Anyone banking their extra solar kWh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NEC reimburses at "avoided cost" of generation. That is $0.023 per kWh. Their retail charge to consumers is $0.05 for off-peak and $0.10 for on-peak. Thus, our paltry reimbursement is in line with what they charge others. The other factor is that NEC still has a $3.00 per kWh panel reimbursement and we had our system installed for $6.00 per kWh. Plus we got the 30% federal tax credit on the total cost, not just on our net cost. Thus, we went for almost the limit that NEC would reimburse and got our system for about 25 cents on the dollar. All things considered it should pay for itself in six years or less. We are fortunate in that many other electric utilities have slacked off on their reimbursements. We have displayed the LEAF at three local events and I always try to make the locals know that the NEC reimbursement is only good to the end of this year. In 2012 they will lower the rate, but it has not been set yet.

When we planned our system we didn't know if our switch to ultra high efficiency heat pumps would allow us to discontinue propane. It turns out that the two units heating capacity of 28,000 BTUs and 21,000 BTUs of A/C capacity were adequate to keep us comfortable for 2,000 sq. ft. Also, we didn't know at the time how many kWhs the LEAF would consume. As it turns out we erred on the side of excess.

Of course we did many other things that lowered our electrical consumption such as high efficiency dishwasher, clothes washer, CFL lighting, insulating window shade screens for winter use and some other things. I've put together a "pdf" file of all the things we did and will be happy to share that with anyone that is interested. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to send it to you. We're happy to do anything to lessen the looming energy crisis.

Also, it turns out, our climate is ideal for PV generation. We live in the mountains at about 7,000 ft., so we get smog free sunshine and the ambient temperature is relatively cool which increases the efficiency of the PV. They are generating at about 105% of rated output.

I encourage everyone that has not gone solar to check it out. Unfortunately many solar installation companies just look at past electric bills to gauge how large of a system you will need to supplant some percentage of your electrical usage. They ignore looking at your house as a total energy system and end up with putting the solar out of reach for some. The rule of thumb is that for every dollar you spend in conservation can save two dollars of generation capacity.

I hope this helps those that may be "sitting on the fence" as to whether to go solar or not.

People need to know that they don't have to cover 100% of their electrical usage. Even if they bought a 3KW system, it still would be a great investment and help with their electric bills. SRP's (Salt River Project's) rebate has gone from $3/W about three years ago to $1.50-$1.75/W now. It's still a super deal!

Special thread request:

When making reference to your electric utility company, could you please identify it beyond the familiar-to-you acronym?

SDG&E (San Diego Gas & Electric)

We put as many panels as our roof would hold, 3.8kW worth several years ago, knowing we'd want an EV, and would need the extra power. We're in Pacific Gas & Electric territory, on their E7 Time of Use rate, fairly favorable. But have been "donating" an excess of about 1400 kWh/year since 2007. State law changed so that we are now supposed to get paid for the excess, not certain how much, just decided by the CPUC, I heard, some pitiful number.
Looks like we won't be generating more than we draw after charging the Leaf for a year. But I'm happy with that, since the refund for the for the power is, I think worth much less than the money I save by avoiding the gas pumps. In a few more months of use, I should have a better idea of just how much sooner my PV panels will be paid off due to the Leaf. So far, in the sunniest, highest PV producing months, my array generates more than charging my Leaf can draw down. However it appears that will be more than offset in the winter, when my house already uses more than my panels can produce. We'll see.

Anyhow, net metering with Time of Use pricing works for us something like banking, which is probably the best we can hope for here in California, where the Investor-owned Utilities have captured their regulator, which in turn mostly do their bidding until forced into new work-arounds each time a consumer-friendly piece of legislation is passed.

solarchargeddriver said:
I'm really curious if anyone is doing what we are doing in Colorado Xcel Energy territory, and if any other utilities allow banking of home solar kWh over-production. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip

1. The size of your system and how long you've had it;
2. What state/city you live in who your utility is that allows solar kWh banking;
3. How many kWh you've banked so far;
4. Whether you have a LEAF already and are still solar banking, or, if, like us, you're waiting on one while banking. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
1. 7.1kWh AC rated
2. South O.C. in So Cal Edison's service area. (PV system installed about 2 1/2 years ago)
3. Averaging 2,000 kWh surplus yearly (over sized of the Leaf, but we usually charge at work)
4. see #3

In CA, legislation was drafted forcing ALL CA electric utility companies to pay for surplus. Problem is/was that the wording is/was so vague (regarding a reasonable compensation), that utility companies are now dragging their feet deciding how LITTLE they can get away with paying. The legislative history shows that the reason the law is/was enacted was because grid tied systems would often just waste the excess, rather than let it ride ... because many area utility companies would pay NOTHING ... or not even allow the surplus count as a credit. CA grid tied PV system owners ought to be regularly attending PUC hearings to make certain their utility companies are not permitted to pay virtually nothing, which in essence, would defeat the legislation. (ok ... jumping off the soap box now)
;)

It seems patently absurd that in many cases utilities are essentially encouraging customers to waste energy:

a) by not allowing indefinite banking of extra solar kWh if that's what customers prefer (use your extra kWh by a certain date or lose them!)
b) by paying solar customers so little for their extra kWh that customers are inclined to use those kWh hours even if they don't really need them.

This flies completely in the face of PR fronts that utilities put on in which they claim to be for better efficiency and conservation. It also directly contradicts active efforts on the part of utilities to strongly encourage their customers to be efficient/conserve.

Wow, pretty unbelievable!

Our electric utility publishes a monthly newsletter. When we got our LEAF we approached them to see if they'd like to do a story on it. I thought it would be a natural because it would encourage use of their product for recharging at the same time promoting all the benefits of EVs. No interest whatsoever. Go figure.

Back