Another month on Solar with a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzwibel

4.6 Kwh system
Over 1000 miles driven on the Leaf in the last month.
Electric bill for home - 74 cents with $15.68 in credits with SCE for excess generation

:lol:

Pretty great, ain't it? Our household uses very little power during the Peak hours (no A/C), so I've been getting credits of at least $50 each month during the summer. Current total credit for my net metering year, after month #6 is around $350.

It's wonderful! Since getting our Leaf in late April, PG&E has been paying us to drive everyday--now over 5K miles! This will actually be our first yearly true up where we will come out ahead for the whole year--didn't expect that on the year we added an EV!

I'm surprised how much difference the lower night-time cost has made. Can't wait for my true-up (next jan) to see if I am a net seller for the year. Shorter winter days may make a big difference.

With our utility, it isn't worth it to have any left over because they only pay back about .03/kW h while charging about .10-.12 so if there is going to be a surplus by the end of April, we'll use it up!

LEAFfan said:
With our utility, it isn't worth it to have any left over because they only pay back about .03/kW h while charging about .10-.12 so if there is going to be a surplus by the end of April, we'll use it up!
And I thought SoCal Edison was bad at $.04/kWh! Of course, even 4 cents is only a rumor because they have yet to finalize the value with the California PUC and then issue credits or checks. This, of course, only applies to straight Net Energy Metering. The TOU metering mentioned by other CA posters on this thread receive premium value for daytime excess production and pay off-peak prices for charging at night. Hence, with EVs they sometimes use more kWh and still get paid to do it. Tough situation! :)

HighDesertDriver said:
LEAFfan said:
And I thought SoCal Edison was bad at $.04/kWh! Of course, even 4 cents is only a rumor because they have yet to finalize the value with the California PUC and then issue credits or checks. This, of course, only applies to straight Net Energy Metering. The TOU metering mentioned by other CA posters on this thread receive premium value for daytime excess production and pay off-peak prices for charging at night. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
that's an interesting speculation . . . that SCE is going to credit premium rates for TOU. FWIW, the reason SCE hasn't trued up ANY of us who've been on PV since before legislation forced them to cough up some kind of fair market rate, is because SCE is fighting with the PUC, tooth and nail, to get the surplus amount payments per kWh as low as possible ... INCLUDING tiered amounts (for folks who use normal grid tied formulas) as well as on-peak TOU amounts. But it is nice to fantasize.

Our yearly surplus has typically been over 1,500 kWh's minimum. Since we don't even get so much as a thank you under the old system, we just load up the X-mas lights and run extra space heaters in the winter, and call it even (or as Regan used to call it - mutually assured distruction :twisted: ). Ain't NO way they're gona get our somthin' for nothin'. Besides, it's nice to splurge sometimes. When the payments finally start, I won't be the least bit surprised if (after paying for the connection/taxes) the check for our 1,500+ kWh is in the neighborhood of 15¢ - and from my experience with SCE, they'll likely 1099 you, whatever the amount.

but I'm not bitter!
:lol:
mzwibel said:
4.6 Kwh system
Over 1000 miles driven on the Leaf in the last month.
Electric bill for home - 74 cents with $15.68 in credits with SCE for excess generation
... and what part of California is SCE already posting kWh values?? I can't find any data on their website pages saying WHAT they're going to pay. Presuming $15.68 in credit - at the 4¢ per kWh rumor'ed amount, that'd mean you have a surplus of almost 400kWh's . . . . in just 2 months?!? That's especially incredible, because for many, May & June are typically the highest producing surplus months. You must have no refrigerator, no AC and run candles at night
;)

hill said:
HighDesertDriver said:
LEAFfan said:
And I thought SoCal Edison was bad at $.04/kWh! Of course, even 4 cents is only a rumor . . snip
that's an interesting speculation . . . that SCE is going to credit premium rates for TOU. FWIW, the reason SCE hasn't trued up ANY of us . . .
As one who also "gave" back 1500kWh each year for several years, my only expectation for legislated payment was a straight $/kWh for the annual net; i.e., no TOU or tiers. I do, however, hope that they pay something more than a basic $.04/kWh generation rate. Rumor attribution time: The $.04/kWh figure was given to me by the SCE NEM person who answered the phone when I called to discuss EV rate structures. I joked that since I still hadn't been paid for last year's surplus, perhaps they would consider putting the surplus kWh's back on my account where I could use them for our Leaf. She laughed and said that everything was locked until a decision was finalized, but their office had heard that it was solidifying on 4 cents. Until it comes out in a press release, I'll consider it a rumor and also fantasize that sanity (or equity?) sets in.

hill said:
... Since we don't even get so much as a thank you under the old system, we just load up the X-mas lights and run extra space heaters in the winter, and call it even ...
Yep, my neighbor feels the same way and does exactly the same thing.

Back