"Back" button on the nav panel not working!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sytrilogy

I just bought a 2012 Leaf SL. I found that the back button on the touch panel does nothing. The local dealer says I have to replace the whole radio which he calls the TLU (Great! just what we need, another three-letter abbreviation.) The radio will cost $300 - $400 plus installation. I discovered this when I went to look at "timers". A previous owner set the % charge to 100%. I wanted to change it to 80%. No can do! You have to press the "back" button to be able to save the setting change. The main battery will have to be replaced sometime, but the rest of the car seems near perfect. I put a $150 deposit on the Fenix Power Leaf Solution

The 12-volt battery will be replaced in two days. I'm told this MIGHT reset the TLU and solve the button problem. I had the car evaluated for $150 at a Nissan dealer near where I bought the car. The battery tested at 11.3 volts and that can cause all kinds of problems, so I'm told. I don't think I need to have a Nissan dealer supply and install the battery UNLESS there is something about the LEAF that makes that operation special. I have changed a car battery before but not in a Leaf.

I hope I posted this as I should have. I found nothing similar. Just joined.

Thanks, folks

Yes, the 12 volt battery needs to be replaced by someone, ASAP. The only special consideration is that it needs to be fully charged before installation, not installed with a low storage charge as is often done. The rest voltage should then be checked every few months, and do NOT leave the car plugged in for many hours after charging ends - that will drain the 12 volt battery.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but unless you have very modest range needs - no more than 45 miles in nice weather, and half that if your Winters are frigid - or unless the main battery has been replaced with a newer one, you may want to reconsider driving a 2012 Leaf. The following guide will show you why:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030

Hi Leftiebiker.

Thanks for the reply. I certainly don't take it as a wet blanket response at all. I know the battery is duff, and I am working on a replacement now. It's not available yet. Fenix Power is dubbing it Battery as a Service - one way to eliminate the problem. I've placed a totally refundable small deposit. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area so no winter driving to cut the range further. It is the second car in this two-person household. I can spend a lot of time studying all the manuals that came with it since I'm retired.

Thanks much for the 12-volt battery tips. I have slim hopes that the new battery will solve the TLU problem. I have not read the info in the link you put in your response but will as soon as I post this.

Thanks again,

Michael

sytrilogy said:
Hi Leftiebiker.

Thanks for the reply. I certainly don't take it as a wet blanket response at all. I know the battery is duff, and I am working on a replacement now. It's not available yet. Fenix Power is dubbing it Battery as a Service - one way to eliminate the problem. I've placed a totally refundable small deposit. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area so no winter driving to cut the range further. It is the second car in this two-person household. I can spend a lot of time studying all the manuals that came with it since I'm retired.

Thanks much for the 12-volt battery tips. I have slim hopes that the new battery will solve the TLU problem. I have not read the info in the link you put in your response but will as soon as I post this.

Thanks again,

Michael

I've not heard of the back button failing in that way. Hopefully the 12V resolves it, but if not, you basically have to replace the nav unit, which is generally extremely expensive. :( Maybe you can find one from a Junkyard?

I would not bank on Fenix Power. They've been announcing the product for a while but have yet to show significant visible forward progress. They also seem to underestimate the engineering difficulty involved, although they apparently have a couple test cars.

If you want to get your battery fixed, my recommendation would be to consider a new one for $5500 from Nissan.

If you want to get your battery fixed, my recommendation would be to consider a new one for $5500 from Nissan.

I second this. The replacement battery would have a much better chemistry than the one in your car, and would last better - although in Florida maybe not as long as you'd like. The price was just reduced recently, from about $8500.

Lothsahn said:
I've not heard of the back button failing in that way. Hopefully the 12V resolves it, but if not, you basically have to replace the nav unit, which is generally extremely expensive. :( Maybe you can find one from a Junkyard?

Scratch that. You said they quoted you $300-400? That's not too bad. I've heard of them being upwards of $2k.

Thanks much for your last both of you. I would have choked on $2,000 for the radio/command station. 300-400 for it plus installation and I would have been more than sick with regret. I'm not out of the woods with this rehab yet.

Drove the Leaf to a Bj's not too far away to purchase a set of 4 new tires for it, get an appointment for installation.and then drone back to another tire and battery center near my home and bought a Duracell 12V that I hope will fix the back button situation; but even if it doesn't, the replacement absolutely was necessary. Got my first oral warning about the battery when I was very close to home and parked in the driveway with 9 miles of range left. I'll let you know what improvements I observe as a result of the 12V battery upgrade in 21 hours or so.

I have ordered a 220V/110V Duosida portable charger that has great reviews along with a splitter cable so that I won't wear out the 220V drier socket, and I don't have to hire an electrician for its use. I have a 220V clothes drier in the garage. Now for the garage reorg, so I can park the Leaf inside for charging, Ugh. I am buying an adapter for it so that I can use it with a 110V outlet if I have to.

If the car's main battery doesn't degrade very quickly, I can live with this situation for quite a little while. I won't be spending $5,000 for a replacement battery for the car. I can wait for a better solution. I am nothing if not patient about situations like this.

Thanks, Guys

I have escaped the need to replace the TLU by replacing the 12-volt battery. It seems the unit did a hard reset and now the "back button" works on the Nav panel. I have not tested much else using the TLU. I have spent a fair amount of money on my 2012 Leaf at the local Nissan dealership which I believe is treating me well. I will monitor how the degraded main battery works. I have charged it only twice so far, and it seems the miles that give me with a full charge has gone up a bit to 51 miles. I do not intend to charge to 80% because I think the range would be too greatly reduced.

I have read and heard from Nissan that they can replace the battery with a one that has been improved over the original for $5400 and that they will give a credit of $1,000 for the old one. That will have to wait a while. In the meantime, I'm watching what happens with the promises of Fenix Power. Their program of "Battery as a service" sounds very interesting if it comes to fruition. I'm rooting for them.

Back