Anybody Using the Android Nissan LEAF App?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pjoseph said:
nr56, Confirmed that it works on Android 4.0.2 as well.

The UI looks much cleaner than the stock Nissan app. Had called their customer support a couple of weeks ago and got the standard BS. They need to hire you. Best wishes..

Thanks for confirming this and for the complements!

Nikolay, Noticed this morning that the Update tab shows a timezone of MST*. We are in CST. The time itself is correct. Not seen this discrepancy before. Otherwise the app works seamlessly. Updates are quite quick, on the order of 30 seconds.

Nissan has e-mailed and Carwing-ed us recently about an available software update. Here is a partial list i could glean out.

1. Driver notification alerts (Vehicle ON, READY)
  2. Shift selector status
  3. Charging time estimate
  4. Distance to empty estimates
  5. Other information (including HVAC and diagnostics)

Hope you are planning on updating the app. These ongoing improvements are invaluable. Thanks..

*Edit: Timezone automagically corrected itself 2 hours later. Noticed the update button (circular arrows) at the bottom of the Update tab behave inconsistently. It does not appear to do anything but indeed refreshes itself on the next visit to the app.

Nice to hear the app is useful. The timezone is coming from the OS... so as you have noticed it takes some time to get the new timezone setting.
Looking forward to getting more data from the servers - it will be a great improvement, and I will update the app to present the available data.

pjoseph said:
Nikolay, Noticed this morning that the Update tab shows a timezone of MST*. We are in CST. The time itself is correct. Not seen this discrepancy before. Otherwise the app works seamlessly. Updates are quite quick, on the order of 30 seconds.

Nissan has e-mailed and Carwing-ed us recently about an available software update. Here is a partial list i could glean out.

1. Driver notification alerts (Vehicle ON, READY)
  2. Shift selector status
  3. Charging time estimate
  4. Distance to empty estimates
  5. Other information (including HVAC and diagnostics)

Hope you are planning on updating the app. These ongoing improvements are invaluable. Thanks..

*Edit: Timezone automagically corrected itself 2 hours later. Noticed the update button (circular arrows) at the bottom of the Update tab behave inconsistently. It does not appear to do anything but indeed refreshes itself on the next visit to the app.

Having problems with Android 3 or 4.
Search for "Open Wings" on the Android Market"
This version is free but does support climate controls.
Search for "Open Wings Plus" on the Android Market"
This version supports climate controls but costs $9.99.

Both versions worked perfectly on my ICS phone and tablet.

For those running ICS, I've found another Leaf app that is free and works very well. It's called Leaf Control, and while the gui isn't as polished as some others, it gives you your %soc, estimated driving range, and will let you start charging and turn climate control on and off. It's a great free alternative to the official Leaf app. I've confirmed it works on ICS phones and tablets.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...saWNhdGlvbnMubGF3c3lzdGVtcy5sZWFmY29udHJvbCJd

FYI; no major hardware producer has an ICS compat update yet. Samsung does not count since its Nexus 2 is a Google contracted phone.

supposed to be happening within the next 4-8 weeks

DaveinOlyWA said:
FYI; no major hardware producer has an ICS compat update yet. Samsung does not count since its Nexus 2 is a Google contracted phone.

Not true, both Samsung and HTC have begun rolling ICS out. Samsung to the GS2 and HTC to the Vivid.

DaveinOlyWA said:

Asus Transformer Prime since January.

Hi all... so I just got my Leaf a couple of days ago and have quite a few questions, but one I am working through now...
can you really not set the temperature of climate control via the app? What about the Open Wings one? Did not want to drop $10 just to test it...
What happens if my wife leaves the AC on, because it is hot in the PM when she drives the car, but then it gets chilly overnight? In the AM I want to heat it up a little before taking off. What happens?

Hi, sorry no, temp can't be set from any app.

Try 'LEAF Control' for free, ad free, full featured app with OpenCHARGEMAP support.

dcdivenut said:
What happens if my wife leaves the AC on, because it is hot in the PM when she drives the car, but then it gets chilly overnight? In the AM I want to heat it up a little before taking off. What happens?
Just to expound on jstone's response, the preset temp is 77 degrees. Unlike a traditional vehicle (well, not so unlike really--traditional vehicles really work the same way, we've just been trained to think that A/C means "cool") there is no "cool" or "warm" settings on the climate control. You just set the temperature and the car will either heat or cool as necessary.
So if overnight the cabin temp falls below 77, it will kick on the heater. If it's above 77, it will kick on the AC compressor.

nr56 said:
I've just updated market with the latest version of my app that supports the US as well as European Leafs and runs on android from versions 2.1 to 4.x (ics).

The free version is ad supported and has AC controls disabled,
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nikpix.leaf.openwings.free
Please try it first to make sure that it works for you and your device.

The plus version is $9.99 and has all functions enabled and no ads.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nikpix.leaf.openwings.paid

hey Nikolay... I am running ICS 4.0.3 on a Samsung SGH I727 (ATT Skyrocket) and I cannot seem to get your app to work. It worked on the same phone with GB. when I try to login it black screens then force closes. I did submit a report, but can i send you a log or something?
I love ICS so far and would hate to go back, but want to control my Leaf! :)

Personally, I wouldn't trust any unofficial apps that require you to pass your user credentials. Technically, whoever developed these apps would have access to your login information which contains your profile info (name, address, email and possibly even password that matches your email account).

IBELEAF said:
Personally, I wouldn't trust any unofficial apps that require you to pass your user credentials. Technically, whoever developed these apps would have access to your login information which contains your profile info (name, address, email and possibly even password that matches your email account).

Good point, but I use a system of tiered passwords with varying levels of security and this is what I consider pretty low level. finding out name and address is so easy these days that worrying about hiding it is close to pointless... just never use a password for something like this board or a leaf control app that you use anywhere else.

Technically you should have unique passwords for everything and a secure manager like LastPass, but I take a middle ground approach.

If you use LEAF Control on Android, would you like the full source code to peer review?

Similar issues arise with the various devices under development that interface with the car's ODB port / CANbus, are you sure that the device won't SEND commands to your car?

IBELEAF, I understand where you're coming from. For this app, I asked myself, "what's the worst that could happen if it really is malicious?" Someone can obtain my name, address, phone number, and email address, as well as my vehicle's VIN. They can also turn on my car's climate control and make it start charging. That all seemed pretty low risk to me, but I can understand if somebody's not willing to take that chance.

Back