64GB SD card

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astolfo

for some reason I can't access the music on this card? I copied my music to it but the radio says that there is no device....what am I doing wrong?
Of course that because the size of the card it can only be formatted in NTFS or exFAT in windows. The card works it plays just fine in my computer, and stereo on my boat.

TIA

USB memory stick only supports FAT16 and FAT32. But FAT32 would be able to support a 64g stick. (XP and W2K can only format up to 32g, but can read up to 127g partitions sizes). I'd try to reformat and reload the stick (Use Win7 to format Fat32 for the full 64 gigs). The radio unit will support up to 8000 files on USB with a max of 255 files in any one folder.

Astolfo said:
I thought that the manual said it did...
It's for maintenance and servicing, upgrading internal software, diagnostics, etc... bet the car feels somewhat violated that someone stuck a dirty "userland" card full of music into it. :lol:

Astolfo said:
for some reason I can't access the music on this card? I copied my music to it but the radio says that there is no device....what am I doing wrong?
Of course that because the size of the card it can only be formatted in NTFS or exFAT in windows. The card works it plays just fine in my computer, and stereo on my boat.

TIA
It's not you - its an obsolete operating system in the Nav system.

When USB thumb drives tried to grow past 2GB, they encountered a problem managing the memory space beyond 2GB.

The "solution" required redefining the function of several bits in the drives control register in a way that maintained compatibility with 2GB and smaller drives.

Unfortunately, older devices accessing the drive know nothing about the bit redefinition, and generally can not access greater than 2GB without encountering issues. I've had instances where the drive is made unreadable by both the Nav system, and the desktop PC I originally used to write the drive. When that happens, the Nav system can't find the drive. Recovery requires at least a fast format of the drive on the PC.

The work-around is to either use 2GB or smaller flash drives, or use only the first 2GB (actually about 1.75GB) of a larger drive. Alternatives require smart phones: connect phone to USB or Aux input, or play from smart phone via Bluetooth. (I don't know how well the USB connection works.)

Until Clarion (Nissan) provides a firmware update to the Nav system, we're stuck with this. Does anyone know if 2013/14 Nav systems have been fixed?

Considering that 2GB flash drives were already becoming hard to find when I took delivery of my 2012 in Dec 2011, I'd say that the Nav system was obsolete on delivery.

It's not a GB limitation, the nav simply does not let you use an SD card to play music. I use a 4 gb USB stick without issue.

JeremyW said:
It's not a GB limitation, the nav simply does not let you use an SD card to play music. I use a 4 gb USB stick without issue.
I use several SanDisk 8GB USB thumb drives simply because I've had problems locating 2GB drives. As long as there is less than about 1.75GB of MP3s on the drive, all is well. If the MP3s cross the (fuzzy) 2GB border, the Nav may be able to continue reading the current file (and possibly others that follow) as long as the playback is in order, and is not disturbed.

If the drive is marked "HC" (High Capacity, commonly seen on SD cards and USB flash drives over 2GB), then problems are almost certainly assured when trying to access a file beyond the first 2GB page within the drive. (The redefined control register bits impact 2GB page selection within the drive.)

I'd be interested in knowing what version of the Nav system you have. You can find this data under Menu > Info > Navigation Version. Mine is a QY72-00NE (the 'E' designates year 2011), Program Version 157

And then, I may be posting this to an inappropriate group....

A few issues here:

1) The unit won't play music from SD cards placed in the cars SD card reader. Notice I didn't say "can't". There's a lot of stupid little things that Nissan chose not to do, even though the technology in the car is totally capable of doing it.
2) The unit supports FAT16 and FAT32. If you have a 64GB USB drive (or 64GB SD card plugged into a USB card reader), it's probably not formatted to FAT32 since that file system supports a maximum of 32GB drives.
3) I've never encountered the 2GB limit people are talking about (I've used 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB USB drives with no problems). FAT32 supports a maximum file size (not partition size) of 2GB (is this what people are talking about?), but I don't know any music file that would be that large.

Back