battery and power steering warnings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfl

Hello,

I got some strange errors today (all within 5 min):
- turn leaf on --> red battery warning, cannot start, so turn leaf off
- turn leaf on --> again red battery warning, so turn leaf off
- turn leaf on --> no error, I can drive out of the garage. Turn leaf off
- turn leaf on --> Power Steering warning, turn leaf off
- turn leaf on multiple times, no more warnings since (and driven about 10 mi since then)

Has anybody seen anything similar?

Thanks, Claudio

The PS Power Steering indicator (and 12v battery indicator) always come on in accessory mode. I don't know why they see fit to flash the [!] triangle for this, but it's documented.

Check that you're holding the brake, since that's the most common cause of what you see.. accidentally going into ACC instead of Ready.

I went through a sequence like that. I finally decided I must have been too light on the brake. I'm watching for it happening again, though.

I am sure that I pressed the break pedal (otherwise you have to press the on button twice to turn on) and I did wait until the leaf was fully on, those warning/error lights did not go off at the end (as they usually do). At the moment the only explanation I have is that there was a temporary computer/sensor glitch? Especially the power steering warning is strange.

Thanks, Claudio

Pressing the start button twice (no brake) only turns on the computer. The car is not ready to drive! The brake must be depressed when pushing the start button to be ready to drive. Hope you don't have a problem with the car.

Silly question, but I was just out in my 2013, in 4F weather, setting the controls for my housemate to drive the car later today. The car was plugged in and charging, and I had it booted up. Is the "p/s" light normally on if plugged in, and the power steering disabled? I'm not usually in that situation (booted up but plugged in).

The 12V battery was connected to a maintainer until the car was plugged in to charge. I think the car just disables the P/S when it's plugged in, to let drivers know they have forgotten something important if they decide to drive off.

LeftieBiker said:
... I think the car just disables the P/S when it's plugged in, to let drivers know they have forgotten something important if they decide to drive off.
It definitely does that when using DCQC.
Once a DCQC is started you can put your foot on the brake and push Start and everything works(heat, AC) except the power steering.
A few times I didn't straighten the wheels and it is near impossible to turn the steering wheel with the LEAF not moving and no power steering.

I think the behaviour is similar on L2, I would need to double check to be sure.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
cfl, check your 12V battery.
+10.
Were likely just lucky it started on additional Start attempt.
And LEAF does a poor job of bringing the 12V back to properly charged.
So if it failed to start once, you have great risk it will strand you or that you might experience bad dangerous braking behaviour.
Best to get the 12V properly charged with a battery maintainer.
And then have the 12V capacity tested at dealer or any automotive parts store.

It may be time for new 12V battery.
The 12V is covered for free replacement under the three year, 36,000 mile warranty.

LeftieBiker said:
Is the "p/s" light normally on if plugged in, and the power steering disabled? I'm not usually in that situation (booted up but plugged in).
Perfectly normal behavior for the car when plugged in. I do this a lot. No need to power the steering when you are going nowhere (i.e. when plugged in). I sometimes sit this way for longer stretches to preheat the car (with the aid of the 240 volts from the EVSE) or just for a couple minutes to set the timers.

P.S. I think its fun to see old threads revived like this one with actually a very different issue...

DNAinaGoodWay said:
cfl, check your 12V battery.
Since it's been over 3.5 years since that post, I'm guessing the problem, whatever it was, has either been fixed or has not been a major issue for the OP.

Back