Apple USB Power Adapter Takeback Program ends 10/18/13

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-takeback/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - ends on October 18th.

Only applicable if you want to replace any questionable/el-cheapo USB AC adapters w/Apple ones for $10 each (1 per iDevice). Apple's adapters do real well in the tests at http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. For those who haven't read the article, not all AC adapters, including USB ones are created equal.

Seems like the program is a YMMV as a former college roommate reported receiving an iPad 12 watt AC adapter for $9. The 12 watt adapters ship with iPad 3 (and maybe 4) vs. the 10 watt adapters that ship w/iPad 1 and 2.

Arrived @ Apple store about 30 mins before close being told I need to have an appointment w/the Genius Bar (all full for the night), even though the page says nothing about that. I didn't want to have to come again Friday after work and there weren't early enough appointments in the morning. They finally got a "Genius" to help me from the back.

I brought my iPad 2, iPhone 5 and 2 crappy adapters (5 watt and <5 watts, IIRC), hoping to get a 10 watt and a 5 watt. He gave me 2 5 watt adapters for $10/each + tax.

I asked if they only give 5 watt adapters. Him: Yes.

After I left the store, I noticed I had email receipts for these:
661-8125 Exchange, Power Adapter, 5W, USB, Green Dot
661-8127 Exchange, Power Adapter w/Duckhead, 10W, USB <-- didn't get one of these. Duckhead I assume refers to the detachable piece w/prongs that can be folded away and lets you swap w/other plug types.

Oh well...

Lesson learned: Might be better to make a Genius Bar appointment. If not, arrive well before they close.

Back