[Best Practices] Accelerating...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caross

There is a lot of FUD out there around EVs...
I tried asking these questions on reddit, but really just got different answers. If there was a place to do this right, this is is.

In this thread, I'd like to come up with the most battery efficient ways to accelerate. Through my own experimenting, I think I've figured that out, but I'd like to get the chatter going.

Once we come to an agreement on the best way, I'll add it right here:

Best Method

Ok, so as I see it (and as I have been experimenting) we have too main classes of accelerating:

Full power, short burst
Meaning, step on the pedal and accelerate as fast as possible to the desired speed.

Slow and gradual power, long burst
Slowly accelerate to the desired speed.

Acceleration rate does not make as much difference on an EV as on an ICE because there are so many other variables at work on an ICE, but moderate acceleration is still more efficient due to less time at speed spent under the curve and lower battery IR losses...

There is one answer most of us agree on - it depends. :)

If you are trying to minimize energy while keeping total distance traveled and time to reach that distance constant, then moderate acceleration is optimal (~7 mph/s). Graph here. However, that is somewhat contrived compared to realistic driving scenarios. :-}

smkettner said:
ECO mode says slow and gradual lower power acceleration is best.
Good luck on a consensus.

Ok, we'll skip this.

Which is better, Star Wars or Star Trek? I mean...

Which is better, Peanut Butter or Chocolate? I mean...

Which is better, Vi or EMACS? I mean...

Which is better, Mac or PC? I mean...

(Correct answers, Star Wars, Peanut Butter, Vi, and Mac - BTW. :p)

I use my aftermarket stereo to help my acceleration! :lol:

http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

600watts.jpg

My two cents: For new EV users, it is exciting to test and experiment with multiple driving styles (often to the annoyance of drivers behind them). But after a while all this fine tweaking gets old and you just want to have a pleasant, uncomplicated experience. I've found that the Echo and B mode options give just the control that I need and want. Any additional control only gives you marginal improvements.
In that sense the Leaf is a great car for everyday users.

For acceleration I usually take off like a jet.

Deceleration I try a hard possible to use no brakes at all. I drop into B mode and slow down to a point where the red light turns green again and I can take off.

Everyone behind me hates me but I don't care. Actually I find it very amusing. LOL

asemeco said:
My two cents: For new EV users, it is exciting to test and experiment with multiple driving styles (often to the annoyance of drivers behind them). But after a while all this fine tweaking gets old and you just want to have a pleasant, uncomplicated experience. I've found that the Echo and B mode options give just the control that I need and want. Any additional control only gives you marginal improvements.
In that sense the Leaf is a great car for everyday users.

+1

Back