Are you sorry you bought a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
jkirkebo said:
This is of course because air resistance increases by the cube of speed.
Not quite. Air resistance (drag) increases by the square of velocity, approximately. Power (work/time) needed to overcome it increases by the cube of velocity.

You are of course correct and that was also my meaning. I have to chalk this error up to english not being my native language so I sometimes mix the words up :oops:
Luckily, the basic premise was still valid ;)

I will sell my Leaf as soon as another option is available.

Why?

Not because I don't love the electric car. Driving by the first gas station outside the dealership was magical. All I could think was that Gas Station = bathroom for the rest of the life of my car. Magical.

And I love the silent drive.

But I am furious about the how Nissan has built the data collection into the car. Every time I start the car, I am reminded that they want to steal my personal information. And every feature that I cannot access (like the iPhone app) because I won't let them reminds me that I did not buy a great car, I got into a long-term, one-sided relationship with a corporation. And it make me throw up a little in my mouth.

Do I get to see what they are collecting? No. Do I get to control it? No. Do I get to control with whom it is shared? No.

I know there are many who don't care about this. But I do. And this is my last Nissan.

harrier said:

Why?

Not because I don't love the electric car. Driving by the first gas station outside the dealership was magical. All I could think was that Gas Station = bathroom for the rest of the life of my car. Magical.

But I am furious about the how Nissan has built the data collection into the car. Every time I start the car, I am reminded that they want to steal my personal information. And every feature that I cannot access (like the iPhone app) because I won't let them reminds me that I did not buy a great car, I got into a long-term, one-sided relationship with a corporation. And it make me throw up a little in my mouth.

Do I get to see what they are collecting? No. Do I get to control it? No. Do I get to control with whom it is shared? No.

I know there are many who don't care about this. But I do. And this is my last Nissan.

Big Brother is no longer watching from afar and to be honest with ya, he has conned us into accepting his presence. now, if you have something to hide, this can be a concern. but i can assure you; changing cars will not change the security level of your personal information

You had best buy some dirt-cheap, off-brand car then as all higher-end cars from major manufacturers have a similar system of "data collection." And, yep, I don't care...

harrier said:
Do I get to see what they are collecting? No. Do I get to control it? No. Do I get to control with whom it is shared? No. I know there are many who don't care about this. But I do. And this is my last Nissan.

TomT said:
You had best buy some dirt-cheap, off-brand car then as all higher-end cars from major manufacturers have a similar system of "data collection." And, yep, I don't care...

harrier said:
Do I get to see what they are collecting? No. Do I get to control it? No. Do I get to control with whom it is shared? No. I know there are many who don't care about this. But I do. And this is my last Nissan.

oh i "care"... but then again, if i did, i need to stop reporting in on foursquare every time i go somewhere...

If it weren't for research I'd be less obliging. I am concerned about loss of privacy on many fronts, take your iphone for instance or any other cell phone, by owning and using one, you agree to have pretty much all your conversations potentially listened to and your call history is practically an open book.

I think Nissan is making one of the more reputable uses of the information. If after the 2 year mark after the EV project is unplugged, I still have to agree to a privacy statement, then i'll be pissed... for now it's no bigy.

harrier said:

Why?

harrier said:

Why?

It's for research (and has nothing to do with the EV project btw so don't expect it to go away in 2 years... )

You don't think Apple is tracking your every move with your iPhone for research purposes? Then you're living in a dream world.

Ditto with credit card companies every time you make a purchase.

If you don't want your information collected. Pay cash. Don't use the internet.

If you really want to be paranoid: http://www.internetevolution.com/author.asp?doc_id=233302&f_src=ieupdate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harrier said:

Hey let's help harrier out. Harrier wants out of the LEAF and Nissan never again--Okay--not a problem.

What have you got and how much do expect to give up to get away from the LEAF and Nissan?

Is it safe to ass u me that you will accept market value or less?
Is it safe to ass u me that you will reduce your asking price by the $7500 federal tax credit?
Is it safe to ass u me that you will all turn over to the purchaser any and all other tax or incentive credits?
Not interested in the Blink as that was a free item give to you, not by Nissan. (I believe Blink communicates with your Electrical Provider--you might want to get rid of it too.)

Of course there are few more things we need to know:
Who are you?
Where are you?
What type of payment/term expected, ie, cash, check etc?

Just to get the ball rolling we need a lot your information--checked you profile--it is blank---called Nissan and they have no idea who Harrier is---so far you are keeping things pretty secretive. If you will just provide answer's to the above we may be able to help you?

Let me get serious as all before this is just my dribble!

If you are gainfully employed or receiving any type of assistance in the United States of America--your driving habits being known by Nissan are the very least of your concerns. And one last thing, BEV's are new technology and the people that use them are usually pretty forward thinking--providing usage information to facilitate the acceptance and development of this innovation is a very small inconvience, in my most unhumble opinon.

Yes, I am sorry I bought because I am spending way too much time driving it :) Today I looked for an excuse to drive it to the nearest L2 charger just to see if how a remote re-charge would work - as if I don't have anything better to do...

I am a real person. And there is no way you called Nissan. If you had, you would find that Harrier is the name I used when ordering my Leaf in April of 2010!

I made a commitment to an electric car three years ago and Nissan delivered the first reasonably priced EV. I own it and will continue to drive it. There is no other real option right now (I don't have $110k for a Tesla!).

From my standpoint, I did not buy a cell phone with a contract. I bought a car for $40,000. I hope to get rebates to reduce this, but even with the rebates, it is a sizable wad of cash. I simply want to be able to operate the car without data being transmitted. And I would find it nice to be able to not have to decline a contract to share my information every time I turn on *my* car.

There is no legal issue involved. Yes, Nissan/CARWINGS may need permission to share every time, as there may be a different driver or owner. But they do not need permission to *not* share. A simple setting to permanently disable sharing would do a world of good. I was very surprised (and I am not alone) that I had to decline to give permission to use my data every time I drive the car.

++++++++++++++++

DaveinOlyWA, changing cars could easily change personal information. It may not change the NSA's approach to recording phone conversations and Internet traffic, but it would certainly change the ability to track where I drive! Ain't nobody was collecting vehicle data on my 1994 Isuzu Trooper.

harrier said:
I was very surprised (and I am not alone) that I had to decline to give permission to use my data every time I drive the car.
But the point is, you DON'T have to decline. Just ignore the question and go about driving the Leaf. Bring up whatever screen you want to see on the Navigation screen. Once I realized this, it became pretty much of a non-issue.

We all have our issues, amazing that we can get up out of bed everyday and face the world :)

Not trying to ridicule you, but you would be better off if you assume life is one gigantic joke from the beginning so try to smile more.

harrier said:

harrier said:
Ain't nobody was collecting vehicle data on my 1994 Isuzu Trooper.

How do you know? Are you sure the NSA didn't put a tracking device on it? They might have... you never know... they could be listening to everything you're saying right now....

cdub,

You do realize that I was answering a question "Are you sorry you bought a Leaf", right?

I have a legitimate complaint. It may not be shared by everyone. But there are significant lawsuits, primarily in Internet Marketing areas, around closely related issues, so I am not manufacturing my concern.

I am not asking you to agree with me, but I would ask that you not mock. The Leaf is still just a car, not a political party, and we don't all have to think identically to want this experiment to go as well as possible.

Bear in mind that I, like many others on this forum, have paid a premium to be able to say that I am not burning fossil fuel on my way to work. That is the impulse, I believe, that bonds us.

But because we all believe in electric does not mean that Nissan doesn't need real feedback on its decisions, nor that there will be disagreements on the experience and issues related to owning a Leaf.

Matt

Back