Bad Power Distribution Module? Check In Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbcoop said:
Issue started today on my 2 week, 2 day old Leaf with 780 miles. Charged fine on 110. Plugged into Blink charger at office, and kept shutting off after a few minutes. Another Leaf owner at office saw my struggles and mentioned his PDM had to be changed along with 3-4 more at our location (we have about 50 owners at our office).

Called dealer, and he seemed to think it was the charger until I told him I tried 4 different ones and had the same issue with each.

Taking it in tomorrow night, because they have no rentals, another item that does not give me a warm fuzzy.
50 LEAF owner at your office? where the heck do you work??

I guess 780 miles is the lowest mileage I've seen so far (unless I missed a post here).

Work at a large corporate office in downtown Atlanta. :) over 3,000 employees. Also the state is offering a very, very nice tax credit, even with a lease, so many people are taking advantage of very low lease deals.

PDM? well, just dropped mine off to the Hawaii dealership and awaiting the diagnostics. At less than 2k miles, I could not get a charge going from home. The icon showing was the Excalamation point over the auto outline ... EV notice 2-16 of the handbook ... That is some form of BS to say that the part is backordered ... with the surge of recent sales in the US, it will be a nightmare when this peaks ... There should be a patch to download from the CarWings ... More later as the shop has yet to call back the diagnostics ...

Just got my LEAF completed in the shop. Just have to go pickup tonight (Hawaii) ... Error codes were previous issues and not "present" in the computer ... the charging setting was set to "LOW" and reason for the inability to get a complete charge. The module has been reset ... Prior error codes were B29C1, P316C, V3170 ... nothing of a P312A like someone else ... the most common portion for most of us was the charging error. Roughly about 2 months into ownership and not mileage or level type charging ... More later ... want to go read the service sheet.

Aloha

15 days since I took my Leaf in and they still can't get their stories straight. Day 2 I was told it was the PDM and the engineers were ordering and it would arrive in 2 days. LOL. 15 days later and they say the ETA is July 3rd. Not getting my hopes up. I received a lot of disinformation re: whether is was a software issue - that they know about and are going to release a patch, or if it were really a parts issue. This string of comments makes me think they just don't have enough parts to replace them all.

BTW, California Lemon Laws are after 6 weeks, whether you own or lease it.

At least I'm getting a free rental and free gas. If you aren't getting free gas, call the Nissan EV customer service and they'll take care of it. But I really miss my carpool lane stickers. Without them, it adds considerable time to my commute.

jduvy said:
15 days since I took my Leaf in and they still can't get their stories straight. Day 2 I was told it was the PDM and the engineers were ordering and it would arrive in 2 days. LOL. 15 days later and they say the ETA is July 3rd. Not getting my hopes up. I received a lot of disinformation re: whether is was a software issue - that they know about and are going to release a patch, or if it were really a parts issue. This string of comments makes me think they just don't have enough parts to replace them all.

BTW, California Lemon Laws are after 6 weeks, whether you own or lease it.

At least I'm getting a free rental and free gas. If you aren't getting free gas, call the Nissan EV customer service and they'll take care of it. But I really miss my carpool lane stickers. Without them, it adds considerable time to my commute.
There are several rental agencies which offer the RAV4 EV. Being in CA, I'd give that a try, just in case there is one in your area ;)

Good to know about the free gas ... knew about the rental ... but is the gas always, or just for those long days that the car is in the shop? What errors were used to say a new PDM was needed? Mine was just reset and just going now to pick it up. My codes were B29C1, P316C, B3170 ... Will find out tonight when the programmed charge starts @ 11pm.

I thought i was getting free gas too but i got denied. My wife has thyroid cancer and while at stanford next week ill be going out to check if my lv2 shut off or not or take a gasser just for that trip .

For some reason i take pride knowing my range rover is not sucking 90 bucks every 4 to 5 days out of my pocket.

99 cent gallons are long gone but i still remember the joy. And i think that is what powers my need to drive ev.

On a side note

My car has been able to charge fully with 110 volt but I'm about 2 hours late to work waiting for a decent charge.

I wish we had a recourse of action to get my time and days of car out of service refunded from my lease payment.

Techie0212 said:
Good to know about the free gas ... knew about the rental ... but is the gas always, or just for those long days that the car is in the shop? What errors were used to say a new PDM was needed? Mine was just reset and just going now to pick it up. My codes were B29C1, P316C, B3170 ... Will find out tonight when the programmed charge starts @ 11pm.

Techie,
Check my post wrt the replacement of my PDM a couple pages back. Your codes look exactly like mine.

Phatcat73 said:
Interesting thread. I had this happen to me for the first time on a chargepoint yesterday. I have over 5k miles and probably one of the earliest 2013s. Yesterday was fairly warm and humid, about 80 degrees and I drove about 35 miles at highways speeds reaching 80mph, from an 80% charge. By the time I pulled to the chargepoint I had 27% remaining. I let it sit for 2 hours on the chargepoint, but found it stopped charging about an hour later. When I drove off I had a yellow warning light that disappeared after another reboot. Normally I charge my car late at night/early morning, when it's cooler and never had this issue prior.

I also received an email from Chargepoint as well:

Dear Mark....,

We wanted to let you know that your vehicle, which is charging at EDWARD HOSPITAL / NAPERVILLE, is drawing very little power. Typically, this means it's fully charged, however, it may also indicate that your vehicle is configured for delayed charging. Your vehicle has accepted 4.97 kWh of electricity and has been plugged in for 01:05:10 (hh:mm:ss).

Thank you,
Team ChargePoint

My car was charged to approx 50% when it shutoff.

Today it's supposed to hit 90 degrees. I may have to do a test to confirm.

Must not be my PDM. Took it into dealer and they couldn't pull any codes and I also received the following update from Chargepoint:

"In looking thru the meter log for the station that you were connected to on June 22, I can see that your vehicle was only consuming 1.633609 kWh despite the station delivering 6.543 kWh.

The vehicle battery manages the charging speed to optimize the life of the battery. In general, the battery charges faster when it's 0 - 50% full/empty. The battery charging speed slows down after the battery is 50% full. Many vehicles, if set on 'long life' mode, stop charging completely at 80-85% full.

That said, the log also reveals that subsequent vehicle charging sessions were also drawing energy much lower than the station capacity. I will contact the station owner and ask that an electrician examine the breakers and power levels for this station. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

My wife picked up the car Wednesday after it being in the shop for 11 days. Worked fine for 2 days, and now it is back to slow charging and noise when charging it off 110. She is going to drop it off today after work and see what they say. I'm away on a business trip, so I can't do anything until Friday.

Add me to the count of people having this problem. It started for my 2013 S when the weather got seriously hot here in South Florida, just north of West Palm Beach. Charging was interrupted, but would resume if I plugged it back in. I only charge on the OEM trickle charger (110V), I don't own a 240V EVSE.

It's in the shop now (Napleton Nissan) and I'm being told 4 days, though I don't think they've tried to order the part yet. They may get a surprise if Nissan tells them it's a 15 day wait! They gave me a rental car, but I'll ask them to ask Nissan to cover my gas costs too, if its going to be a long wait.

What a disappointment that our "super-reliable / so few moving parts / what could go wrong with it?" cars have a problem. I'm glad, though, that I'm not the only one and hopefully that will help Nissan guide the technician in fixing it.

I leased the car in March 2013 and it has 2000 miles on it.

Interestingly, the technician told ME that Nissan told HIM that the problem would not occur if I charged on 240; that this problems was restricted to the 110 side of the PDM. From reading the comments here, I see that's incorrect, or just part of the story.

I just received a call from corporate leaf customer support and was told I should be getting a call from my dealer asking to bring my leaf back to have the pdm replaced with a new part .. my 110 lv1 has worked fine for the last few days . I hope I'm not waisting my time and my new part isn't changed in design and be back to square one .. will see

Took car to dealer. Had to convince them it was not a charger issue. We plugged it into a 'Nissan' charger. While I was completing paperwork for rental, got notice that it had stopped charging. Went back to Tech! He looked at it, and was stumped. Said he never say that. I left the car and came home in a Cube. Ridiculous car. I have gotten 2 more notices about charging stopping. Just checked CarWings and it is only at 5 bars.

I hope they realize there is a REAL problem here. I have only had the car since June 8. I love my Leaf. Just don't want any more issues!!,

mbcoop said:
Took car to dealer. Had to convince them it was not a charger issue. We plugged it into a 'Nissan' charger.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Just to be clear, the on-board charger on the '13 Leafs is under the hood and part of the PDM.

The "trickle" charge cord set w/J1772 handle that comes w/the unit and more permanent ones like http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/aerovironment-evse-rs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are EVSEs.

It could be an issue w/the on-board charger. See diagram at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Came home today to a nice little package and hand written letter from Nissan Marketing.
1016210_10151717872916257_1955908946_n.jpg

Just an update - Tomorrow June 28th marks 3 weeks in the shop. Latest date given to me is that I may not receive the car back until July 17.

Back