About to pull trigger on new Leaf - is this practical?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
One thing you might want to consider with charging at 120 Volts at work is the nuisance of carrying and plugging-in the charge cable every day. Most people who make-do with 120 Volt charging are able to leave the portable EVSE at home, although some do take it with them. Plugging and unplugging hundreds of times does cause some wear on outlets and the plug. The device really isn't designed for that. The J1772 plug that goes to the car IS designed for hundreds to thousands of plug/unplug cycles. .
That isnt my experience at all with plugging in at work daily.
i keep the cord in a milk box, so i dont have toy coil it so tightly and i use the reverse rap of the cord, which has been featured on this board, to forestall kinking. I use a little care to pull the cord out by the plug holder.
it takes about two minutes to do it each time.

I use a lock through the locking hole to secure the cord to the vehicle at the J1772 end.

Well, after much discussion, I think we have decided leasing a Leaf is the way to go; it probably won't happen till after the first of the year and honestly I'd like to wait till February or March simply to get the worst of the winter weather over with.

In the meantime, I'm be looking at dealers in St. Louis; if anyone finds one better than the other, let me know!

The interesting problem after I buy one is getting it home near Farmington - it is going to be a long run. From the 255/55 intersection, I'm looking at 71 miles to home.

skywulf... check this thread for st. louis leafers...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And reporting from the other side of Missouri (ok it's KS but still...) I found last winter that at an 80% charge I was comfortably getting 40 miles of range with the bad heater driving around 35-45 mph. I don't recall seeing any comment in your thread about highway driving but if you exceed 55 mph then you'll want to revisit some of the considerations. I'm glad you decided on leasing.

As far as waiting until spring.... if you wait that puts you closer to summer and the start of real battery degradation. If you start in the fall/winter then you can start saving $$ vs buying gas and get some miles on a cool pack before summer hit. Having said that I got my '12 in June of '12 and after 18k+ miles still have all 12 capacity bars but I have noticed decreased range. But that is normal. Good luck.

Back