5 Minute Cycle Timer to Charge Leaf - Is it safe?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does your water heater have two 4.5kW heating elements? If so, you could connect them in series and get 2.3 kW total water heater load.

AntronX said:
Does your water heater have two 4.5kW heating elements? If so, you could connect them in series and get 2.3 kW total water heater load.

Yes, but I would rather not invalidate the warranty. :)

I hadn't thought about demand charges in this respect yet as I'm not on such a schedule. However the thread got me thinking.

Years ago switched from a separate washer and forced air dryer to one of the combo units (mine is an LG). Rather than stacked, this is an all-in-one front loader that automatically dries your clothes after the wash is complete (great for starting a load before work and coming home to clean and dry clothes).

The neat thing is the dryer is a "condensing" unit. Rather than exhaust the hot air out, it stays in the machine much like an oven. The hot air is recirculated and dehumidified by blowing it over a trickle of cold water. While this uses some cold water to dry the clothes, it uses less power. In fact it plugs into a 15A 120V outlet. That freed up a 240V breaker in my panel. The unit overall uses much less energy and water than my old separates, and that's not even figuring in the savings of not exhausting conditioned home air outside.

Downsides of course: drying takes about twice as long compared to forced air, and you can't start a second load washing while the first is drying. I adjusted by doing laundry when I'm away or asleep anyway. I could see having two such units in a busy household.

Small versions are the same size as a dishwasher and are installed in kitchens and RVs. The unit I have is larger - about the same size as LG's standard front loaders. If it ever wears out I'll replace it with the same.

Back