8000 miles, front Ecopia's already at wear bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
KillaWhat said:
I wouldn't drive on a Firestone / Bridgestone just on principal anyway.
+1
LOL!

I don't mind them. I have Bridgestones as all 4 tires on my Prius.

FWIW, I bought 2 EP422's for my Prius 13K miles ago (confirmed via my receipt). They still have PLENTY of life left but I think I've gone thru at least 1 rotation since I got them. The EP422's are currently on the front. Tire size might be different than the Leaf and the Prius is lighter (mine is 2890 lbs). Higher loads on tires == less life.

OTOH, I'm not sure of the size of my Prius tires vs. that of the Leaf, nor the load capacity ratings.

easy to see how spirited driving can wear them out quick. the car is heavy with low center of gravity which allows tires to plant a little better which means taking them traffic circles at 25 mph (i admit to being a bit guilty of that) will take its toll

Mine made it to 29,000 and still had ~8/32 but I noticed hydroplaning issues during the last rain. I just replace them with some 18 inch ZRrated tires and what a difference.

KillaWhat said:
I'm further Upgrading next week to 225 45 17 Michelin MXM4's on 17 X 7 Juke wheels.

I'd like to take credit for the idea, but Tony did it first:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7619&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread has lots of info from people who made the MXV4 change.

I really, really like this tire/wheel combo after about 400 miles (over 200 on the first day). Everything is better (looks, handling, stability, braking, tread life) over the Ecopia's; it's night and day going around corners.

The only question is range, and once I have about 1000 miles on them, I'll give 'em a proper range test. I can tell you that there was a noticeable impact to range so far, but I expect that to improve at 1000 miles.

My original Ecopia's will be stored until the lease return.

Our Ecopias were toast after 13K miles, primarily on mountain roads. We've now had our replacement Kumhos for 10K miles and they are holding up very well. Our local mountain mechanic, who installed them, recommends rotations every 3000 miles and they are free with the purchase of tires. The only thing is, there's not much other maintenance they can sell us on those visits. I did have them change the wiper blades this time...

TonyWilliams said:
KillaWhat said:
I'm further Upgrading next week to 225 45 17 Michelin MXM4's on 17 X 7 Juke wheels.

I'd like to take credit for the idea, but Tony did it first:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7619&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread has lots of info from people who made the MXV4 change.

I really, really like this tire/wheel combo after about 400 miles (over 200 on the first day). Everything is better (looks, handling, stability, braking, tread life) over the Ecopia's; it's night and day going around corners.

The only question is range, and once I have about 1000 miles on them, I'll give 'em a proper range test. I can tell you that there was a noticeable impact to range so far, but I expect that to improve at 1000 miles.

I found a great article from Motor Trend (with detailed results from comparisons on the test track) on why Michelin tires, and specifically the Primacy MXMs, are great tires:

"Whether on the track or on the street, Michelin has shown a dogged determination to offer the best tires on the road. Critics will note that Michelins tend to cost more than the competition, but the company believes consumers are willing to pay extra for quality rubber. The numbers don't lie."

Back