Advice on buying 2013 Leaf SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonSwanson said:
Also, one thing I forgot to mention in my original post is this car has a RED carpool sticker, which all of us in Southern California know is gold. I can use the carpool lanes until 2022.

That's interesting. The only way I can think of that a MY2013 EV can get the new red stickers is if it got its first set on or after 1/1/2017. So either the original owner waited until then to apply, or this car was brought in from out of state after that date.

RonDawg said:
RonSwanson said:
Also, one thing I forgot to mention in my original post is this car has a RED carpool sticker, which all of us in Southern California know is gold. I can use the carpool lanes until 2022.

That's interesting. The only way I can think of that a MY2013 EV can get the new red stickers is if it got its first set on or after 1/1/2017. So either the original owner waited until then to apply, or this car was brought in from out of state after that date.

They got the stickers last year apparently. Didn't have a commute until recently where the carpool would benefit.

I picked up my car a couple days ago and it's even better than I expected. I've been doing my 17 mile (each way) commute and only using 15-20% battery even though I get up to highway speeds for big chunks of the commute (70-75mph). My morning commute I use about 15% because it's to a lower elevation. Then on the way back up on the way home I'm only using around 20%. I'd be happy with just making it to work and back with a bit to spare but I could probably commute for 2 full days before needing a charge if I charged to 100% and didn't do any side rides.

I've been just charging to 80% per some advice I've seen floating around. So after my commute home and back I'm at around 40-45% and I just charge back up to 80%. I'm estimating I'll save around $100-$120 per month by not having to buy gas. I still need to do the math to see it's cheaper to charge at home or at work. I'm guessing home is cheaper but I'll figure that out soon.

Love the car!!

Congrats! I've had my Leaf for over a year now and I still love it. They are great cars when operated within their limitations and it sounds like your use case fits well within those boundaries. After a while, going to a gas station will feel so....primitive.

RonSwanson said:
I picked up my car a couple days ago and it's even better than I expected. I've been doing my 17 mile (each way) commute and only using 15-20% battery even though I get up to highway speeds for big chunks of the commute (70-75mph). My morning commute I use about 15% because it's to a lower elevation. Then on the way back up on the way home I'm only using around 20%. I'd be happy with just making it to work and back with a bit to spare but I could probably commute for 2 full days before needing a charge if I charged to 100% and didn't do any side rides.

I've been just charging to 80% per some advice I've seen floating around. So after my commute home and back I'm at around 40-45% and I just charge back up to 80%. I'm estimating I'll save around $100-$120 per month by not having to buy gas. I still need to do the math to see it's cheaper to charge at home or at work. I'm guessing home is cheaper but I'll figure that out soon.

Love the car!!

Congrats. BTW another reason to charge only to 80% is so you will have regen for your downhill commute. If you charge to 100% you will have to rely solely on friction brakes (and aerodynamic drag, and rolling resistance) to keep your speed down.

US/Canadian 2014 and later Leaf owners would love to have the automatic 80% charge feature that your car, and earlier models, had. Nissan took it out for 2014 to bump up its EPA estimated range.

RonSwanson said:

Love the car!!

Congratulations!
You are doing better than I am.
I drive 12 miles each way and I spend about 22% in the morning and 18% on the way back.
24 miles for 40% of battery...

@tesleaf 24 miles for 40% is the same ratio as 60 miles for 100% which, for winter driving, is pretty normal, particularly if it's cold or wet weather and you are doing a mix of city and highway driving.

Had the car for about 6 weeks now. I live in Southern California so it's never cold but it's been cooler 50s/60s during the day and 30s/40s during my morning commute so my efficiency has gone down. I now take about 20% to get to work and 30% to get home. I also have been going a bit faster on the freeways to keep up with traffic sometimes so it is that as well.

Overall the car has been great. Spending $5 to charge at work per week ($0.70/hour for level 2). Love the power when I turn off ECO mode. There have been a couple times when I wish I had a car with longer range. Like when I remember I need to go to appointments in other cities during lunch. I have to charge up to 100% on these days so I don't worry about range anxiety. Also almost got stranded once as I planned on charging at a location with 6 chargers but they were all occupied for 3+ hours. I had to stick around way longer than anticipated. I'm still getting the hang of this.

Back