As a paying customer, why don't you get lost? !!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWhite

It's a long story, but the Embassy Suites in Franklin TN told me I am not welcome to charge my car at their hotel (Despite asking and being given permission).

The long story can be read here.

http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2014/08/23/embassy-suites-hospitality-turns-sour/

If you are visiting Nashville may suggest you stay and charge your EV at

Holiday Inn Vanderbilt.
Airport Marriott.
Lowes Vanderbilt.
Hilton Garden Inn
Hutton Hotel.
Sheraton Nashville Downtown.

You weren't staying at the hotel so I see no problem at all with him denying you usage... IMHO, they are the grievous party... It is this "I am entitled" attitude that makes many dislike EV owners...

TomT said:
You weren't staying at the hotel so I see no problem at all with him denying you usage... IMHO, they are the grievous party... It is this "I am entitled" attitude that makes many dislike EV owners...

Hey its their turf their rules. I get that.

I did explain I considered it a privilege, not a right or entitlement. Still puzzled why they won't speak to me after being Mr Nice guys.

I didn't realize buying food at the hotel would preclude me from using the EV spots.

"lunch once in a while" is not quite the same thing when you are there five days a week charging...

I think it is your employer that you should be hitting up for charging, not the hotel...

JPWhite said:
I didn't realize buying food at the hotel would preclude me from using the EV spots.

TomT said:
"lunch once in a while" is not quite the same thing when you are there five days a week charging...

I think it is your employer that you should be hitting up for charging, not the hotel...

What makes you think I haven't done that?

When I was with the city there was a situation where a handicapped person living in a facility nearby with pay parking, kept his small RV parked in one of two of a bank's handicapped spots. Eventually, the bank complained as this kept handicapped customers from using that spot. It could be that there were other EV customers trying to use the charging slots while you were working. It might have become a glaring problem with the Blink's naturally going on the blink from time to time.

It was good while it lasted... for you but maybe not so good from some travelers who were led by Embassy Suites to believe they would be able to charge overnight and then be on their way.

Turnover said:
When I was with the city there was a situation where a handicapped person living in a facility nearby with pay parking, kept his small RV parked in one of two of a bank's handicapped spots. Eventually, the bank complained as this kept handicapped customers from using that spot. It could be that there were other EV customers trying to use the charging slots while you were working. It might have become a glaring problem with the Blink's naturally going on the blink from time to time.

It was good while it lasted... for you but maybe not so good from some travelers who were led by Embassy Suites to believe they would be able to charge overnight and then be on their way.
can you blame the bank? the bank provides parking space for their customers not for pikers who live nearby and refuse to pay for their parking needs.
I have a similar story, a supermarket has 2 spots for handicap use, the supermarket is in a beach town and is always dealing with unauthorized parkers, anyhow a woman comes and parks in one of the handicap spots, and then goes into a business a block away from the supermarket. the supermarket has the woman's car towed for parking in their lot. the woman calls the police and demands that they do something about her missing car, that it was ok to park there because she has a handicap placard.
moral to the story? you just can't fix stupid

Turnover said:

I agree it was good while it lasted.

As for taking up EV spots such that overnight guests could not get a charge? I was very conscious not to overstep the bounds of reasonableness. I parked at 7am, and typically moved the car as soon as I go the charge complete email or at lunch if I was busy. EV spots are for charging, not parking. I think all of us at this forum know that much. I never stayed after check in time for the hotel.

FYI The manager who did give me permission said since they lost the contract with Nissan NA the Blinks rarely got used. I saw 2 LEAFS' and one Volt in the 6 weeks I was there, which matched up with what he said. The only time there was not a space open was when all the spots got ICED. I just went back after those guys checked out.

I would agree with the hotels right and position. You were luck to get any offer for extended charge and they owe you no explanation for revoking it. Many companies spend more than yours did on one night, it has nothing to do with extended charging in any way. To boycott their business for because a busy GM won't call, etc is nonsense. Move on and be glad you got what you did and allow them to run their business as they see fit.

Just read your whole story there. Interesting certainly. It does seem to me that the failure of the GM to be willing to discuss is a bit rude.

IF you were to escalate, the best option may well be to have your employer (or if you are an officer of the company authorized to negotiate such things do it yourself) contact the owners of the hotel with a formal letter proposing a financial arrangement between the businesses. This 'arrangement' could include recognition of your company's need to have meeting places (catered it sounds like) as well as the use of the charging station for "select employees".

If the spots are as sparsely utilized as you present, I don't see how anyone with the responsibility for the financial success of the hotel would turn down an opportunity to generate business. IF your company were indeed to spend $10K there even once a year that alone should provide enough incentive for them to allow a spot to be used.

Now, another thought is whether they consider themselves to be at unnecessary risk of liability for some reason. I'm sure strange things have happened in the courts regarding folks parking and walking in lots - limiting to active customers may help reduce their liability.

I agree with you JP.
The rude General Manager doesn't deserve anyone's business.
Has a right to change policy.
But rude to not talk with you about it.
Rude business people should get the appropriate response of refusing to do business with them.

maybe if you bought lunch every day, you would be a customer eligible for the blink usage.
sad for the gm not to give you a call back. perhaps you should try his email instead of his phone, as the email is less intrusive.

Of course, the manager did write you a personal note, of sorts, and considers the issue over. You had a good run, but i get that you want it to continue.

As an aside, how long does your company plan to stay in the space, is it temporary;( that was unclear to me)? I am wondering if you need a permanent solution.

thankyouOB said:
As an aside, how long does your company plan to stay in the space, is it temporary;( that was unclear to me)? I am wondering if you need a permanent solution.

The 'temporary' situation is for 2 years ( or maybe more) while a new HQ is built downtown Nashville. Winter will be the main issue. An 80% charge (which isn't 80%) at a QC won't be enough to get home.

I may just drive the Altima come the cold season.

smkettner said:
Good while it lasted and I think you are stretching the "paying customer" description.
And yes the GM is probably being a bit short sighted.

Agreed. However I was willing to reimburse for electric, parking etc.

I had a similar arrangement at our previous location. I estimated the amount of electric and paid a business owner on a regular basis. He made extra money, I got what I needed. All was good. I even gave him extra sandwich business when we had brown bag lunches.

Some people are easy to deal with, others not. The bigger the business the less likely they will want to enter into private deals outside of their regular line of business.

The problem I had was the original manager was too generous offering the service for free. Once you start paying it secures the deal better.

TimLee said:
I agree with you JP.
The rude General Manager doesn't deserve anyone's business.
Has a right to change policy.
Rude business people should get the appropriate response of refusing to do business with them.

Thanks Tim.

Interesting to see the responses and that those living in the South have a greater expectation of hospitality. Maybe the GM is from New York where such expectations don't exist ;-)

TimLee said:
I agree with you JP.

Rude? A personal note was written, a GM does not need to personally explain every common sense decision they make, this is why there are managers and others, it is their job. A GM that personally dealt with every issue like this they would never get their job done. The GM was not rude.

EVDRIVER said:
I would agree with the hotels right and position. You were luck to get any offer for extended charge and they owe you no explanation for revoking it. Many companies spend more than yours did on one night, it has nothing to do with extended charging in any way. To boycott their business for because a busy GM won't call, etc is nonsense. Move on and be glad you got what you did and allow them to run their business as they see fit.

He doesn't seem to be saying that the hotel owes him anything and in fact has offered to reimburse any and all expense despite having been given permission. Under those circumstances I think the GM is qute rude for not at least returning a reply. And of course the OP at this point doesn't owe the hotel anything either, including his future business or recommendation. So, all is as it should be and the GM gets to be a dick.

Nubo said:
EVDRIVER said:

He doesn't seem to be saying that the hotel owes him anything and in fact has offered to reimburse any and all expense despite having been given permission. Under those circumstances I think the GM is qute rude for not at least returning a reply. And of course the OP at this point doesn't owe the hotel anything either, including his future business or recommendation. So, all is as it should be and the GM gets to be a dick.

Offering money is beside the point and I doubt they care or would want their employees to do such a petty time consuming transaction. A GM has employees to deal with situations like this, a GM of a hotel is not manager or CS person or micro manager. Try to talk to the GM of any large business, there is a reason they have managers below them., they have bigger issues to deal with. This is a manager issue not a GM issue.

I like the note from the hotel. Not signed by anyone. Mgmt

Who is that? The GM, The Day Manager, Food Manager, Some random desk clerk?

Notes should have been singed by someone....

Back