Automatic Braking - Where is Nissan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps we can leave XeonPony's sterile view of the world aside and get back to discussing why Nissan is not one of the major manufacturers agreeing to make cars safer by making this techonology standard. Please don't continue feeding him.

XeonPony said:
I never claimed to be perfect, but I follow the concept of self responsibility, hence why I pay attention to what I do, as if I screw up and die then it is purely on me.
What if you screw up and other people die? It's great that you're willing to accept responsibility, but the outcome seems at least as important as knowing where to assign blame. Blame doesn't undo the damage.

What if you have a heart attack or a stroke? Wouldn't it be nice if your car stopped itself before taking out another family?

Nubo said:
What if you have a heart attack or a stroke? Wouldn't it be nice if your car stopped itself before taking out another family?

I was just thinking that would be a very acceptable reason to have these kinds of technologies in vehicles. The other reasons, mostly so people can focus even less on the control of their vehicle, are less acceptable. Though I'm willing to concede that some morons are going to put the rest of us at risk anyway, so we might as well put them in all cars.

A car crossed the dividing line a few days ago, heading in my direction. I see the driver smiling as he's reading whatever it was on his cell phone (yes, just like in that AT&T "It Can Wait" TV spot). What a douche. Fortunately he came to his senses when I lay on my horn. It would have been his loss if he'd hit our Tahoe with his Civic, and I wouldn't have shed a single tear.

Everyone knows you are having a troll war right? You can not debate with a troll they are right and you are wrong. Hates auto windows, now that's funny!

So, tell me how any of that will do you a lick of good when there is a vehicle barreling down your ass and you have no place to go to get out of it's way... You sound a lot like my brother who refuses to wear a seat belt because he is an excellent driver and thus will never be in an accident...

Sorry, but I believe that the reason that Nissan did not sign on has more to do with Nissan being cheap than anything else... And I also believe that they should be chastised for it.

XeonPony said:
All I can say is GOOD, sick of being treated like a moron, I know how to open a window! (I despise that damned garbage function of "auto windows" )

Be careful what you wish for... About a month ago up here, two people in a Denali died when they hit a Honda Civic. The occupants in the Honda survived... There are a lot of variables in any crash and bigger is not necessarily better...

mwalsh said:
It would have been his loss if he'd hit our Tahoe with his Civic, and I wouldn't have shed a single tear.

TomT said:
So, tell me how any of that will do you a lick of good when there is a vehicle barreling down your ass and you have no place to go to get out of it's way... You sound a lot like my brother who refuses to wear a seat belt because he is an excellent driver and thus will never be in an accident...

Sorry, but I believe that the reason that Nissan did not sign on has more to do with Nissan being cheap than anything else... And I also believe that they should be chastised for it.

XeonPony said:
All I can say is GOOD, sick of being treated like a moron, I know how to open a window! (I despise that damned garbage function of "auto windows" )

What do you do? Brace for impact (I assume you have the head rests set properly and such) then give the cops as accurate info as possible and let the system deal with the person who hit you.

Then petition for stronger punishments for incompetent drivers and more stringent training be for one can get their DL.

As for the seat belts his life, his choice, so long as he dares not complain (If he survives) for the injuries he gained by not wearing it.

My best defence is simply following the rules and being predictable and making sure all my markers work (It really isn't that hard to change a bulb people, same to actually check if they are working!)

I've got to believe that Xeon is primarily a troll as no one could intentionally be that simplistic... In any event, more fodder for my Foe List...

XeonPony said:
What do you do? Brace for impact (I assume you have the head rests set properly and such) then give the cops as accurate info as possible and let the system deal with the person who hit you.

Well you guessed wrong, since your psychic what are the lottery numbers for the up coming draw? Must be great to know every thing in such depth!

People live and die every day, that will not change but what we can prevent is having "big brother/Nanny" take over control of my machines!

Punish those at fault and leave every one ells alone!

TomT said:
I've got to believe that Xeon is primarily a troll as no one could intentionally be that simplistic... In any event, more fodder for my Foe List...
No, I think this is simply a case of ideology over rationality. Some people would rather risk dying than cede any kind of control to "big brother"--no matter how reasonable the objective and the means to achieve it. I assume he has deactivated the air bags in his vehicles.

No, the air bags do not take control over the vehicle, they only activate after the fact, a proper fail safe. A system that takes over your ability to maneuver is another story all together.

Most of this is complete OT. Start a new thread if you want to discuss this. We'll move over all the OT posts there.

XeonPony said:
No, the air bags do not take control over the vehicle, they only activate after the fact, a proper fail safe. A system that takes over your ability to maneuver is another story all together.

It's all in the details, right? An air bag could deploy prematurely and it certainly would affect your ability to maneuver. So they are set to deploy when the time for maneuvering is past. Hopefully an emergency braking system would have similar design and only come into play when any hope for an elegant recovery is lost. I think everyone would be against brakes that came on at the wrong time. So, we are all in agreement at this point and the step forward is to have comprehensive testing that proves the system is a safeguard without compromising the driver's ability to recover from a problem. There's no controversy here. It either works or it doesn't.

Nissan said in a statement that it was not asked to be included in the announcement, but planned to discuss the proposal with the NHTSA.

Did everyone criticizing Nissan read the whole article referenced in the original post? The above statement from the article indicates to me that Nissan is considering the issue.

Since I have experienced brake assist on the 2011 Leaf continue to apply full panic braking after I removed my foot from the brake pedal (when I needed to keep moving) and had stability control kick in on several vehicles when it was not needed, I am skeptical of these new robotic braking systems. Even air bags had safety problems. Once driver air bags were made mandatory in the early 1990's, instances of small stature drivers (primarily women) being killed in low speed accidents by inflating airbags were noted by investigators. Inflation forces were reduced in second generation airbags in the late 1990's to reduce the hazards during low speed accidents. I hope the robotic braking systems do not cause unforeseen issues.

Gerry

Back