Battery Standby Losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knowing LAX, you'd probably come back to a missing 120v charger and a parking ticket!

I'm betting the Leaf is the easiest car EVER to jump-start. A pack of D cells and some speaker wire could probably do it.

If they wanted to get by with a smaller 12v battery, it could monitor the 12v battery charge, and periodically (as in weekly) click on the Big Boys to bump it back up. Then they could get by with a much smaller (NiMH?) 12v battery pack.

I mean, seriously, 40+ pounds of LEAD in a green car.. that has no business being there.

GroundLoop said:
I'm betting the Leaf is the easiest car EVER to jump-start. A pack of D cells and some speaker wire could probably do it.
For those counting, you'll need 11 NiCad batteries connected in series to get the proper nominal voltage (13.2 volts, close enough to 13.8). :D

Instead of the lead acid 12vt up front, what about it with the Odyssey Drycell PC680, 680 amps, 3.11" x 7.27" x 6.67", 15.4 lbs, mounted upright or flat on it's side. Costs about $134.00. Car racers use this one.

Probably overkill. You don't need 680 amps.

We won't know the standby draw on the Leaf until someone measures it, but that's the only thing that could require a larger capacity battery. It sure isn't CCA. :)

I'm looking at the Odyssey PC545.

You'd have to do something about the mounting bracket, and possibly the big battery terminal clamps (more weight savings!).

Back