Additional sixty day delay on delivery of red and blue cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhClem

Yesterday evening I returned home to find a rather vague phone message from Devon at Nissan customer support asking me to return her call. She wasn't there when I called back this morning, but the rep I talked to said the the reason for the call was to let me know that there was was a shortage of red and blue cars in the production schedule that would cause an additional sixty day delivery delay of my red SL-e. He gave me the option of changing the color on my order to black, white, or silver to keep my July delivery month and said I should call back later to talk with Devon if I wanted more information.

Ouch. That would push my Jan 6th order to nearly 9 months...

This sounds earthquake related. And very bad, considering red and blue account for 58 percent of all Leaf orders on the spreadsheet.

Go with pearl white. It was my first choce, but my wife had veto powers. ;)
Black cars show every speck of dirt and are solar collectors.

BTW I though I read something right after the quake that there was major damage to the painting facility.

Some of the American car companies have had to suspend production of certain colors due to supply issues with some of the raw materials for the paint dyes. Apparently some of these come only from Japan. Ford is short of some of their reds and high-end blacks.

jcesare said:
BTW I though I read something right after the quake that there was major damage to the painting facility.
Not the painting facility (which is in the Nissan factory), but the paint supplier in Japan.
There was one quote about the paint factory being "wiped out". Trying to find out who the vendor is and where they were located..

Yeah, I was guessing that it's caused by an earthquake related supply issue.

jcesare said:
Go with pearl white. It was my first choce, but my wife had veto powers. ;)
Black cars show every speck of dirt and are solar collectors.
There was a Black with tinted windows at the Seattle LEAF Meet that looked really sharp but I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much time keeping it looking like that.

On the other hand, here in the Northwest, being a solar collector might be an advantage :lol:

Definitely earthquake related - was reading yesterday that Honda has had to restrict dealer orders of certain colors due to a shortage of colorants.

Well I'm glad to know that Nissan had enough red paint to build and deliver the exact same red SL I ordered to my dealer last week, however that car was allocated to someone who ordered 3 months after I did. Also glad to see that Nissan had enough red paint to build and deliver enough red Leafs so that various dealers could have orphans to sell at premium prices. Nice.

I'm sure the extra sixty day delay will have no effect on the ability to get the California rebate.

This just gets better and better.

White, black and silver have the advantages that they dont fade.. black and white are easy to match if you ever have to repaint the car.. not sure about silver?..

White makes a car look bigger, and it hides lots of dirt (unless its mud, then you want a brown color to match), black makes a car look smaller and it shows dust if you are obsessive about that.. and the heat issue of course. I always recommend you tint the windows for any color car. Its a shame red is not available.. it sure looks sharp with dark tinted windows.

I just got off both the phone and a chat session with Nissan. They said the delay only will effect new orders and will not slow down delivery of my June Leaf.

I hope they are telling the truth

LALeaf said:
Well I'm glad to know that Nissan had enough red paint to build and deliver the exact same red SL I ordered to my dealer last week, however that car was allocated to someone who ordered 3 months after I did. Also glad to see that Nissan had enough red paint to build and deliver enough red Leafs so that various dealers could have orphans to sell at premium prices. Nice.

I'm sure the extra sixty day delay will have no effect on the ability to get the California rebate.

Bend over, LALeaf; you're gettin' the shaft big time! (I'm "sort of" bending over, but not as far as you. And, of course, I ordered the Cayenne color.)

My delivery was supposed to be April, then June, then 6/22 then 6/30, then they offered me a silver one instead of the red, citing another 5 week delay if I wanted to get the cayenne I had ordered. Are these guys cutting a different deal with everyone? Based on the posts... seems like if I holler loud enough it might make a difference, yes?

derkraut said:
LALeaf said:

Bend over, LALeaf; you're gettin' the shaft big time! (I'm "sort of" bending over, but not as far as you. And, of course, I ordered the Cayenne color.)
Thank you for your concern, but I'm good, I just checked with Nissan customer service and they assured me that the red paint storage will not affect my order. Since I know Nissan CS is always 100% accurate and has access to all the most up to date and relevant information, all my worries have been dealt with and I'm now sure that my car will be delivery right on time, as promised.

Devon called me too. They offered me silver instead of red. Yuk! I'm getting the feeling from reading the posts that Nissan is not going by date of order placed, and that orphans are not going to the next human in line, but instead to dealerships to sell at premium, is this true? My concern now is still being able to get the $5000 CA rebate-- don't know how long that will last. Anyone found a way to talk with a supervisor about this? I don't want to change my color only to be slapped with some other additional delay. Shouldn't they know by now all the potential delays??

LALeaf said, in part:

"Thank you for your concern, but I'm good, I just checked with Nissan customer service and they assured me that the red paint storage will not affect my order. Since I know Nissan CS is always 100% accurate and has access to all the most up to date and relevant information, all my worries have been dealt with and I'm now sure that my car will be delivery right on time, as promised."

Oh oh! Is there a doctor in the house? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back