Best Route and Charging: Santa Monica <> Santa Barbara

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimSouCal

So I searched and read this thread started August last summer and found it very helpful... Pointing out the new stations in Ventura, and indicating the Malibu stations I have already used...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, much has changed since then... And plan B and C need to be in place, me thinks..

I need to go to Santa Barbara this Thursday May 31st midday, and return on late Sunday afternoon. Nice easy pace is fine with me. The Northern portion has some freeway speeds, so I'd need to avoid the speed temptation that really burns the juice but enjoy staying close to the flow in the slow lane if possible.

My thinking, via PCH at 45MPH is to head out from Santa Monica to (15 miles) arrive:
1. Malibu top off to 100% (shopping area or civic center) with a short break, and then 45 miles
2. Ventua grab a booster charge and lunch, likely at the newly installed Patagonia Store (Blink). The city of Ventura has several alternates (chargepoint) if for some reason, the Blink is down... However, got to give the Blink folks credit as their routing and direction map is helpful, then 29 miles arrive
3. Santa Barbara from Ventura at freeway speeds, planned at 65MPHm and I can always back off to make it (but would like to arrive with 2 bars showing).

I am almost tempted to make the drive without the top off in Malibu, but I think that would give me plan C: enough range to make the whole other leg if I eased way back on speeds...

Once in SB, I can trickle up, and repeat the return. Looking for advice and suggestions, especially if my thinking is in error....

Since there are several "alternates" in Ventura, I'd just just top up to 80% in Malibu (or skip as you suggested). Since you only have 29 miles from Ventura to SB, I'd do the same 80% in Ventura. The reason for 80% isn't so much babying the battery, but that the last 20% of charge goes slower.

JimSouCal said:
...3. Santa Barbara from Ventura at freeway speeds, planned at 65MPHm and I can always back off to make it (but would like to arrive with 2 bars showing)...
If you don’t want to be rushed on the 101 north of Ventura, take PCH between Main Street and Seacliff (~10 miles @ ~40mph, no stop signs/lights). Interesting mix of surfers, kites, bikes, and tribe-flagged RVs.

KeiJidosha said:
JimSouCal said:
...3. Santa Barbara from Ventura at freeway speeds, planned at 65MPHm and I can always back off to make it (but would like to arrive with 2 bars showing)...
If you don’t want to be rushed on the 101 north of Ventura, take PCH between Main Street and Seacliff (~10 miles @ ~40mph, no stop signs/lights). Interesting mix of surfers, kites, bikes, and tribe-flagged RVs.
Thanks for this insight that should make for betterment...

davewill said:
Since there are several "alternates" in Ventura, I'd just just top up to 80% in Malibu (or skip as you suggested). Since you only have 29 miles from Ventura to SB, I'd do the same 80% in Ventura. The reason for 80% isn't so much babying the battery, but that the last 20% of charge goes slower.
Thanks for sharing... Yes, Ventura has almost as many charge up stations as Santa Monica....

KeiJidosha said:
JimSouCal said:
This turned out to be a great tip.

One thing is a traffic laden start to Malibu along with very strong headwinds left me with much less of a charge arriving in Ventura. On return the converse was true.

The beach run north of Ventura was a very nice part of the trip and on return I further took surface streets by Ventura and the Oxnard Marinas. Nice area. Thanks again.

Back