Bay Area EVSE installation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
If I were you I would skip the permit since you already should have had one for the RAV install, this is like changing an outlet because you are swapping devices. Get an EVSE and any competent electrician could do it. Do you have a picture of the existing installation? AV also inflates permit fees.
Great idea. The city doesn't care which unit is on the wall. So long as the volts/amps match ( I'm sure your RAV4EV unit is 240V, not sure of the amps rating ) the electrician can just swap the docks and you can sell the old one with the car. If anyone from the city asks ... tell them the old one went "bad" and had to be replaced. :)

I am interested as well. I am in Redwood City. TIA.

gudy said:
yeah, and I'm trying to get a list of people interested in a bay area "group buy" of the installation from 1 electrician to get the price down, so let's not derail the topic.

leaf561 : would you be interested in having my electrician come to your place to give you a quote (that would be free), and if so, in which city are you ? (to make sure he's fine going there)

I'm interested as well. I live in Pleasanton and most likely will need a second panel hooked up to a new meter thanks to PG&E. :(

Ready2plugin said:
I'm interested as well. I live in Pleasanton and most likely will need a second panel hooked up to a new meter thanks to PG&E. :(
DeaneG posted an updated PG&E FAQ in the PG&E thread.

http://www.pge.com/myhome/environment/pge/cleanair/electricdrivevehicles/pevfaq/index.shtml

Nothing in there suggests that you must get E9B. It is entirely optional.

I will be moving to a new house shortly and will install an EVSE there. Can you PM me with the electrician info, please?

anyone interested, the electrician I've talked to (no idea if he's good, but he's the one that the management company for the house I rent is using, and I guess that they must have checked a few before choosing him) :

Mik Kovacs
www.baycitieselectric.com
650-358-3966
Lic. #690640

[email protected]

If you contact him, please let him know that you heard about him via an online forum about the Leaf, and please send me a PM. I'd like to know how many people would be interested in buying together, and keep a list of forum members I should contact.
If people want to PM me with other electrician contact information, I'll be glad to ask them to come over and do an assessment for me, so that we get a chance of comparing quotes. (or if anyone else has some free time and wants to volunteer for this task, it would be even better, as finding time to be home to wait for an electrician is not that simple for me)

Here is another one:

Nate from Captive Fuel.
(650) 450 3751
[email protected]

I got a consolidated quote for second meter and charging dock from him. He also called PG&E behalf of me to get some of my questions clarified.

Nate from Captive Fuel gave me a quote today for $395 (not including permit) which is vastly better than the $1040 that AV quoted me.

I did put myself on the list for the AVSE direct. Actually turns out they'd already put me on the waiting list after my initial call to try to get them to explain their exhorbitant rate, I guess they figured I wasn't going to have them install after that. They couldn't confirm for sure whether I'd be able to get it before the end of the year though. If I can't, then I'll just go with level 1 charging for a bit and wait for Leviton probably, since there won't be any point in rushing.

I asked Nate to quote me as well, and the experience was great : sent him an email, he replied really quickly, told him he could go to my house anytime as the panel is outside on the driveway, as would the EVSE be. a couple days later, I got my quote in pdf via email. he's quoting me $495 (not including permit, nor EVSE), which is lower than what Mik had told me (I never got a quote in writing from Mik).

I'd really recommend Nate.

For information, my AV quote for the installation is $1,296.88 + $200 of permit (nate told me the permit in my city would be $150 max).

so, 500 + 150 + 720 (EVSE) + 50 (shipping) = 1420 vs 2334 from AV ... it's almost as good as the federal rebate (which we may or not get based on the AMT patch -- if you're married filing jointly, then unless congress patches the AMT, you're almost certain to pay some AMT)

at 50% off, it's 700 ... what I paid for the quick charge port that I'm likely not going to use anyway ;)

I'll contact AV tomorrow to get some info on the availability of their EVSE as a standalone thing.

I am in Milpitas and am interested in this as well. However, I would like to get the installation done this year and haven't noticed any information about if anyone has been successful in getting an EVSE committed for this year. I also contacted Leviton & their EVSE won't be available until Q1/11. Are there any other vendors out there who can deliver?

For those of you in Redwood City, watch out for problems getting a permit. I live in unincorporated San Mateo County (Emerald Hills) and San Mateo County is being very difficult about EVSE permits. According to my installer, they want site plans, some kind of electric load analysis and other extensive documentation. WAY more expensive than the $175 quote. It sounds like they are treating an EVSE as major construction/electrical work.

My EVSE is installed and running but for now with no permit. Hopefully I won't be ordered to uninstall.

tailgate1234 said:
For those of you in Redwood City, watch out for problems getting a permit. I live in unincorporated San Mateo County (Emerald Hills) and San Mateo County is being very difficult about EVSE permits. According to my installer, they want site plans, some kind of electric load analysis and other extensive documentation. WAY more expensive than the $175 quote. It sounds like they are treating an EVSE as major construction/electrical work.

My EVSE is installed and running but for now with no permit. Hopefully I won't be ordered to uninstall.

Get a permit for a dryer outlet and get a plug in EVSE or cut the cord on the AV one if you want that and plug it in, the city is clueless because they don't get what it is you are installing.

tailgate1234 said:

Interesting. I am also in unincorporated San Mateo County, up on Skyline at about 2200' elevation. My AV quote was for, well let's just say it was for substantially more than I've seen anyone else mention.

Skipping the permits and having someone other than AV do the installation is starting to sound tempting...

mweston said:
tailgate1234 said:

Interesting. I am also in unincorporated San Mateo County, up on Skyline at about 2200' elevation. My AV quote was for, well let's just say it was for substantially more than I've seen anyone else mention.

Skipping the permits and having someone other than AV do the installation is starting to sound tempting...

AV wised up about how difficult it is to get a permit here. They have apparently taken over trying to get the permit from the installer, who is an independent contractor. Apparently San Mateo County (for unincorporated areas) is the only local jurisdiction not granting counter permits. My permit is going to cost AV way more than $175 so they must have raised their prices accordingly.

Nate from Captive Fuel is quoting me $2050 to so provide a dedicated line so I could use the PGE E9b meter if I wanted. He has been very informative and prompt. Here is the description of work.

"100 Amp Meter Main for E9a PGE special rate program. Installation of 1- 30A 240V single phase line to charging location inside garage supplied from new 100 Amp main. Interruption of PGE 200 Amp feed from main utility to garage supplying Main Load Panel for home. Gutter installation for interception of main PGE feed. Polaris connections and complete system testing and balancing."

I don't know if this is a fair estimate or high. anyone? This is in the SF Bay area location.

If I were to just install the EVSE charger to existing panel his quote is $395. I will have to pay for permit etc ($250?) and buy the charger unit ($800).

I am contemplating if its worth doing the extra work for a seperate 100 amp meter. If I do it before the Dec 31st deadline I could use the 50% tax credit for the seperate meter. However I am also thinking that I could go just with a single E9a meter for now instead of dedicated E9b meter.

AV quoted me $2250 for installing just the meter and the permit. of course the charger price is included in this and it connects to my existing main.

Do claim the 50% tax credit, does the EVSE need to be installed and inspected or as long as I have receipts dated to indicate the work was done it is ok? I am not sure if the inspection etc. would be over by the Dec 31st due to the holidays but the electrician is willing to provide the completion of work statement prior to Dec 31st.

The lack of availability of various chargers is another reason I am still waiting..

It should be a 40-amp breaker and circuit for a 30-amp (continuous load) EVSE (like AV's EVSE).

Hurry up, or wait, that is the question. 50% off is very compelling. But, a new tax credit MIGHT get passed, perhaps 30%, or ???

Technically, the EVSE should be "In Service", which requires the city inspection, and possibly a PU inspection if anything is changed with the main feed or meter. Will the IRS check the fine details, probably not unless you are audited. :eek:

Nate has been great for me, he did a great job at installing my EVSE.

I went with E9A, because it actually reduces my electric bill (before I charge the car that is), so I'm not loosing by being on E9A, it may be a different for you if you already use a lot of electricity.

2000 is a lot in electricity equivalent, and you'll have to make it up simply with the difference between E9A and E9B.

Yeah Gudy... thats exactly my thought but if I do get 50% tax credit then its only about $1000. Again not sure if I would be using that much as well.. I believe E9a would work really better....

I might just stick with that for now.. I just have to decide to get a EVSE charger now or wait.
If I knew how soon I was getting my Leaf, it would have helped in decision making. Having a "pending" status does not help...

Back