All EV Rally, BC2BC-2013, 1500 miles from Canada to Mexico

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
To register for the July 7 party at San Juan Capistrano, click here:

http://bc2bc-party-sjc.eventbrite.com

I'm bummed--we'll miss this party. Our itinerary has us near Santa Monica on the night of July 7th.

There has been so much planning involved in this trip (we're also driving the return via a different route), that changes this close to departure are not easily accomplished. Granted, much of the tight planning has to do with the fact that I will be traveling with a 5-year-old.

5. Participants are prohibited from prepositioned charging stations / battery swapping stations, however the event organizers may choose to do so for the event. Any event prepositioned charging power source or charging station must be available to all participants.

I am interested in learning more about this...

With the EVSEUpgrade now in hand, and a half dozen plug options, will we be disqualified for charging at, say, a park, or some random person's house if we need an emergency charge during the rally?

Also, more questions about charging at private residences. A few places that we are staying at (private residences) are excited for us to plug in while we visit/stay. I am actually looking forward to using some of those plugs on AC unit/dryer/electric stove receptacles, too. Surely, anybody else who wants to charge at the private residences would welcome too, of course.

BIGneutrino said:
5. Participants are prohibited from prepositioned charging stations / battery swapping stations, however the event organizers may choose to do so for the event. Any event prepositioned charging power source or charging station must be available to all participants.

I am interested in learning more about this...

With the EVSEUpgrade now in hand, and a half dozen plug options, will we be disqualified for charging at, say, a park, or some random person's house if we need an emergency charge during the rally?

Also, more questions about charging at private residences. A few places that we are staying at (private residences) are excited for us to plug in while we visit/stay. I am actually looking forward to using some of those plugs on AC unit/dryer/electric stove receptacles, too. Surely, anybody else who wants to charge at the private residences would welcome too, of course.

You can charge absolutely anyplace you want!!! You just can't buy/rent/borrow/use batteries, generators, preposition chargers or EVSE's along your route. The purpose of this rule is to prevent Tesla from showing up with a million dollars in equipment to make sure their car wins.

So, get power any way you can with what exists "in the wild"... you'll need it.

BIGneutrino said:
TonyWilliams said:

I'm bummed--we'll miss this party. Our itinerary has us near Santa Monica on the night of July 7th.

There has been so much planning involved in this trip (we're also driving the return via a different route), that changes this close to departure are not easily accomplished. Granted, much of the tight planning has to do with the fact that I will be traveling with a 5-year-old.
I signed up for the party but in looking at my plan I was over optimistic. I'll be pulling into Ventura after 4pm on the 7th with a LBW. I don't see any way to gain enough charge fast enough to reach the Los Angeles DC QC stations in time to make the party :(

Sorry.

Luft said:
BIGneutrino said:
TonyWilliams said:

I signed up for the party but in looking at my plan I was over optimistic. I'll be pulling into Ventura after 4pm on the 7th with a LBW. I don't see any way to gain enough charge fast enough to reach the Los Angeles DC QC stations in time to make the party :(

Sorry.

We may be right there with you! Actually, this just made me realize of the high probability of actually seeing other rally cars at random places along the way. This is just too much fun--thank you, Tony, for organizing this event!

BIGneutrino said:
Luft said:
I'll be pulling into Ventura after 4pm on the 7th with a LBW. I don't see any way to gain enough charge fast enough to reach the Los Angeles DC QC stations in time to make the party :(

Sorry.

We may be right there with you! Actually, this just made me realize of the high probability of actually seeing other rally cars at random places along the way. This is just too much fun--thank you, Tony, for organizing this event!

Its about 248 miles to the Residence Inn hotel from San Luis Obispo (Oxnard splits the difference), then 77 more to the border for 325 miles total. A 3.3kW charger would just be brutal!!

I know when I planned this, I was somewhat confident that a DC charger would be ready at Thousand Oaks. Vehicles D, E & H can do this without breaking a sweat. Vehicle E can drive 192 miles to the Hawthorne Supercharger, and then it's 135 miles to the border, and 77 miles back to Residence Inn, SJCap.

So, 404 total miles at 65mph is 6.2 hours, plus one hour charging, for 7.2 hours total time enroute. A 9am departure puts them at the hotel at a bit after 4pm. That's where that time came from.

For me, in Vehicle F, I need two hours driving to Oxnard, then 4.5 hours charging, then two hours driving, for 8.5 hours total to the hotel. A 9am departure at SLO means 5:30pm arrival at SJCap (without going to the border first).

Vehicle D can do SJCap (without the border) in 4 driving hours non-stop, so that is too easy. But, they could hit any of the several Roadster 70 amp chargers enroute for 4 hours of charging.

It's 230 miles to the Fashion Island Newport Beach 70 amp units (4 hours driving), then 194 round trip to the border and back to SJCap (3.5 hours driving), for a total 4+4+3.5=11.5 hours. This car needs to leave at 6am to hit the target party time and hit the border, or leave last and go straight to SJCap.

Now, vehicle C; A 6am departure means 3 hours to drive to Santa Barbara, a mere 92.3 miles away!! Then either 3.5 hours or 6.5 hours of recharging, is 6.5 to 9.5 hours total time. Then 97 miles to the DC CHAdeMO at Nissan Of Downtown L.A., 635 W. Washington Blvd, Los Angeles for another 3 hour drive, for 9.5 to 12.5 hours total time. Then one hour at the charger, and it's only 57 miles to SJCap, or another hour. So, 11.5 to 14.5 hours total time enroute for a LEAF.

The 6.6kW LEAF shows up at 5:30pm with me in vehicle F with very careful driving and 6am departure from SLO. The 3.3kW car.... not gunna make it.

Vehicle B, Mitsubishi iMiev, no way.

Vehicle A, BMW, can do it, but far later than the Rav4 EV.

ZERO motorcycle, no problemo.

BC2BC Participants:

Code:
A - (1) BMW ActiveE (J1772 only) - 90 - 110 mile range

B - (1) Mitsubishi iMiev (J1772 and CHAdeMO) - 70 - 85 mile range

C - (2) Nissan LEAF (J1772 and CHAdeMO) - 80 - 100 mile range

D - (1) Tesla Roadster (J1772 only) - 220 - 250 mile range

E - (3) Tesla Model S (J1772 and Supercharger) - 240 - 300 mile range

F - (1) Toyota Rav4 EV GenII (J1772 only) - 140 - 160 mile range

G - (1) PSIDA eCycle (iffy to show) - ???

H - (1) ZERO Motorcycle (J1772 only) - 200 mile range

TonyWilliams said:
BIGneutrino said:
Luft said:
I'll be pulling into Ventura after 4pm on the 7th with a LBW. I don't see any way to gain enough charge fast enough to reach the Los Angeles DC QC stations in time to make the party :(

Sorry.

Its about 248 miles to the Residence Inn hotel from San Luis Obispo (Oxnard splits the difference), then 77 more to the border for 325 miles total. A 3.3kW charger would just be brutal!!

I know when I planned this, I was somewhat confident that a DC charger would be ready at Thousand Oaks. Vehicles D, E & H can do this without breaking a sweat. Vehicle E can drive 192 miles to the Hawthorne Supercharger, and then it's 135 miles to the border, and 77 miles back to Residence Inn, SJCap.

So, 404 total miles at 65mph is 6.2 hours, plus one hour charging, for 7.2 hours total time enroute. A 9am departure puts them at the hotel at a bit after 4pm. That's where that time came from.

For me, in Vehicle F, I need two hours driving to Oxnard, then 4.5 hours charging, then two hours driving, for 8.5 hours total to the hotel. A 9am departure at SLO means 5:30pm arrival at SJCap (without going to the border first).

Vehicle D can do SJCap (without the border) in 4 driving hours non-stop, so that is too easy. But, they could hit any of the several Roadster 70 amp chargers enroute for 4 hours of charging.

It's 230 miles to the Fashion Island Newport Beach 70 amp units (4 hours driving), then 194 round trip to the border and back to SJCap (3.5 hours driving), for a total 4+4+3.5=11.5 hours. This car needs to leave at 6am to hit the target party time and hit the border, or leave last and go straight to SJCap.

Now, vehicle C; A 6am departure means 3 hours to drive to Santa Barbara, a mere 92.3 miles away!! Then either 3.5 hours or 6.5 hours of recharging, is 6.5 to 9.5 hours total time. Then 97 miles to the DC CHAdeMO at Nissan Of Downtown L.A., 635 W. Washington Blvd, Los Angeles for another 3 hour drive, for 9.5 to 12.5 hours total time. Then one hour at the charger, and it's only 57 miles to SJCap, or another hour. So, 11.5 to 14.5 hours total time enroute for a LEAF.

The 6.6kW LEAF shows up at 5:30pm with me in vehicle F with very careful driving and 6am departure from SLO. The 3.3kW car.... not gunna make it.

Vehicle B, Mitsubishi iMiev, no way.

Vehicle A, BMW, can do it, but far later than the Rav4 EV.

ZERO motorcycle, no problemo.

BC2BC Participants:

Code:
A - (1) BMW ActiveE (J1772 only) - 90 - 110 mile range

B - (1) Mitsubishi iMiev (J1772 and CHAdeMO) - 70 - 85 mile range

C - (2) Nissan LEAF (J1772 and CHAdeMO) - 80 - 100 mile range

D - (1) Tesla Roadster (J1772 only) - 220 - 250 mile range

E - (3) Tesla Model S (J1772 and Supercharger) - 240 - 300 mile range

F - (1) Toyota Rav4 EV GenII (J1772 only) - 140 - 160 mile range

G - (1) PSIDA eCycle (iffy to show) - ???

H - (1) ZERO Motorcycle (J1772 only) - 200 mile range

Tony, what road would you travel at 30 MPH? Not HWY 101?!

Oh, I'm not making speed suggestions!!! But, slow is range for an EV, and any time traveling faster than the speed with which it can be recharged is a waste... plan accordingly, and stay safe!

Powertech Labs Inc., a Subsidiary of BCHydro will host a Prequel Event to the BC2BC "All Electric Vehicle Rally", in addition to the Grand Opening of their new charging plaza and Tech Park. Located just 18 miles north of the BC2BC rally launch point at the Peace Arch State Park in Blaine, Washington, USA, the Prequel Event will commence at 11:30am on Friday, June 28, 2013 when Alec Tsang of BC Hydro will speak a few words about the Tech Park and its role in studying electric vehicle (EV) charging.

At 12:00am, Mayor Diane Watts will talk about the City of Surrey’s Sustainability Charter and how it pertains to EVs. At 12:30pm, a BBQ lunch is planned for about 100 people. I will be on hand to talk about electric cars and the upcoming rally that starts the following day, Saturday, June 29, 2013. The rally will start at the border of British Columbia (BC), Canada and the USA, and end at the border of Baja California (BC), Mexico and the USA nine days later, hence "BC2BC". About 12 all-electric vehicles will be participating along the West Coast Electric Highway.

Powertech is located at 12388 - 88th Avenue, Surrey, BC and now has four Level 2 - J1772 charging stations to recharge all modern day electric cars, in addition to the first public CHAdeMO DC Fast Charger in British Columbia. CHAdeMO can recharge cars like the Nissan LEAF and Mitsubishi iMiEV in about 30 minutes. Powertech is strategically located close to many businesses and services which may be useful to electric vehicle drivers while their car recharges, such as a nearby Walmart, tire and auto parts stores, shopping and dining.

Both rally vehicles and spectators to the rally launch event and concurrent International Golden Plug Ceremony will be able to use these charging stations on Friday and Saturday, June 28 and 29, 2013. The International Golden Plug Ceremony is an official celebration of the joining of the West Coast Electric Highway between Washington state and the province of British Columbia, scheduled between 11am and 1pm on Saturday, June 29, 2013, at the Peace Arch State Park in Blaine, Washington.

Powertech Labs Inc.
12388 - 88th Avenue, Surrey,
British Columbia, Canada, V3W 7R7

Phone: 604-590-6638
Web: http://www.powertechlabs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be advised that the Tumwater DC QC station is nonfunctional with a broken handle. I don't know if it will be repaired in time for use in the rally.

Tony, Do you have miles/KWh data for speeds less than 35 MPH? (Nissan 2011 LEAF, 70 F, level, no wind etc.) I'm looking for 15, 20, 25 and 30.

Thanks.

Luft said:
Tony, Do you have miles/KWh data for speeds less than 35 MPH? (Nissan 2011 LEAF, 70 F, level, no wind etc.) I'm looking for 15, 20, 25 and 30.

Thanks.

Well, it get's better and better all the way to about 8.5 miles/kWh at 12mph peak.

You could probably plot from the 35mph data at 6.3 miles/kWh, and get a reasonable estimate for the others speeds in between.

Spot is going to send us a couple more tracking devices, so folks will be able to track 3 cars total.

You'll be able to track me today through my arrival in Blaine, Washington at this URL:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0V4JEV6SMmgAbGhJRkxlQsuShMhhalQHv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the upcoming EV Rally, I have been thinking a lot about how to get the most from my LEAF. Remember the old “You get the best range at 38 MPH.” that came from Nissan. What they were telling us finally clicked!

It's not the best range but it gives you the shortest travel time if you need to recharge along the way using LVL 2 EVSE!

Let's use Tony's charts and a bit of additional information he has provided:

The greatest range occurs at about 12 MPH. You can go about 8.5 miles per KWh. For a new car with 21 KWh usable capacity that would give you a range of 178.5 miles. However it would take you 14.9 hours!

At 35 MPH 178.5 miles would only take you 5.1 hours but your range would only be 132 miles leaving 46.5 miles to go. At 35 MPH we will get 6.3 miles per KWh so we need to grab an additional 7.4 KWh somewhere along the way. With a 3.3 KW charger adding .256 KWh every 5 minutes that's going to take about 145 minutes of charging or 2.4 hours. So travel time plus recharge time will be 7.5 hours.

Now let's look at 40 MPH or 5.9 Miles per KWh:
At 40 MPH 178.5 miles would take you 4.5 hours. However your range would only be 121 miles leaving 57.5 miles to go. This will require 9.75 additional KWh in order to reach your destination. That will require about 190 minutes at level 2 for a total time of 7.67 hours.

45 MPH or 5.2 Miles / KWh
Travel time 3.97 hours.
Max range: 111 miles (67.5 short)
12.98 additional KWh needed to reach destination.
254 minutes of charging time required for a total of 8.2 hours.

And so it goes.

Luft said:
With the upcoming EV Rally, I have been thinking a lot about how to get the most from my LEAF. Remember the old “You get the best range at 38 MPH.” that came from Nissan. What they were telling us finally clicked!

The website goes live tomorrow... Read my blog post "How 2 Win @ BC 2 BC"

http://www.AllElectricVehicleRally.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

null-9.jpg

Back