6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what do you mean by "main pack"?
Consider that there are 2 battery packs in an EV.

"main pack" may be a redundant expression, but i use that for the Main Battery Pack under the car, the Main High Voltage Energy Source for all the HV loads. There is a harness from the pack to the PDM; i suspect that there is a HV Interlock circuit at the connector of the pack into the pdm.

The other battery pack i call the Auxiliary or 12V Starter Battery. It is used for all the Low Voltage loads and power supplies for relays, contactors and ECUs, and to "Start" the car to READY mode. This battery is very important for an EV to operate or charge, and an old, weak or worn out aux battery is frequently the cause of numerous issues for an EV.

what is that box called?
That is the harness side (H.S.) of the F1 connector. It has a locking latch and mates to connector E8. It provides an intermediate junction connection between the VCM and other ECUs.
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 12.34.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 12.45.25 PM.png
These are in the harness between the VCM and the PDM shown in the diagram posted yesterday.

Path: VCM/E62 -> E8/F1 -> F23/PDM

Last edited:
The "box" that Darla connects new wires to (see attached photo)
I note that Dala doesn't connect to anything in that box; he cuts the nine wires short! He connects to wires that WERE FORMERLY connected to that box, that come from the PDM. Using the new harness seems crazy to me, it only uses 4 wires from that harness, and then you have to extend them (a longer distance?) to the connector near the CHAdeMO socket. I think Dala got the new harness "just in case" and decided to use it since he'd already paid for it.

New harness wiring.jpg

However, there is a small chance that some other wires are different between the old and the new harness. IF that is the case, Dala's method is arguably a little easier than trying to sort out what changed in the remaining dozens of wires. My wild guess is that they did not change any of the other wires.

Last edited:
Consider that there are 2 battery packs in an EV.

"main pack" may be a redundant expression, but i use that for the Main Battery Pack under the car, the Main High Voltage Energy Source for all the HV loads. There is a harness from the pack to the PDM; i suspect that there is a HV Interlock circuit at the connector of the pack into the pdm.

The other battery pack i call the Auxiliary or 12V Starter Battery. It is used for all the Low Voltage loads and power supplies for relays, contactors and ECUs, and to "Start" the car to READY mode. This battery is very important for an EV to operate or charge, and an old, weak or worn out aux battery is frequently the cause of numerous issues for an EV.
12v or 420v battery might be a more concise term
When the 420v battery harness enters the PDM
there are 2 red wires and a ground wire.
is that what you want to know?

Last edited:
I note that Dala doesn't connect to anything in that box; he cuts the nine wires short! He connects to wires that WERE FORMERLY connected to that box, that come from the PDM. Using the new harness seems crazy to me, it only uses 4 wires from that harness, and then you have to extend them (a longer distance?) to the connector near the CHAdeMO socket. I think Dala got the new harness "just in case" and decided to use it since he'd already paid for it.

View attachment 3818

However, there is a small chance that some other wires are different between the old and the new harness. IF that is the case, Dala's method is arguably a little easier than trying to sort out what changed in the remaining dozens of wires. My wild guess is that they did not change any of the other wires.
The 2013 Leaf had NO Fast Charging wiring. So the top row has NO wires. Dala copied the wiring from a Leaf with fast charging
and attached new wires where there were none. I don't understand what the wires came from and where they are going.

The 2013 Leaf had NO Fast Charging wiring. So the top row has NO wires.
Right. But IF you replaced the harness that plugs into that large round connector, then you would have those nine wires. Dala did it that way just so he didn't have to trace those 9 wires (and a few others, BTW) back to the PDM. You can do it either way: replace that harness like Dala did, or as I suggest, trace the wiring (on the wiring diagrams, not your car, your car doesn't have them) back to connectors in the PDM and connect to those.

It's possible that the connectors will be missing the required wires and pins. If so, you do need the harness, or you can try to source pins and put them into the connectors. Or add your own connectors; there aren't that many wires involved.

With the interlock, it's unclear to me why you would suddenly have this issue. I suspect that Dala ran into it because he used the new harness.

1714010294128.png

The easiest way to work around this is to connect the pink and orange wires at F23 (the large round connector) together. If you don't have these wires, you'll have to trace back. Note that there could be a colour change at the E8-F1 function.

Do you have all the relevant wiring diagrams, and have them printed out? Without those diagrams, it's all going to be much much harder.

Edit: Sigh! Looks like the connector in Dala's video with the locking latch is F1, not the large round F23. So sorry for the misguidance! Nlspace posted about F1 above.

Last edited:
Right. But IF you replaced the harness that plugs into that large round connector, then you would have those nine wires. Dala did it that way just so he didn't have to trace those 9 wires (and a few others, BTW) back to the PDM. You can do it either way: replace that harness like Dala did, or as I suggest, trace the wiring (on the wiring diagrams, not your car, your car doesn't have them) back to connectors in the PDM and connect to those.

It's possible that the connectors will be missing the required wires and pins. If so, you do need the harness, or you can try to source pins and put them into the connectors. Or add your own connectors; there aren't that many wires involved.

With the interlock, it's unclear to me why you would suddenly have this issue. I suspect that Dala ran into it because he used the new harness.

View attachment 3836

The easiest way to work around this is to connect the pink and orange wires at F23 (the large round connector) together. If you don't have these wires, you'll have to trace back. Note that there could be a colour change at the E8-F1 function.

Is this the pink and orange wires? this is the connector that comes out of F23 and plugs into the upper most PCB ( the proximity and pilot wire PCB)
Is the same Pilot and proximity system used for both the fast and normal charging? The pictures of the PDM PCB's and F23 are wired for normal charging.
PXL_20240418_201020205.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20240418_201235293.jpg3213-c5cd7c1e85a6a7366fc3c438b53143a6.jpg3231-0c5d24127384de66fc9acc1d45419405.pngPXL_20240418_200618554.MP.jpg

Last edited:
My humble apologies for the confusion; I was calling F1 (with the locking gizmo) F23. Sigh. I've edited my posts, I hope I got them all.

Regardless, it appears that your F23 has different wire coloring; I have no idea why.

IF the pins numbers are the same, it seems that your interlockpins are dark green and dark green with black stripe. But it would be good to buzz that out with a multimeter. I use a through-hole resistor to poke into the socket.

It would be good to get a wiring diagram that agrees with your model; I have no idea how hard that would be to obtain.

i think those wires are on the inside of the PDM feeding into the connector on the control board, CN100. That's why the colors don't match; there is no wiring diagram for inside the PDM.

That black round thing is the mating half for F23 inside the PDM, can be seen in the lower right corner of the PDM picture.

My humble apologies for the confusion; I was calling F1 (with the locking gizmo) F23. Sigh. I've edited my posts, I hope I got them all.

Regardless, it appears that your F23 has different wire coloring; I have no idea why.

IF the pins numbers are the same, it seems that your interlockpins are dark green and dark green with black stripe. But it would be good to buzz that out with a multimeter. I use a through-hole resistor to poke into the socket.

It would be good to get a wiring diagram that agrees with your model; I have no idea how hard that would be to obtain.
I am dealing with 2 PDM's,,,one from the 2013 Leaf
(no fast charging) and a PDM with fast charging. I will post pictures of the fast charging PDM wires next

i think those wires are on the inside of the PDM feeding into the connector on the control board, CN100. That's why the colors don't match; there is no wiring diagram for inside the PDM.

That black round thing is the mating half for F23 inside the PDM, can be seen in the lower right corner of the PDM picture.
(no fast charging) and a PDM with fast charging. I will post pictures of the fast charging PDM wires next

CN100....I cannot find any mention if this PCB number in the FSM or the internet.
where did you find this reverence?

Look at the board or your pictures of the board; it is the reference designator for the header on the circuit board to which the white connector plugs in.

Take a picture of the white connector from the backside so we can see all the wires and which slot they are inserted. Or better yet, write down all the pin numbers and the wire color, this will be the pinout for the CN100 connector. Here's an example but it doesn't have to be fancy--just a simple list in a post would help.
Control_Board-Input Connector E-03.jpg

Then once you have that list it will be easier to compare between the 2 PDM to see if there are differences.

The white letters and numbers printed on the circuit board are Reference Designators for components, connectors and pins, to use for identification. Take a look at this picture to see the pin numbering scheme for CN100.
CN100 wiring RD.jpeg

So we can take the pinout for F23, where we have the wire colors outside of the PDM, and correlate them to the wire colors inside the PDM going to the control board CN100. This can be used to help identify the functions and circuits on the control board.

The white letters and numbers printed on the circuit board are Reference Designators for components, connectors and pins, to use for identification. Take a look at this picture to see the pin numbering scheme for CN100.
View attachment 3893

So we can take the pinout for F23, where we have the wire colors outside of the PDM, and correlate them to the wire colors inside the PDM going to the control board CN100. This can be used to help identify the functions and circuits on the control board.

Thanks for reply....lets keep everything in the thread

Yes i did, thanks for tracing those out.

Interlock wires: don't know if this is holding up your system or not, but i have been trying to figure out what the Green and Green/Black wires (CN100) do on the control board and thru the PDM just from looking at the pictures.

Is there any continuity between those wire on the control board and the G G/B that seem to go to the Chademo board?

Back