Any reason not to buy 20/21 62kwh Leaf (UK)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last question, which home charger should I get? I’ve an electrician coming next week to take a look who said he can get whatever I charger I’d like. He’s registered for the
. I need one to be compatible with cheap overnight tarifs from octopus or Edf.
Also, so I’m not taken for a ride, how much should I expect to pay for the charger and the fitting?
I have a smart meter already.

Thanks for any suggestions
Hi Liam
I installed a Zappi charger and they get excellent write-ups
With regard to which tarrif to go with , I think the choice is between Octopus and Eon.next - The Eon tarrif gives you off peak between midninght and 7:00am to 7 hours at 9.05pence per KwH makes charging a Tekna simple and cheap - think the Octopus tarrif is a little cheaper per KwH on off peak but gives you a shorter off-peak period to use it.
I bought a 2020 62KwH Tekna and its great so if you do the same I hope you enjoy it

I just thought of a reason to possibly not buy a Tesla: they’re designing some now with batteries inside the frame.
This means that when they die they CONNOT be easily replaced. So once the first set of batteries is dead it’s over. You can’t put in a new battery pack. They’re e-waste, but a car. Batteries dying is a when not an if. It does take several years but there are people here on their third battery. Very foolish of Tesla imho. Even Apple batteries are reblacABLE. It’s not super easy, but it can be done. They aren’t e-waste. Not all teslas DO have batteries inside the frame, so YMMV. The conventional wisdom ahas been though if you can afford a Tesla, buy one. They aren’t always affordable though. Also I’m not sure for how much longer that will be the conventional wisdom. AFAIK it goes Tesla, leaf, everything else. It may go Leaf, everything else, Tesla though, depending on whether you can remove the battery or not in the future though.

Last edited:
I just thought of a reason to possibly not buy a Tesla: they’re designing some now with batteries inside the frame.
This means that when they die they CONNOT be easily replaced. So once the first set of batteries is dead it’s over. You can’t put in a new battery pack. They’re e-waste, but a car. Batteries dying is a when not an if. It does take several years but there are people here on their third battery. Very foolish of Tesla imho. Even Apple batteries are reblacABLE. It’s not super easy, but it can be done. They aren’t e-waste. Not all teslas DO have batteries inside the frame, so YMMV. The conventional wisdom ahas been though if you can afford a Tesla, buy one. They aren’t always affordable though. Also I’m not sure for how much longer that will be the conventional wisdom. AFAIK it goes Tesla, leaf, everything else. It may go Leaf, everything else, Tesla though, depending on whether you can remove the battery or not in the future though.
Most EV battery failures can be traced to abuse (intentional or otherwise) such as frequent HVDC charging when the battery pack is hot. They also fail from accidents or other types of physical trauma and from good old poor manufacturing processes. Tesla's latest BMS algorithms, incredible Active Thermal Management system and their excellent manufacturing and quality control go far to prevent most failures. Recent Telemetrics data on all Model 3's sold since 2017 show those vehicles that have already reached 200,000 miles have done so with only 10-12% battery degradation. The degradation curve shows these battery packs will reach 250,000 miles with only 15% degradation and should then easily reach 300,000 miles with less than 25% degradation. Besides all this, Tesla's battery warranties are 120,000 miles and 150,000 miles depending upon model. So, for Teslas at least, worrying about replacing the battery is somewhat unwarranted. You'll likely never have to be concerned with this. However, for those that like to keep driving their vehicles until the wheels literally fall off, battery refurb in their old Tesla would likely be more of an issue than in something like the Nissan Leaf. From what I understand Tesla's new idea is to incorporate the battery pack into a structural member (essentially becoming the frame or a significant part of it). This structural member would be replaceable typically as a swap out of the entire pack. Present Tesla battery packs are already difficult to repair beyond the module level (down to the individual cell level). But it can still be done. There are a growing number of new service centers willing to do this sort of work. As well there are numerous non-OEM sources of batteries due to come on-line very soon.

Most EV battery failures can be traced to abuse (intentional or otherwise) such as frequent HVDC charging when the battery pack is hot. They also fail from accidents or other types of physical trauma and from good old poor manufacturing processes. Tesla's latest BMS algorithms, incredible Active Thermal Management system and their excellent manufacturing and quality control go far to prevent most failures. Recent Telemetrics data on all Model 3's sold since 2017 show those vehicles that have already reached 200,000 miles have done so with only 10-12% battery degradation. The degradation curve shows these battery packs will reach 250,000 miles with only 15% degradation and should then easily reach 300,000 miles with less than 25% degradation. Besides all this, Tesla's battery warranties are 120,000 miles and 150,000 miles depending upon model. So, for Teslas at least, worrying about replacing the battery is somewhat unwarranted. You'll likely never have to be concerned with this. However, for those that like to keep driving their vehicles until the wheels literally fall off, battery refurb in their old Tesla would likely be more of an issue than in something like the Nissan Leaf. From what I understand Tesla's new idea is to incorporate the battery pack into a structural member (essentially becoming the frame or a significant part of it). This structural member would be replaceable typically as a swap out of the entire pack. Present Tesla battery packs are already difficult to repair beyond the module level (down to the individual cell level). But it can still be done. There are a growing number of new service centers willing to do this sort of work. As well there are numerous non-OEM sources of batteries due to come on-line very soon.
Well, if the car wears out before the battery does that makes sense. A lot of Tesla owners do the 80%/20% thing so their batteries may last the life of the car. Most still won’t go all that long though. If one doesn’t pay attention to battery conservation I would suspect they will need a battery replacement at least once in their life. The problem of course is the battery on teslas is a lot more expensive.

Yes, tesla battery prices are expensive now but Id expect that to change as the industry grows.

Yes, tesla battery prices are expensive now but Id expect that to change as the industry grows.
Possibly. Battery tech is changing radically over time recently. There was a pretty long period where it basically didn’t though. Tesla has apparently gone for the gusto and did not invest in dry cell, glass or any of the other emerging systems but went instead for quantum batteries which WILL be full-life-of-the-car(and a couple hundred years beyond that) … if they pan out. Lithium panned out, but it took 50 years. LiFePO4 has almost enough charge cycles to make it the lifespan of a car. Which has been increasing. It used to be 5 years. Now it’s pushing 20. One needs, I think, a bit under 10,000 cycles to really do it. LiFePO4 has like 7000. (So there may be an argument for a bolt in the future) Most of the other chemistries are 3k or less. 80/20 can push that as high as 5k, but it’s still short. Which is why I’m thinking 1, maybe 2 battery swaps for the life of a Tesla. Sometimes they get worn out before the first one is needed though.

Last edited:
I read somewhere yesterday that CATL claims the price of lithium batteries has fallen 60% in the last 12 months. Even if they are exaggerating it suggests battery replacement costs won't be a big issue in 5 years time.

I read somewhere yesterday that CATL claims the price of lithium batteries has fallen 60% in the last 12 months. Even if they are exaggerating it suggests battery replacement costs won't be a big issue in 5 years time.
The price of lithium has dropped sharply. The primary cost of lithium batteries is the lithium and other difficult to acquire and expensive metals in the battery. This is why LiFePO4 batteries are cheaper. Iron is cheap. There is a cost for manufacture, but it is eclipsed by the cost of the materials. I suspect the drop in lithium prices due to reduced speculating has more to do with it.

Maybe.its hard to predict the future. In 5 years time there may be a totally different chemistry and no one will care about lithium, in which case lithium based batteries will be less expensive-unless they’re more expensive because a lot of people quit making them.

Back