Best 240VAC charging cable for 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's common to use a 30 amp breaker for a Clipper Creek HCS-25, and it would probably work ok for a 16 amp unit as well - the breaker is there to stop short circuits, after all. I agree, though, that a 50A breaker is too big - it might let the wires melt before it tripped. The obvious compromise is to have the heavy cable installed, but with an easily-swapped 20 amp breaker on it. That leaves 90% of the circuit ready for a larger unit later, but is still safe for now.

I just went with upgrading my existing 120v charger thru EVSEupgrade to 240v and 20A for about $270. I'm using the drying outlet turned from the laundry room to the garage side and I had to change the connector to a locking type L6-30R. The dryer already had 30A service and was not being used (gas dryer). Seems to work as advertised and I have not put gas in my Subaru Crosstrek since the beginning of Feb! I think it's on a half tank right now. I get about 64 miles on an 80% charge and have only charged to 100% twice when I knew I needed the extra margin. I really love my 2013 SL Leaf and so far it's been powered totally by the sun!

sdcoffeeroaster said:
I just went with upgrading my existing 120v charger thru EVSEupgrade to 240v and 20A for about $270. I'm using the drying outlet turned from the laundry room to the garage side and I had to change the connector to a locking type L6-30R. The dryer already had 30A service and was not being used (gas dryer). Seems to work as advertised and I have not put gas in my Subaru Crosstrek since the beginning of Feb! I think it's on a half tank right now. I get about 64 miles on an 80% charge and have only charged to 100% twice when I knew I needed the extra margin. I really love my 2013 SL Leaf and so far it's been powered totally by the sun!

Ah, I dream of covering this three car garage roof with solar panels and going off grid!

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
I am having a real tough time navigating this website so I'm sure there's a better place for this question but this is where I'll be looking for answers to my question!!

I just bought a new to me 2013 RED Nissan Leaf and am having a 240VAC line run to my garage, and I need a good quality 240VAC charging cable for my Leaf! One that plugs into a standard 240VAC jack on the garage wall.

What's the current wisdom here on the best cables for doing this? NOW!

John Kuthe...

Here is my Solution..
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948

It cost me $25 and it charges at 2.88KWh at 12A and 240V. You convert your existing EVSE.
I have been using this for over 3 years and no issues at all. 26K miles done on my car.

Cheers!!

maini said:
JohnKuthe said:
I am having a real tough time navigating this website so I'm sure there's a better place for this question but this is where I'll be looking for answers to my question!!

I just bought a new to me 2013 RED Nissan Leaf and am having a 240VAC line run to my garage, and I need a good quality 240VAC charging cable for my Leaf! One that plugs into a standard 240VAC jack on the garage wall.

John Kuthe...

Here is my Solution..

It cost me $25 and it charges at 2.88KWh at 12A and 240V. You convert your existing EVSE.
I have been using this for over 3 years and no issues at all. 26K miles done on my car.

Cheers!!
And those who'd just as not DIY, there is a fellow MNL member who does the upgrade for people for a somewhat nominal fee. Note I'm not talking about the full-fledged $300 EVSEupgrade option but basically what your thread talks about.

jjeff said:
maini said:
JohnKuthe said:

John Kuthe...

Here is my Solution..

Cheers!!
And those who'd just as not DIY, there is a fellow MNL member who does the upgrade for people for a somewhat nominal fee. Note I'm not talking about the full-fledged $300 EVSEupgrade option but basically what your thread talks about.

I had an electrician came over today and what this house really needs is a new inside panel and both 120V and 240V lines run in PVC pipe back to the garage. Extensive and expensive! But luckily I will have the money VERY soon! When I also buy this house, post electrical upgrade value of course!

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
I had an electrician came over today and what this house really needs is a new inside panel and both 120V and 240V lines run in PVC pipe back to the garage. Extensive and expensive! But luckily I will have the money VERY soon! When I also buy this house, post electrical upgrade value of course!

John Kuthe...
I'd get a second opinion before I spent extra. I don't get why he would run two circuits to the garage, though. Wouldn't it make more sense to put a subpanel in the garage and run just one circuit? From the subpanel, he could wire both 240v and 120v circuits.

davewill said:
JohnKuthe said:

John Kuthe...
I'd get a second opinion before I spent extra. I don't get why he would run two circuits to the garage, though. Wouldn't it make more sense to put a subpanel in the garage and run just one circuit? From the subpanel, he could wire both 240v and 120v circuits.
Not sure of the latest as this thread is now approaching 6 pages :eek: but at one point John was thinking about 3 separate 50a circuits if I remember correctly. Personally I'd just run say a 60a 240v feed to the garage(along with a neutral for 120v outlets) and feed a sub panel. From there I'd think one could feed the (3) 30a circuits, the max our Leafs can charge anyway. I suppose they could also feed 3 50a circuits but know that if you were indeed drawing close to 50a on one of the outlets, you wouldn't have much left over for other things/EVSEs. Of course your sub panel and wiring would be protected by a 60a breaker in the main house panel.
Note there might be a code relating to the minimum breaker to a panel that had 3 50a breakers in it, that would be for the electrician to look into.

davewill said:
JohnKuthe said:

John Kuthe...

I'm gonna take my electrician's best advice for this. He knows what he;d doing and I;m paying him for his knowledge, experience and labor!

After all, he's the licensed, bonded, insured expert in this hunt!

John Kuthe...

jjeff said:
davewill said:
JohnKuthe said:

John Kuthe...
Not sure of the latest as this thread is now approaching 6 pages :eek: but at one point John was thinking about 3 separate 50a circuits if I remember correctly. Personally I'd just run say a 60a 240v feed to the garage(along with a neutral for 120v outlets) and feed a sub panel. From there I'd think one could feed the (3) 30a circuits, the max our Leafs can charge anyway. I suppose they could also feed 3 50a circuits but know that if you were indeed drawing close to 50a on one of the outlets, you wouldn't have much left over for other things/EVSEs. Of course your sub panel and wiring would be protected by a 60a breaker in the main house panel.
Note there might be a code relating to the minimum breaker to a panel that had 3 50a breakers in it, that would be for the electrician to look into.

Yep! That's why I'm paying a professional electrician, Yes, the big electrician's bucks! He's got the knowledge and experience and knows most of the tricks of the trade. I don't, I'm just an Electrical Engineer!

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
davewill said:
JohnKuthe said:

John Kuthe...

I'm gonna take my electrician's best advice for this. He knows what he;d doing and I;m paying him for his knowledge, experience and labor!

After all, he's the licensed, bonded, insured expert in this hunt!

John Kuthe...

Which is why I suggested a second opinion rather than just ignoring his advice...but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Back