Blessing in disguise? Should I walk away - could use advise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sclark

Hi Everyone,

So, I could use your opinions here. Let me start with the story, then the numbers (feel free to skip onto them). We went in yesterday to a local Atlanta dealer to look into leasing a 2013 Nissan Leaf. We negotiated as best we could (we're far from experts in this), and got them down to $369/month on a 24 month lease with $0 down on a Nissan Leaf SV with the Quickcharge upgrade. We selected one with a metallic exterior and black/recycled black interior. We paid the first month payment and signed all of the contracts. The contracts had the VIN number of the car; however, it was at a different Nissan. They said they could get it and have it ready to go by this afternoon. Fast forward to today - I hadn't heard back by 3pm, so I called the dealership and asked for the sales rep we worked with. He informed me they will have it ready to go by 7pm, I said I could be there at 7:30pm after we had a meeting with clients. While on our way there, around 7:05pm, the sales rep calls me to tell me that the other dealership had sold the car we put under lease. And, he said the other car he was able to obtain had a light interior rather than dark (we're not fans of the light interior - it's not what we wanted from the get-go). I ask him if we should just turn around and come back tomorrow or another time when he has more time to get what we agreed upon - he says to still come. So, we continue on. When we get there, he tells us again the situation - we don't agree to the new car - it's not what we had in mind or agreed upon. He says they will simply refund the amount and call it a day.

However, well, while I know 369/mo isn't an insane deal, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get again. I disagree and say I will wait for him to get another car - I ask him if there is another vehicle in Georgia with these same specs. He says no to me (later tonight I look up and find that, indeed, there are others in Georgia with the exact same specs). I ask him to simply give us one slightly better then if what we agreed to isn't available - he doesn't agree to this, says it wouldn't be possible, they are already 'loosing too much'. He wants to cancel the entire contract. So, I first do a bit of research, and talk to the manager on-site (used car manager) - as this is pretty late, all of the managers aren't in. That manager advises that we sort it out with the main manager tomorrow.

To the numbers!

Numbers:
Nissan Leaf SV + Quick Charge Upgrade
$0 Down
$369/month (they wouldn't budge any lower)
24 month lease

Admittedly, I'm not an expert on any of this. I DO believe that they should be bound by the contract and not be able to back out as they've already taken our money. They were trying to say otherwise - the accountant there (or whatever his position is) was telling us that he could just write void on the contracts and it would void them. I disagreed with this as well. We didn't allow them to refund us anything and said we'd speak to the manager tomorrow (the second we started speaking to the accountant member, the sales rep left for the evening - didn't even say good bye to us).

Ok, so, what are your thoughts? It almost feels bait & switch to me - but, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. Should I continue to push the issue with the manager? Is the deal not that good and I should just try again at a different dealer? Should I wait for the 2014 Leaf? Is this a blessing in disguise? What are my choices here that you know of?

Thank you a ton. This is my first post here - I was intending to join after we'd gotten our leaf.

Take the deal to another dealer or wait for year end deals. If the situation were reversed they would try to bind you if you decided to back out. I would not give them any business.

OoO so close! I was at the dealer today as well. Almost had a deal!

Do not let a bad dealership experience sway you from choosing the car you want.

Sleep on it, call up the manager tomorrow, and tell him how disappointed you are. You will know within the first 30 seconds of the call whether or not he's going to work with you. If not, call it quits, and find another dealer who will.

My 2 cents--ultimately the decision is yours.

sclark said:
Ok, so, what are your thoughts?

You only have one item of business with these people. Get your refund right off the bat and don't discuss anything else at all with them. They're rude and dishonest. You can "just write VOID" on them.

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate them!! Quick other questions:

Do you think I'll be able to easily get this kind of deal again at another dealership? How should I approach them/would you approach them (let them know the issue with the other Nissan, or don't say a thing)?

Oh, also, would it be very important for me to try to get this done before the 31st/new month?

after having you return to the dealership after you told them the light interior was a no go and they tried to sell it to you anyway? I would not consider a car from them unless they knocked off a minimum of $20 a month off that lease

$369/mo even with $0 down is not an earth shattering deal. I wouldn't sweat getting it again. Especially at the end of the month.

I'm amazed at how much the deals very within a few months and/or states. We for $205 at signing and $205/mo for a 2013SV + quick charge. It got totaled last week, deals aren't as good but we're still able to get close around $260/mo and trying to get closer. But we haven't been able to find the color that we had before that we liked.

Ok, so, update.

I've been calling around all day today. No one in Atlanta is willing to match their offer. Literally. The best I was offered was 379/month in a color we aren't looking to do. This seems silly to me as I know, from reading here & anywhere else I can find it, that 369/month is not a screaming deal at all - it's fair, but not great (and, maybe even pretty bad). Not a single Nissan would match it at 369/month for 24 months.

Also, it gets better about the original Nissan Dealer. Another Nissan dealer checked the VIN number for me. That vehicle had been SOLD before we ever signed the deal with the original Nissan dealer we were working with!! They knew they were selling us a car that was already sold!! At least, that is my impression - maybe they really thought we'd be ok with a different color/car. Either way, it was intentional, from the get-go. I also called the sales manager there this morning and let him know what happened - he said he'd get one for me, then called to update me that he should know by 2pm ... and then didn't call back. I left him a message at 3pm (I was about to head into a long meeting) checking on how it was going - no call back at all today after that either.

What do you think - give it one more hurrah and try for a similar or better deal at a Nissan in Atlanta that has some (Capitol Nissan - they have awful reviews, but I've seen several here that got their car from them), OR just wait for the 2014 Leaf to come out?

Edit: I'm definitely considering calling in to Clark Howard about this as well. The entire scenario seems fishy to me. I'd like his take on it.

I'm not sure why anyone would waste time & energy calling dealerships in the Internet era. As you have already learned - Most dealerships will flat out lie to you, to get you in the front door. Email is your friend and your "written proof."

There are plenty of great negotiation tips and information in this thread (2013 Lease Information):
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11245" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's worth the entire read.

The Lease deals aren't as aggressive as they were earlier this year, but if you take your time and do your homework - you can still negotiate a great deal. Especially in a city like Atlanta where there are plenty of Nissan dealers to choose from.

When I bought my '13 SL, I was considering ordering it from Fontana Nissan. They'll ship anywhere and likely to beat your high priced market.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks everyone. Reading up now, and waiting until after Christmas. I really appreciate everyone's advice here (and the private pm's too).

I dont believe there will be any year end deals because

1) most LEAFs are selling as fast as they can be built.
2) most areas have little or no inventory
3) the only possible sale might happen in areas where there is inventory but that seems to be CA/WA etc.

but then again; anything can happen. if the announcement does come for the 2014 and there are significant improvements (or significant wording on minor improvements as marketing tends to go that route... :? )

you might have a slowdown in sales that may cause some concern on dealers part.

now most here and there think there will be no significant changes and not sure how that ideology started since Nissan has said mostly nothing about its plans other than vague generalizations. I really cant take stock in statements made earlier this year about future plans simply because plans change and that seems to hold true when Nissan is concerned quite a bit.

sclark said:
...I also called the sales manager there this morning and let him know what happened - he said he'd get one for me, then called to update me that he should know by 2pm ... and then didn't call back. I left him a message at 3pm ...

Mistake. They sensed you were over-eager to begin with and you confirmed again by calling them. Did you get your refund yet? Demand your refund and let THEM grovel or not. Always be prepared to walk away.

Nubo said:
sclark said:
...I also called the sales manager there this morning and let him know what happened - he said he'd get one for me, then called to update me that he should know by 2pm ... and then didn't call back. I left him a message at 3pm ...

Mistake. They sensed you were over-eager to begin with and you confirmed again by calling them. Did you get your refund yet? Demand your refund and let THEM grovel or not. Always be prepared to walk away.

Yep, got the refund without an issue.

sclark said:
Nubo said:
sclark said:

Yep, got the refund without an issue.

Capital Nissan offered me a quote and when I called today to get the deal, they said they could not offer it. The internet sales guy said he could not remember offering the price quote. I have an email with the payment info. They said, sorry. I would not give Capital Nissan any business. They might sell a lot of LEAFs but they don't do it in an honest way..

Back