Autonomie réel - Leaf 2013 / Real autonomy - Leaf 2013

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariolandry

Bonjour,

J'ai fait un essai routier dernièrement avec la Leaf 2013 et je suis resté déçu de l'autonomie réel.

Parcours : 90 km (Aller - 45 km, retour - 45 km)
Autoroute : 85 km (100 km/h)
A l'aller, parcours montant avec quelques pentes,
Au retour, l'inverse
Ville et boucle : 5 km (50 km/h)
Climat : chaud, pas de vent
Climatisation : Activé
Nombre de passager : 2
Charge initiale : 95 %
Évaluation de distance : 115 km

Après l'essais : 90 km de réalisé reste 31 km à l'évaluateur.

Mon but ultime est de faire un parcours de 125 km (120 km à 100 km/h) avec des conditions climatique variant de -40 à +40.
Toutes saison : Parfois venteux,
Hivers : -40 à 5, neige, etc.

Parcous assez plat dans les 2 sens.

Borne de recharge au départ et à l'arrivé (Délais de 8 heures entres les 2 déplacements)

J'aimerais savoir si quelqu'un réalise déjà cet exploit.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hello,

I did a test drive recently with the Leaf in 2013 and I was disappointed with the real autonomy.

Route: 90 km (Go - 45 km return - 45 km)
Highway: 85 km (100 km / h)
On the way, golf amount with few slopes
In return, the reverse
City and loop 5 km (50 km / h)
Climate: warm, no wind
Air conditioning: Activated
Number of passengers : 2
Initial charge: 95%
Evaluation of distance: 115 km

After the tests: 90 km done is 31 km evaluator.

My ultimate goal is to make a journey of 125 km (120 km to 100 km / h) with climatic condition ranging from -40 to +40.
All season: Sometimes windy
Winters: -40 to 5, snow, etc..

Parcous fairly flat in 2 directions.

Charging station departure and arrival (times 8:00 between 2 trips.)

I wonder if someone already achieved that.

mariolandry said:
My ultimate goal is to make a journey of 125 km (120 km to 100 km / h) with climatic condition ranging from -40 to +40.

My question is whether the 125 km is the distance for the full trip, or for half of the journey. Or, to state it another way, will the journey be:
1) 125 km to destination. Charge for 8 hours. 125 km return.
2) 62.5km to destination. Charge for 8 hours. 62.5km return.

If (1) I would strongly *not* recommend the LEAF and I don't know anyone who would. People do drive the LEAF 125 km and more on a single charge, but these trips are under favorable conditions. On days with -40 degrees with wind and snow 125km (77 miles) would be well over the range of the LEAF.

If (2) this can work, and some people drive that much daily in their LEAFs now. But with some caveats. First, you'll want a level 2 charger at both of the end points of your journey. You may not get enough charge from a level 1 on bad weather days or days where you need the LEAF for errands. Second, buy a 2013 get the SV or SL model. The earlier models, and the 2013 S model have the electric heater which uses a lot of battery on cold days - the SV and SL have a much more efficient heat pump. Third, learn about hypermiling techniques as on cold days you may find those useful for extending range.

mariolandry said:
If your car will spend any time at all, or if it might get stuck in, -40 degree weather, I would not purchase a LEAF. In fact, I'm not sure I would recommend ANY EV. If your battery gets that cold, it will either become unchargable or will drain the main battery trying to keep itself alive.

Where do you live?

cgaydos said:
mariolandry said:

My question is whether the 125 km is the distance for the full trip, or for half of the journey. Or, to state it another way, will the journey be:
1) 125 km to destination. Charge for 8 hours. 125 km return.

If (1) I would strongly *not* recommend the LEAF and I don't know anyone who would. People do drive the LEAF 125 km and more on a single charge, but these trips are under favorable conditions. On days with -40 degrees with wind and snow 125km (77 miles) would be well over the range of the LEAF.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Every day it's 125 km to go and 125 km to back... total of the day is 250 km, 5 days by week.

For the moment, no charging station available during the trip.

This made me a little nervous despite the advice of my dealer I would have no problem to go the distance.

So you confirm that it is risky to travel a distance of 125 km with a load in cold weather and even warmer weather.

RegGuheert said:
mariolandry said:
If your car will spend any time at all, or if it might get stuck in, -40 degree weather, I would not purchase a LEAF. In fact, I'm not sure I would recommend ANY EV. If your battery gets that cold, it will either become unchargable or will drain the main battery trying to keep itself alive.

Where do you live?

In Québec (Canada)

I need to go from Trois-Rivières to go Montréal (AM) and back Montréal to Trois-Rivières in PM.

mariolandry said:
So you confirm that it is risky to travel a distance of 125 km with a load in cold weather and even warmer weather.
I will state that at -40 degrees, you will NEVER be able to drive the LEAF 125 km on a single charge. If you do try to drive the LEAF in -40 degree weather, it will likely limit the available power to the motor. This happens at a battery temperature below -20C.

RegGuheert said:
mariolandry said:
I will state that at -40 degrees, you will NEVER be able to drive the LEAF 125 km on a single charge. If you do try to drive the LEAF in -40 degree weather, it will likely limit the available power to the motor. This happens at a battery temperature below -20C.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Course, -40 is a few days a year, normally the average winter temperature is -18 (more or less)

+1

Ne croyez pas le vendeur. Vous ne serez jamais voyager 125 km en hiver. Peut-être que dans l'avenir, si l'on met un QC mi-chemin entre les villes.

Do not believe the salesman. You will never travel 125 km in the winter. Perhaps in the future, if they put a QC halfway between the cities.

Bon chance

Lots of information here at MNL on very cold weather. Wikipedia seems to indicate that temperatures never get to -40C. However, there are some days of -30C which is still cold for the Leaf. I seem to remember that other Canadians reported 40 mi (65 km) was a good maximum in very cold weather. However, if you have another car, the possibility of telecommuting, or taking vacation during extreme weather, the Leaf may work for much of the year. However, I will agree with others, 75 mi is not possible at very cold temperature, and maybe three months of the year you will need to drive without heat. No thanks. That is not fun as a commute five days a week. I Here are some cold links showing other people's experience and advice:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11123&p=255938#p255938

mariolandry said:
Course, -40 is a few days a year, normally the average winter temperature is -18 (more or less)
Driving 125 km at 0C is not trivial on dry pavement and would be very difficult in snow, even with a brand-new battery. How often is it below 0C?

What horrible advice from that dealer! I understand that he wants to sell you a car, but couldn't he have sold you another model?

Unless you drive 30km/h, you'll never make it 125km when it's -20. Probably not even when it's -10.

RegGuheert said:
mariolandry said:
Driving 125 km at 0C is not trivial on dry pavement and would be very difficult in snow, even with a brand-new battery. How often is it below 0C?
And yet a Nissan exec on camera stated that Leaf's range is now up to 200 km! :roll:

I posted it at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=304180#p304180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; along w/a link to the video.

surfingslovak said:
You might want to ask this question in the Canadian Facebook group. Also, please see this blog post by Ricardo Borba, the first LEAF owner in Canada.

J'ai posé la question sur 3 forums facebook différents. Leaf canada, Leaf France et Leaf Britanique
C'est d'ailleur là que quelqu'un m'a conseiller ce forum d'utilisateurs de la Leaf

I asked 3 differents facebook forum. Leaf Canada, France and Leaf Leaf British
Btw is there someone advise me what forum users Leaf

RegGuheert said:
mariolandry said:

La saison d'hiver sévit pendant ±3 mois par année
The winter season is rife for ± 3 months per year

mariolandry said:
Mon but ultime est de faire un parcours de 125 km (120 km à 100 km/h) avec des conditions climatique variant de -40 à +40.
Toutes saison : Parfois venteux,
Hivers : -40 à 5, neige, etc.

Ce n'est pas réalisable. L'autonomie descend en flèche dans deux situations: 1) Quand tu es sur l'autoroute 2) Quand il fait très froid.

125km, c'est très faisable en roulant à 75km/h sur la 138 quand il fait 21 dehors, mais oublie cela sur la 40 à l'hiver.

Ce n'est pas le bon auto pour vous. Reviens dans trois ans.

This isn't posssible. Range drops steeply at highway speeds and when it's very cold. 125km is doable driving 75km/h on side roads when the weather is nice, but forget about it on the main highway in the winter.

The LEAF is not the right car for you at the present time.

To drive 125km one way on level terrain in the summer on a dry road with no wind is quite easy when the car is new.

Over time, the battery will degrade. But, the worst thing that will happen is that the car will have diminished range in cold weather, and even more diminished with snow, sleet, ice, and wind.

Then, if you actually use the heater, you could easily use 30% of your entire range.

Sorry, but the LEAF is not for you. I would recommend the Tesla Model S, or the Toyota Rav4 EV. You would have to import the Toyota from California, although it is actually assembled in Woodstock, Ontario.

TonyWilliams said:
Then, if you actually use the heater, you could easily use 30% of your entire range.

Agree with everything you posted except to note that with the 2013 SV or SL with heat pump the energy cost of heating the car is supposed to be a lot lower.

OTOH I am very pleased with the efficiency of the A/C.

mariolandry said:
RegGuheert said:
mariolandry said:

La saison d'hiver sévit pendant ±3 mois par année
The winter season is rife for ± 3 months per year

Mario, not sure you could do MTL-3R by very cold weather on a single charge. If you use HWY-20, you can always top up in Drummondville at one of the 30amps chargers from the Electric Circuit if you're missing some km's. By -10°C, you could squeeze it. Or in Joliette, they also have chargers there. But having to top up like that every day of the week, even just for one hour, will likely drive you mad.

Downtown MTL to downtown 3R is 138 km. Unless you live on the east side of the island, and cut 20 km, it's not possible while driving over 80 km/h.

cgaydos said:
TonyWilliams said:

Agree with everything you posted except to note that with the 2013 SV or SL with heat pump the energy cost of heating the car is supposed to be a lot lower.

Not at the temperatures he was talking about.

Back