Air-conditioning issues on 2015 leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himanshu76

Hello all,
I started leasing 2015 Nissan leaf S around 3 1/2 months ago in May. Right off the lot, the A/C unit never worked. A month and half later, I took it to a dealer to get it fixed. They fixed something, the A/c worked for few days and stopped working again. Few weeks later, I went through same ordeal. Next time they kept the leaf for a week, gave me a loaner to fix the car. Same issue, worked for few days and stopped working again.
I just wanted to check if any other Nissan leaf owners have had this issue and whats the remedy. The purpose of getting new car is to avoid seeing dealers every other week.

-Himanshu

Hopefully someone can help you with your problem, but you should also consider researching your State's lemon laws. If there is an issue which recurs (x) many times, without resolution from the dealer, the car could be deemed a lemon and would be replaced. Something to look into anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I have had many new vehicles before but this is 1st time I have had this problem. I live in California, so I will definitely research that. I have contacted Nissan consumer affairs but they have been slow in responding. The heat outside doesn't help :).

I bought a new 2015 Leaf SV today. Air conditioning would not cool during the test drive. Dealer said the fuse was removed so aux battery would not drain while in shipping. I had dealer check it out while car was detailed for delivery. It was taking a long time so I had them deliver to my house. Salesman arrived at 8:00 PM. I tried A/C and it did not cool. I sent the salesman back - refused delivery until fixed.

@Larry, Be careful after they claim to fix it. For me it seemed to work for couple of days only to be in same broken state after few days. They said it had a leak in some hosing.

Larry650 said:
I bought a new 2015 Leaf SV today. Air conditioning would not cool during the test drive. Dealer said the fuse was removed so aux battery would not drain while in shipping.

REALLY?? Now that's a new one :roll:

Re: my previous post on a new LEAF with A/C issues:

I called the sales manager this morning. He agreed that the A/C was intermittent on this particular car. He agreed on the phone to swap the car for another identically equipped LEAF. Since my wife and I have other commitments over the next few days, he agreed that he will stop the paperwork on this vehicle and we can meet this coming Sunday (9/13/2015) to accept a different vehicle, identically equipped.

This was a prompt and acceptable offer from the sales manager. I will post an update on the follow-through and delivery experience next week.

Here is the update on my A/C issue with the new LEAF:

I had refused to take delivery on a new 2015 LEAF with defective A/C last week. The sales manager stopped the sales contract, and swapped the car for an identically equipped one (he had 5 identical ones in stock). I was expecting a hassle, but everything went smoothly. All the paperwork was updated with the new VIN number. We inspected the new car very thoroughly, signed the delivery paperwork and drove it home last night. Very pleased with the new LEAF.

Larry650 said:
Here is the update on my A/C issue with the new LEAF:

I had refused to take delivery on a new 2015 LEAF with defective A/C last week. The sales manager stopped the sales contract, and swapped the car for an identically equipped one (he had 5 identical ones in stock). I was expecting a hassle, but everything went smoothly. All the paperwork was updated with the new VIN number. We inspected the new car very thoroughly, signed the delivery paperwork and drove it home last night. Very pleased with the new LEAF.
A/C work? :)

FWIW--another data point:
Over 11,000 miles and no issues with HVAC system in 2015 SL being driven around Phoenix. A/C seems to work as well as or better than 2011. Heat pump is much more efficient than resistance heater in 2011. Dry type resistance heater in 2015 heats much faster than circulating hot liquid system on 2011.

Gerry

Our 2015 had a similar problem. We took it in twice to no avail. They couldn't swap the car since they had already processed paperwork. Anyways they finally solved it. Turns out that the factory had put too much coolant in and it was causing the system to shut down. Not sure why they would do that, but it has worked ever since.

Firetrucker - Yes AC works well on the new LEAF. I saw the one we refused to take delivery on still in the shop 5 days later. They had not been able to fix it yet. Since the 2015 has a heat pump rather than a heater + A/C, I suspect the shop techs haven't sufficient training yet.

Just wanted to update the forum on the issues. My 3rd time to the dealer to solve it and they again kept it for a week. They are not able to figure out. Nissan finally accepted that its a lemon car and have agreed so far over the phone to replace it. I will update later how that process goes.

There is an outfit in New Jersey that sells reclaimed Leafs on eBay. They have had at least one 2015 recently that had the AC issue you mention. The title showed manufacturer buyback. We had AC issues on one of our 2011s and the 2014 as well. Both were remediated with o-rings or possibly the entire upper hose (I believe). I know there was a bulletin in those cases, and country of manufacture doesn't seem to matter since the 2011 originated in Japan and the 2014 in Tennessee.

Back