[Best Practices] Decelerating...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caross

There is a lot of FUD out there around EVs...
I tried asking these questions on reddit, but really just got different answers. If there was a place to do this right, this is is.

In this thread, I'd like to come up with the most battery efficient ways to decelerate. Through my own experimenting, I think I've figured that out, but I'd like to get the chatter going.

Once we come to an agreement on the best way, I'll add it right here:

Best Method

hey, is this going to be just late model LEAFs -- ala B mode, what is that anyway -- or all LEAFs.

but for all:

yes, there is an interesting forum, debate and conundrum around whether it is best to slow in E or use the brake gently, which according to the central energy reader, gets you the same regeneration result.

caross said:
the most battery efficient ways to decelerate.

Depends.
If you can, zero power and coast to a stop.
If not, regenerate to a stop.
If traffic stops fast, friction brake to a stop. And hope the fellow behind you does the same. See sig

i think the ideal is to coast to a stoplight in N, then to select D, if you need more slowing.

After that, it is an even-steven choice between using E or D, and invoking steady but not abrupt braking, as that is done by regeneration.

I have a '12, so Eco to slow on a hill, or city traffic, but as said above, there's lots of variations. A light touch on the brake pedal can give an extra regen circle.

I wish it had "regen lights" in addition to brake lights, not that ICE drivers would know what they were if they did exist. I guess pople behind me think I just drive like an idiot, slowing down way before a light instead of flying up to it and braking.

Coasting is 100% efficient, regen is up to 80% efficient, friction braking is down to 0% efficient.

Make your choice.

I recommend reading ecomodders guide to hypermiling. And let the learning begin.

I would assume you want to decelerate as slow as practical. Coasting, regeneration, braking in that order.
Reducing cruising speed will help reduce losses from slowing.

Do you have a link to that guide? I'd love to read it.

In "B" mode, isn't coasting also regen?

rmay635703 said:
Coasting is 100% efficient, regen is up to 80% efficient, friction braking is down to 0% efficient.

Make your choice.

I recommend reading ecomodders guide to hypermiling. And let the learning begin.

Decelerating: Don't do it. You should set your speed such that you minimize slowing (and accelerating) all-together. Even coasting is not as good as maintaining a constant speed that gets you there at the same time (because if you are coasting it means you were going to fast to begin with).

Back