android app for EV OBD via bluetooth ELM327 interface

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those cheap clone of ELM327 can't read CAN Bus. I use PLX Kiwi bluetooth ($90 on Amazon) and it works great. I added my own custom PIDs to display my Prius HV battery and other hybrid related information.

31927d1313976023-gen2-prius-custom-pids-torque-android-app-formulas-forcecharge.jpg

I made this custom PID for Leaf battery SOC. Can someone give this a try and see how it works?

Name: Battery State of Charge
ShortName: SOC
PID: 05BC
Equation: A
Min: 0
Max: 280
Unit: Num
Header: <Blank for Auto>

Looks VERY nice.
Question is, would it work on the LEAF, right?

Doesn't the Prius use OBD2 messages?

The LEAF uses CAN messages.
Will this device recognize them?

The LEAF has 3 CAN buses on the OBD connector.
What pins does this device read (CAN-High and CAN-Low)?

The LEAF CAN bus runs at a 500k bit rate.
Will this work at this higher-than-usual bus speed?

What is your Equation "A"?

I have an Android Tablet, but not Phone, so I do not know if I could even try it.

Where are you, and how do we get you and a LEAF together for a test?

I am in NY and don't know any Leaf owner here.

Prius has one (AFAIK) CAN bus 500k bps as well. There are multiple ECUs on it so the Header is used to filter it. Do you mean Leaf has 3 ECUs on one CAN bus?

I am not sure which pin but I just plug Kiwi into the OBD2 port and hide it. Android phone (or tablet) can connect to it via bluetooth. Torque app will use the custom PID information to display the data in multiple formats (graphs and various gauges).

For example:
31893d1313774688-gen2-prius-custom-pids-torque-android-app-formulas-new.jpg

31852d1313635732-gen2-prius-custom-pids-torque-android-app-formulas-power_graph.jpg

The A in the equation stands for the first byte of the response. It can go to Z and then AA to ZZ for those long responses with multi-frames. You can even read each bit like this {A:1}.

I briefly checked your spreadsheet and thought SOC is the first byte. Correct me if that's not accurate.

I shared Gen2 Prius custom PIDs on a Google spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkFZW7FRTY-tdHVEWFRPVElxdG9MRmtYaHUxM2E5NEE&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thread on PriusChat: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-technical-discussion/95370-gen2-prius-custom-pids-torque-android-app-formulas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The LEAF has 3 CAN buses (3 pairs of pins) on the OBD connector.

Each CAN bus has multiple "controller/modules" on it.

For SOC, and Pack Volts & Amps, we need the EV-CAN bus, on pins 13 (H) and 12 (L).

Normal cars typically use 6 and 14 for their CAN bus, I believe, and/or maybe 10 and 2 for a "J1850 Bus" (whatever that is).

More later, need to -> doctor now.
Hertz has rental LEAFs in NYC.

Later, Gary

The 4th CAN bus is the Quick Charge CAN bus, but it does not
appear on the OBD connector. It is just between the onboard charger,
which acts as the QC controller, and the QC port (to go to the
QC external DC charging machine), primarily to tell the QC what
current (amps) to deliver to the EV.

Back