80% charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need to set charging timers using the center console and NOT press the timer override button on the dash. The instructions for setting the timers are in the manual beginning at page CH-18, but there are a lot of options/details/idiosyncrasies/limitations in how they work. If you have any specific questions about how the timers work, someone here can likely answer.

If you set the Timer's Start and End times the same (End is always
LATER than the Start, so this "same" End time would be the next day),
then charging will start whenever you plug in.

Setting the Timer to 80% achieves charging to 80% anytime.

If you want, occasionally, to charge to 100%, just press the
Timer Override button before you plug in.

garygid said:

+1 Thats what I do, or manually start the charger from the LEAF LINK app

mazdaboi said:
+1 Thats what I do, or manually start the charger from the LEAF LINK app
Correct me if I'm wrong, but remote start charging from Carwings is equivalent to start charging with the Override timer button. Your car will charge to 100%.

I just verified it by remote start charging my LEAF while it's plugged in at my garage right now, and it's already stopped earlier at 80%, and now it's started charging again, past 80%.

garygid said:

One tiny clarification: you can press the timer override button while plugged-in and it also will work fine. To stop override charging (say, before you get to a full 100%, as some of us routinely do because we want more than 80% but not 100% since it means no regen braking) just unplug and replug the car. That will allow it to revert to whatever timer is currently set, including the climate control timers for preheating.

Like many here, my timers are always set to 80% and I use override to get more than that, when desired, shortly before leaving home. (Usually just a half hour to forty-five minutes of override charging is sufficient for my purposes.)

I use a combination of 80 and 100 percent timers. Some day I need eighty and some day's I need 100. So what I do is I just set an end time for eighty percent on timer two and and end time for 100 percent on time 1. This actually alleviates the timer thinking it is on the wrong day. My hundred precent timer I have it start so that when I leave my time at 100 percent is not very long. Usually every sunday I set up my timer plan for the week on what days I will need 100 or eighty percent.
Hairy

My wife is going away this weekend. She is going to my in laws on Friday where she will leave the Leaf. She will go to the airport in her sisters car and come back Sunday. I am hoping there is a way to leave the Leaf plugged in without charging until early Sunday when I will use Carwings to start the charge. I will just need to get a few hours charging to get her home.

It would really be no problem to set timers for an 80% charge and leave the car at that level. The extra couple of days sitting at 80% won't make any difference to long-term battery life. If she needs more than 80% you could then use CarWings to charge to 100% as desired. Simpler that way.

willk55 said:
My wife is going away this weekend. She is going to my in laws on Friday where she will leave the Leaf. She will go to the airport in her sisters car and come back Sunday. I am hoping there is a way to leave the Leaf plugged in without charging until early Sunday when I will use Carwings to start the charge. I will just need to get a few hours charging to get her home.

Thanks to all ofyou that replied to my post. I guess i didn't understand the usage of the timers.
doc

On a related idea....

Say I want to get to a 90% charge more regularly.

Could I sent the 80% charge timer to run from say 6AM to 5AM, and then the second timer set at 100% from 5:10AM to 5:40AM? The 80% would usually fill me to 80% and then the last charge whould take me a little higher to around 90%

Would that work?

The car would be at 90% for only a few minutes since I leave most days around 6 AM......

I need a 90% charge to safely make it to work. I have been successful using just 120V overnight but just barely. I now have a 240V outlet in the garage. I'm debating whether to get the EVSE Upgrade. Ideally I would like to get a 90% charge that shuts off at least 1 hr before I leave. Is there a standard charging rate per hour for 120V and 240V?

willk55 said:
I need a 90% charge to safely make it to work. I have been successful using just 120V overnight but just barely. I now have a 240V outlet in the garage. I'm debating whether to get the EVSE Upgrade. Ideally I would like to get a 90% charge that shuts off at least 1 hr before I leave. Is there a standard charging rate per hour for 120V and 240V?
Perhaps the most useful way to answer that would be to say that 240v at 16A charges about 3 times as fast as 120v at 12A. You could also get the slightly cheaper 12A EVSEupgrade. I haven't see numbers posted for that, but theoretically it should be about 2.2 times as fast as 120v at 12A. My personal experience (based on gut feel only) is that it is more like 2.5 times as fast as 120v at 12A.

Ray

willk55 said:
If you have a 240V outlet, EVSE Upgrade would be the least expensive and quite reliable way to charge your car. (That assumes that you don't need to take the EVSE with you every day, in which case it would be more practical to have a second EVSE for home plus the portable one in the car.)

There isn't a way to program a 90% charge and trying to do it with timers is likely impractical since the remaining charge you end up with when you get home will vary somewhat with seasons and driving conditions. The way I do it is to use an end-time-only charge to 80%, set to finish about when I plan to leave (it always finishes early). Then I do an override charge for a half hour or forty-five minutes additional, using a kitchen timer to remind me to unplug the car when it is done. I find this is pretty simple but it may be more trouble than it is worth for you, in which case you might be better off with just doing a 100% charge with an end-time-only set for about when you leave. (The reason I don't like to charge to 100% is that I would like to have some regenerative braking to descend hills when I leave home since I live in a mountainous area.)

A half hour beyond an 80% charge is likely about 90%, but the actual SOC is less important than having enough to make the trip and, in my case, having it low enough to retain some regenerative braking.

willk55 said:
Not sure where you are located, but if you aren't in a very high heat location (and perhaps even if you are), charging to 90% will gain you very little battery life vs. 100% if you start driving soon after charging completes. If I were you, I'd probably set an end-only timer to complete 1/2 hour after you normally leave. The end-only timer generally starts 1/2 - 1.5 hours too early (though it seems to start even earlier for some people). If, by chance, you miss 1/2 hour of charging, you'll get your 90%.

IMHO, in general, charging to 100% has little harm as long as you start driving to bring the charge down within an hour or so.

set it for 80% and when you are brushing your teeth, or making your lunch, or washing out the coffee cup -- whatever is your routine that takes place around 30 minutes before you leave -- fire off the remote charge on button.
the worst thing that will happen is you get a 100% charge because you left in an hour.

Thanks everyone. My commute is 90% freeway and starts out with a gradual upgrade so loss of regeneration is not important. I think I will get the EVSE upgrade and charge to 100% during the workweek (with only the end timer set an hour or so before I leave).

garygid said:

Thanks for this and the other answers given here, very helpful.

Other points to make:

- I see no reason given by Nissan or anyone why on Earth we have to go through all this "timer" stuff in order to make sure not to charge to 100%. If Nissan thinks it is important that we not charge to 100% regularly and without good reason, then why have they made it difficult to hit a button and charge to 90% or 80%? Until I read this trick that Gary and others have discussed, I have charged to 100% many more times just because I got sick of the battles I was having with the charge timer.

- As suggested at the Phoenix Town Hall, perhaps we could have a 90% of charge setting? I don't know at what point battery life is harmed more.

- The EPA has recently (apparently, from what I read second-hand) changed its range estimates in such a way that the Leaf estimates are lowered to account for sometimes charging to 80%.

Back