$7500 federal tax credit + vehicle charging station credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0skiBear

I realize this may be a bit late since tax day is just around the corner, but I was plugging in my numbers for my 2011 Leaf purchase and charger install (ECOTality/Blink) and came up with two scenarios that you folks may have encountered:

1. my house only had a 100A meter, so we had to get a service upgrade. I opted to bump up to 200A. This required quite a bit of electrical work as the wires are underground/sidewalk, the new meter ended up being moved to the other side of the house, and wiring had to be connected from the new meter to the new, replacement panel in the garage. Since all of this work was required in order for the ECOtality contractor to sign off on/install the Blink charger, would the cost of the electrical service upgrade (permits, labor, parts) be included in the vehicle charging station credit calculation, or would it be just the cost I had to pay to have the charger installed (contractor passed ECOtality's limit by ~$200)?

2. my total tax liability before credits/deductions was way past $7500, so I was able to get the full $7500 tax credit for the Leaf. However, that credit moved me from owing on federal (-$3936) to getting a refund (+$3564). However, since I'm in the positive, I am unable to take any of the vehicle charging station credit. If I were to delete the Leaf from the return, I get a $1000 tax credit for the charging station. So, my question is regarding the feasibility of increasing my tax liability in these last few days in order to use the credit. If I'm doing the math correctly, if can increase my liability by $4564, that will put drop me from getting a $3564 refund to owing $1000; at which point the vehicle charging station credit should bring me back to $0.

Is this possible with so little time left? Is it worth it? I figured my wife and I can make some Roth IRA contributions for 2011 or something, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Whether you get a refund or not has nothing to do with it. It is all tied up with your Alternate Minimum Tax computation, even though you may not have to pay tax at the AMT rate. (In fact, everyone who files form 8911 to get a charging station credit is required to also file form 6251, the AMT calculation.) There is a limited range of Adjusted Gross Income, from about $70K to $85K for couples filing jointly, where you might be able to claim the $7500 credit plus some charging station credit. But there is nothing you can do (legally) about your 2011 AGI at this late date.

We hashed this out pretty thoroughly in a thread titled crisis re: the 7500 federal tax credit and I believe my post here summarizes the facts well.

Ray

Back