a completion text message, I removed the charger, started the car attached the OBD2 and got the readings. I am wondering if I should have waited a little and maybe it was reading the values from when was charging... It did take me at least a minute to get in, and pair the OBD2 etc, that should be enough time...

surfingslovak said:
The SOC is on the high side.

My LEAF was certainly assembled within days of the OP's (though its battery could still come from a different production run or line) and I always see an even higher SOC% of 97.3 after full charges.

However, I have never seen more than 276 GIDs (22.0kWh.) Ahr has been see-sawing between 61.6 and 63.9.

surfingslovak said:
Back in late 2011, it was assumed that individual cell voltages would not be allowed to go over ~4.10V.

This has changed then. I typically see 4.11x for low and 4.12x for high.

Berlino said:
This has changed then. I typically see 4.11x for low and 4.12x for high.
Yes, possibly. There is a new onboard charger and a new (or at least tweaked) battery pack in 2013 model year. This is just anecdotal, but SOC and voltage numbers appear to be slightly higher. That said, very few owners had access to a Gid meter in the early days, and the wide and easy availability of the Android app could be skewing the perception of the results distribution. To be fair, there were several cases of new 2013 LEAF, where the battery would never reach this type of GID count.

ataman said:
Can someone explain this?
And no, my LEAF was not plugged in.

Last week I only had 261GIDS at 100% This week, I let it sit for a while after it was complete and I get more than the maximum...
Interesting. My 2013 is only getting 261-263 GIDs these days. Highest I've ever seen is 274 months ago. My readings are fairly consistent and on a downward trend. Just did a 170 mile trip yesterday 85 miles each way charge at the destination to 100% and back.

i've gotten 284 on all my full charges including one time when the charging light was still flashing. guessing it was close to done...

I also get 284 GIDs when completing a 100% charge.
The max voltage is 4.123.
This is coming from a 2013 Leaf after 6 months of daily charging from regular 120v.

We have 2 Leafs, (S/SV) built about the same time (May 2013), max gids are 267 on one, 266 on the other. Max volts are 4.134/4.135 (S/SV). Max capacity 61.50/61.43. Min capacity 58.25/58.68. Current capacity 61.50/61.42. These numbers from about 50 readings each car over the past 6 mo.

No apparent relationship between age of or battery temperature and capacity that I can tell.

S has only had L2 charging mostly to 80% but about 1x weekly to 100%. SV has had about 20 L3 charges and rest L2, again mostly to 80%, sometimes to 100%. Both cars run down to below VLBW at least once weekly. Both have been to turtle 2 or 3 times.

Back